What's new

Rhodium "factory" options in DE or possibly SE razor?

I have stalked eBay for a good condition Rhodium Gillette British Aristocrat but, I am unwilling to pay the prices I see there for razors in their respective conditions relative to price. Now that Rhodium has gone to ~$20K/oz with inflation and 'green' demand, I have pretty much given up on finding something offered at a price I am willing to pay for the condition of the razor offered. I should note, that I am looking for a fairly clean example without any real concern about cases or accessories when I search eBay.

What NEW DE or SE options exist that come from the 'factory' in Rhodium and what price range am I looking at? I'm not interested in modern Adjustables generally. The newish Rex Envoy DE in Rhodium is $250 as a starting point. And no, I don't want an >$150USD Chinese razor either.

If I don't find anything that really excites me, I will probably start looking at brass options I can replate in bright shiny Nickel with a lot of gleam to give me a big BLING factor! As a side note, I would be interested in anybody's razor report that went down this road and how they feel after it was all said and done!

TIA,
Sid

I am unaware of any inexpensive rhodium options.

Best bet might be to find a beat up Tech for five bucks and then send it for rhodium plating; but if you only want modern razors that's out.

Good luck. Rhodium definitely doesn't look the same as bright nickel. I prefer rhodium, but some people actually like nickel better.

Platinum and palladium have been used as reasonable replacements for rhodium. I don't believe they are as hard, but that is not a lifetime consideration.

I really like the look of the Rhodium plating on my Gillette President over most of my other razors. Just has a different gleam that makes it stand out...that being said I do not think I could pay the prices people are getting for it now. It is part of the collection and does not get much love as I prefer single edge, but it is definitely a stand out razor.

I am unaware of any inexpensive rhodium options.

Best bet might be to find a beat up Tech for five bucks and then send it for rhodium plating; but if you only want modern razors that's out.

Good luck. Rhodium definitely doesn't look the same as bright nickel. I prefer rhodium, but some people actually like nickel better.
Rhodium replating isn't an option these days from any of the vendors recommended on a site like this.

The base material, Rhodium, at ~$20K/oz is simply cost-prohibitive. Even more so when put in solution for replating along with all those additional costs and risks of a quality finish.

Probably your best option right now would be to find a razor that fits your criteria that you will be happy with in brass and then send it out to be plated... There's no sense in buying a razor to have plated that you just aren't going to use. I did that back a few years ago with some vintage Gillette adjustables only to find out I didn't care for the shaves I was getting using them. Took a bath on the resale of them afterwards so lesson learned...

Some of the brass razors out there are Karve, Blackland, Atelier Durdan, Wolfman (Bronze), Lambda, and Timeless (Bronze) to name a few vendors... Your cheapest option would be Karve out of those listed.

Check out antique stores and malls, too. I found this Executive about a year and a half ago at an antique mall. I found the beat up case at another shop.

Attachments

• IMG_4635.jpeg
    IMG_4635.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Check out antique stores and malls, too. I found this Executive about a year and a half ago at an antique mall. I found the beat up case at another shop.
Amazing! I find that most antique stores are bought out when it comes to shaving stuff. And unfortunately a lot of the antique dealers have become aware that some of the razors are worth more than others, so it is rare to find a good razor at a bargain price these days.

Amazing! I find that most antique stores are bought out when it comes to shaving stuff. And unfortunately a lot of the antique dealers have become aware that some of the razors are worth more than others, so it is rare to find a good razor at a bargain price these days.
My experience at stores like that is eBay pricing plus 25%~50%. A bit like pawnshops today, a rusted Crescent wrench for NEW pricing plus ~50%. Lots of leg work for no reasonable return on the time investment.

Rhodium replating isn't an option these days from any of the vendors recommended on a site like this.

The base material, Rhodium, at ~$20K/oz is simply cost-prohibitive. Even more so when put in solution for replating along with all those additional costs and risks of a quality finish.
I would bet that Razor Emporium would be able to plate a razor for you.

Top Bottom