What's new

Review of Honeybee spa soaps

I agree with this review except for the fact I would give a rating of 10 for scent. The scent of the soaps I have tried so far have been great. These scents include: Very Sexy for Men, Drakkar, and Old Spice. These soaps are scented just right as far as I'm concerned, not overly strong, but scented just right so they can be appreciated without being over bearing or causing irritation. As stated in the review everything else about the Honeybee soaps is pure perfection and I just love the way they leave my face feeling. I have yet to find any other soap or cream to be as good.

Bud

Bud

I agree with you about the scent of the soaps, they are fantastic.
Of all the criteria of soaps I think scent might be the most subjective of all. Whats great for me might be over the top for you. I want to be totally immersed in the scent while I am using it!:biggrin:

Jim, great job on the review! Honeybee shave soaps have been a great find for me as well. I too have spent mega$$$ on soaps that were hyped to be the 'all-in-all' and then I ended up tossing most of them. I've been primarily a cream user because I had not been able to find but one soap that I was really, really happy with and that is Tabac. I had just about given up on finding additional soaps and had resorted to being content with the various creams I have in my rotation. :frown:

So many soaps irritate my sensitive skin, but I have not had that problem so far with the HB soaps. I credit part of that to the fact that Sue has apparently been able to achieve a good balance in using fragrance oils; i.e. use enough to give a nice strong fragrance but not enough to cause irritation in most men. Like most products, they have to be made to work for the majority I imagine.

Sue offers a plethora of fragrances and says she has more coming. Just what we need...more soaps to buy...and more places to store them. :biggrin: She also indicated in another thread that she would soon be offering the original cake as well as a stackable jar with the soap already poured in place [no more slip slidin' around]. :smile: I love the 'slip' the soap provides and the ease with which it lathers; and the lather is as luxurious as some of my premium creams. And at $2.50/cake this is for sure one of the best values in wetshaving! :cool:

I too have spent mega$$$ on soaps that were hyped to be the 'all-in-all' and then I ended up tossing most of them.
PD
Don't I know that pain in the wallet! :mad:

The Tabac has been something I want to try-
It seems our opinions while similar ''go against the grain'' of many other folks experience on the B&B,do you think its type of skin or beard or ??

Thanks

The Honeybee soaps are awesome. I will do an occasional Nancy Boy or Proraso day shave but then I come right back to one of the shea butter soaps. I continue to be amazed at the slickness and closeness of the shave. They lather up in a fraction of the time it takes me to lather other soaps and when I'm rushed in the morning, every minute counts.:biggrin:

Jim,

I think it has a lot to do with sensitive skin types. It seems many folks are amazed that I have 'sensitivity issues' with certain products, but what works for one will not neccesarily work for all or most. For me it has boiled down to 'whatever works for me.' I'm sure I will continue to try other soaps and creams as well, mostly just because I like variety and am willing to pay the price to see which ones work and which ones don't.

I read so many reviews about Tabac being a great soap but highly fragranced, so I delayed ordering because I was thinking it would probably irritate my skin. I had tossed so many soaps and was about to give up on soaps altogether when I said, 'what the heck, I'll buy ONE more.' So I ordered the Tabac from Charles as QED. It turned out to be a winner! It is a very unique soap. Everyone has a different description of the scent and it seems to be a love it or hate it scent. It is a VERY hard soap; you can use it several times and it still looks like it has never been used, so a bowl will last a really long time. It took me a couple of tries to get the lather 'right,' but when I did I found it produces a slick, rich, luxurious lather that gives a great shave. I do like the scent and the best description I've heard is that it smells like 'English Leather on Steroids.' Some may disagree with that but it seems fairly accurate to me.

So at this point I have Tabac and Honeybee soaps in my rotation, that's it as far as soaps are concerned. As for creams I have several, some of which I will replace when empty and some of which I will not replace. One of my favorite creams right now is Kiss My Face in both the Lavender/Shea Butter and the Cool Mint; a great value in a great cream and available at most health/natural food stores. Some of my other favorites are D.R. Harris Lavender, T&H Ultimate Comfort and Nancy Boy.

To sum it up, I currently have six Honeybee scents to enjoy and I plan on buying more since they are available at a price point that one can enjoy a vast array of fragrances without a huge investment. I like the fact that the base recipe for all the soaps are the same, only the fragrance is different. You can count on a consistent shave from fragrance to fragrance and I really like that.

greenerock said:
The Honeybee soaps are awesome. I will do an occasional Nancy Boy or Proraso day shave but then I come right back to one of the shea butter soaps. I continue to be amazed at the slickness and closeness of the shave. They lather up in a fraction of the time it takes me to lather other soaps and when I'm rushed in the morning, every minute counts.:biggrin:

Doug,

I really like the lather the Nancy Boy cream produces but I can truthfully say that when one dials in the right water/soap ratio, Honeybee soaps produce an equally good lather and leave ones face feeling 'mighty fine.' I don't know if it's the shea butter, clay, hemp or vitamin E or a combination of them, but whatever it is, it just plain works! :thumbup1:

I keep reading that these soaps are $2.50/cake, but none of the listed shaving soaps I see are this cheap (they're $3.29/cake).

Is there some type of discount for forum members or have the prices recently been raised?

Mr.Benn said:
I keep reading that these soaps are $2.50/cake, but none of the listed shaving soaps I see are this cheap (they're $3.29/cake).

Is there some type of discount for forum members or have the prices recently been raised?

They are $3.29 each or 4 for $11.95. At any rate they are one of the best values going for a high qualitiy shaving soap. I absolutely love the performance of the HB soaps and I'm sure you will too. No other soap with this kind of lather and performance can be had for these prices IMHO.

I agree that these soaps are VERY nice. Absoltely a 10 when you factor in the price.

They (to me) are a worthy successor to Will G's soaps except for three differences:

1) they cut closer
2) slightly less moisturizing
3) better scents (purley subjective, but Will's scents didn't do much for me).

So far I've only tried the "Old Spice" and it was a great "take me back" scent with wonderful shave properties.

Another winner from another Sue.

Unfortunately, I had to raise my prices slightly today, as Ebay is implementing a substantial fee increase effective Aug. 22. This is the 3rd fee increase for store sellers in @1 1/2 years, and I've absorbed them until this one, but I can no longer afford to do so. This fee increase is in addition to substantial shipping rate increases this year for my supplies. I tried to keep the increase as minimal as I could comfortably afford to, but effective today, shaving soaps have gone from 2.50 to 3.29. I think this is still a really good deal, and hope you'll agree.

HB Sue

Sue,
It's still a fantastic price. I've spent waaaaay more on creams, soaps, gels, etc. that didn't give a shave that's nearly as good or as enjoyable as your soap.:thumbup1:

The Bay Rum is da' bomb! :thumbsup: I think I could shave with this stuff everyday and be happy. It is my favorite Bay Rum and I will be buying more for sure!

Honeybee_Sue said:
Unfortunately, I had to raise my prices slightly today, as Ebay is implementing a substantial fee increase effective Aug. 22. This is the 3rd fee increase for store sellers in @1 1/2 years, and I've absorbed them until this one, but I can no longer afford to do so. This fee increase is in addition to substantial shipping rate increases this year for my supplies. I tried to keep the increase as minimal as I could comfortably afford to, but effective today, shaving soaps have gone from 2.50 to 3.29. I think this is still a really good deal, and hope you'll agree.

HB Sue

Sue- will you have the new tubs ready soon? and how about the new scents you promised? Hurry!:biggrin:

Honeybee_Sue said:

HB Sue

Oh, that's right. I remember reading about eBay's latest fee-increases, and how they would likely hit those with eBay stores especially hard. Perhaps Google will heed the pleas for a competitive alternative to eBay?

Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to imply that the new prices were in any way unreasonable. From what I've read about the quality of your soaps, $3.29/cake still sounds like a tremendous bargain.

Yes, they claim they have to balance the Ebay marketplace, or some such excuse. Just another story to increase fees because they can, but I guess when you're as big as Ebay, you can pretty much do what you want.
I've been selling on Ebay since 2004, and have kept the same pricing since the beginning, so having to increase most of my product line was painful for me, but it was just too big a financial hit to absorb this time.

Jim, I have the new jars, and just need to get a pic to list. I have a few of the new fragrances ready, but you all have kept me so busy remaking my current line, I'm struggling to keep up LOL. Initially, I'll be offering the current size puck with the jar, so you'll have the choice to use it in the jar, store it there, or use your own favorite container.

And Ron, I just got more of your favorite Bay Rum in and made another batch this weekend.

HB Sue

Honeybee_Sue said:
Yes, they claim they have to balance the Ebay marketplace, or some such excuse. Just another story to increase fees because they can, but I guess when you're as big as Ebay, you can pretty much do what you want.
I've been selling on Ebay since 2004, and have kept the same pricing since the beginning, so having to increase most of my product line was painful for me, but it was just too big a financial hit to absorb this time.

Jim, I have the new jars, and just need to get a pic to list. I have a few of the new fragrances ready, but you all have kept me so busy remaking my current line, I'm struggling to keep up LOL. Initially, I'll be offering the current size puck with the jar, so you'll have the choice to use it in the jar, store it there, or use your own favorite container.

And Ron, I just got more of your favorite Bay Rum in and made another batch this weekend.

HB Sue

Sue, any plans to start shipping to Canada - at your prices, duty wouldn't be an issue and shipping would be pretty reasonable (obviously, purchaser to pay).

Thanks.

I'm working on shipping to Canada...just need to figure out which of those dang custom forms I need lol and to see how many soaps I can fit into a Global Priority flat rate envelope.

HB Sue

Top Bottom