What's new

The Discos razor

What would this razor be? I know it's a bad pic (not mine, I'm looking to buy it).
Some sort of ever ready gem or something? They say that the pic is yellow (in reality the razor is silver). They say it's german...

proxy.php

What would this razor be? I know it's a bad pic (not mine, I'm looking to buy it).
Some sort of ever ready gem or something? They say that the pic is yellow (in reality the razor is silver). They say it's german...

proxy.php

That is very difficult to see and there where many razors during that period using an almost identical head and handle. It could be one of about 10 razors I can think of off the top of my head. Ask the seller for better pictures and what it says on the head, case as well.

It could be a Star, Gem, Ever Ready, Comfort, Yankee and so on.

Whatever it is, I'd be curious to see better pictures, including one of the other side of the head. Are those wedge blades in the case? It looks like it might be similar to a Kampfe Bros. wedge blade Star.

Regards,
Tom

Whatever it is, I'd be curious to see better pictures, including one of the other side of the head. Are those wedge blades in the case? It looks like it might be similar to a Kampfe Bros. wedge blade Star.

Regards,
Tom

yep. they came in sets of 2 and 4 blades i think.

So.... here it is. I'm not satisfied since its missing the blades and the handle, but since I got it for 20 dollars and is ment to be a display piece, I don't mind.
What would the year of this razor be? cca. 1880-1910?

Here are the pics. (I dont even have to ask you guys if anyone got a spare handle and/or blade:frown:)

The wooden box:

proxy.php

"Lock"

proxy.php

Open Sesame!

proxy.php

The razor head with the blade holder (for stropping and honing) and a "I dont know what it is and does it belong here" part.

proxy.php

Razor "head"

proxy.php

That's an interesting razor. I hadn't seen one before. My guess as to the age, based upon other razors of similar design, would be just before or right around the turn of the last century.

That third piece looks to be the lower part of the handle. What you seem to be missing is the upper section of the handle.

I suspect the complete handle from a Kampfe Bros. Star would fit your razor and look very similar, but it appears, assuming that is the original lower section, that the threads are reversed from those on a Kampfe. In other words, on yours, that lower section seems to have the female thread whereas on a Kampfe, the upper section has the female thread.

If you should find a Kampfe Bros. Star with a bad head and going for cheap but has a handle that looks similar to your lower section, I think I would try to get it and use the complete handle on your razor. Although it wouldn't actually be "proper", it would certainly look real close unless I miss my guess. The only other problem is, on a Kampfe, the little "bumps" on the handle, if you look very close, are actually little stars.

If you only want to get the razor into shaving condition and don't care if it looks original, I believe most any razor handle with a 10-32 thread would fit onto the head.

Regards,
Tom

That's interesting. Apparenly, the handle section is off of a Star razor. It's just a little different than those I'm familiar with as far as the threaded section is concerned.

That kind of leaves us out in the cold as to what the original handle should look like.

Dave and Fuzzy both seem to be familiar with the razor. If one of them has one, I suspect he could supply a picture of the handle. How about it Dave . . . Fuzzy?

Regards,
Tom

well, i certainly dont have this razor :tongue_sm

but as far as the handle goes, it should be in 2 parts. the first part is where it screws into the base of the head. the end of it is hollow. the second part (pictured) is inserted into it, round part in, and screwed in. the stropping attachment goes into the bottom of that piece (also having a hollow end). when stropping is desired you simply unscrew the razor head and voila.

I sent a mail to the guy who sold it to me (has no idea what it is and what parts it has...). Maybe he overlooked something, or could find something similar...
The dimensions where the blade should fit is about the dimensions of a gem blade (width and length). I was thinking of putting another handle (the hole is about 3 mm in diameter)...

1. Intresting, what is written on the razor "head":
aparato de seguridad
sicherheits- rasierapparat
safety shaver
rasoir de surete
rasoio di sicurezza

Made in Germany
trade mark Discos

2. Intresting

www. razor and brush.com/perkam.html

I was looking at this site, and my head and a star razor head, to me, look identical. Only the 2 stars are missing... And the bottom of the handle...:001_huh:

proxy.php

proxy.php

a lot of different razors borrowed heavily off of each other then. and a gem blade might look like it will fit, but it wont; a wedge blade is a TINY bit wider.

Top Bottom