What's new

Restoration of Otto Roth

Recommendation on how to restore Otto Roth? All Gold, or gold comb and cap with nickel handle? Or which combination would look best? Suggestion on the best place to have it done?

Attachments

• IMG_5227.jpeg
    IMG_5227.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
You are posted in straight razor land, but anyway Back Roads Gold is great for re-plating.

Myself, one finish, not a mix of two. Gold would be the original look. I have a BRG Goodwill in gold that is excellently done.

I have a New Short Comb plated in rhodium and I love it.

My Evil Otto says

"Replate me and I will replate your face"
IMG_20220502_203917436.jpg

Evil Otto does have an attitude problem sometimes. He demands excellent technique.

He can come over as a little spikey. Remember that he was a budget New LC in the Gillette lineup. His fangs are slightly less refined than the slightly more pricy New long combs in the Gillette range in the period.

But when he is in a good mood he gives an outstanding shave.

I say leave as is. A good soak with dishwashing liquid in hot water for about 30 mins and a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush will put Otto in a tractable mood.

B.t.w that looks to be a common bar handle. The Roth had a thin bar handle which appears to be unique to the model.
proxy.php

The 501 Special Set also used the thin common bar handle, Although the 501 handle seems to have slightly more knurling at the top.
proxy.php

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

lasta

Blade Biter
The shiny look is not for everyone, but for me it is a must!

That being said (and no knock on Back Roads Gold), I'd rather polish something myself than send it out. I've seen some of the results from 3rd party restorers. Excellent shine, but also signs of excessive material removal.

Caps and baseplates will come back to you noticeably thinner and the razor will be more aggressive than it was originally intended.

That is not mentioning the rounding of edges from restoration jobs. Somehow, Gillette found a way to get a mirror polished finish, while still maintaining sharp corners.

Thanks, yeah I have been in conversation with him, seems like that is where I will go…
You are posted in straight razor land, but anyway Back Roads Gold is great for re-plating.

Myself, one finish, not a mix of two. Gold would be the original look. I have a BRG Goodwill in gold that is excellently done.

I have a New Short Comb plated in rhodium and I love i

lasta

Blade Biter
The photo was taken after a mild Noxon clean…it tarnishes after a month or two…
Never tried Noxon, but I assume it works like any other metal polish? Just need more work.

The one on the left was polished 6 months ago, right about a year. Wipe dry after use and theyll stay shiny for quite a while.
20231223_212721.jpg

My Evil Otto says

"Replate me and I will replate your face"
View attachment 1767842

Evil Otto does have an attitude problem sometimes. He demands excellent technique.

He can come over as a little spikey. Remember that he was a budget New LC in the Gillette lineup. His fangs are slightly less refined than the slightly more pricy New long combs in the Gillette range in the period.

But when he is in a good mood he gives an outstanding shave.

I say leave as is. A good soak with dishwashing liquid in hot water for about 30 mins and a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush will put Otto in a tractable mood.

B.t.w that looks to be a common bar handle. The Roth had a thin bar handle which appears to be unique to the model.
proxy.php

The 501 Special Set also used the thin common bar handle, Although the 501 handle seems to have slightly more knurling at the top.
proxy.php

Enjoy!

Great outline of a classic!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I have one that I haven’t had replated. Never felt the need to. My slim aristocrat on the other hand does need it. When I eventually get it done I plan on sending it to BRG

ALL gold :D

you got youself a head tapper there [most some old men were comb tappers][you got a head tapper] some metal will have to go, don't send it to me, I don't do it gently I get the 60 grit angle grinder into them :D

That is not mentioning the rounding of edges from restoration jobs. Somehow, Gillette found a way to get a mirror polished finish, while still maintaining sharp corners.
The Big G ........God....... errr King G was dealing with newly cast or machined brass made/cast/machined yesterday, he weren't taking off the plating he were putting it on :D

Top Bottom