What's new

Cheapest Edwin & Jagger Super Badger Brush

I am sorely tempted to pick up one of these brushes. Knowing how the knot size corresponds to brushes I have may convince me to actually order one! Which size, small or medium, corresponds to a C&E best brush? Also, how does the large compare to the size of the B&B brush? :001_unsur

The C&E Best Badger is a "small" with a knot size of 19mm.
Since Edwin & Jagger makes the C&E brushes their "small" is the same 19mm.
Medium 21mm and Large 23mm.

The confusion is that the imitation tortoiseshell brushes, don't show the knot size, but they are the same as other described on same page.

I'm very much interested in the EJ Super that Xavier mentioned. Likewise in the EJ Marble brush that smithno suggested. I'm almost ready to buy either one. My problem is brush size. I'm inclined towards brushes with at least 60 mm bristle length, and a knot size of at least 23 mm.

So which of the brushes would have what I need? The EJ Super size medium, large, or extra-large? or the EJ marble medium or large?

Dang, those websites don't give specs. I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me the measurements of the EJ brushes.

Thanks.

According to this brush, which is the same type. A large brush should fit your needs as it is has a 23mm knot and a loft of 60mm.

If you want to be safe, just get and extra large and it will definitely meet your requirements. You can also email EJ and get the dimensions.

The sizes of the brush correspond to the other EJ brush sizes. Just look around the website for small, medium, large, extra large dimensions.

Knot sizes....: 19mm, 21mm, 23mm, 25mm
Bristle length: 46mm, 56mm, 60mm, 62mm

Makes me which I would had gotten a medium size brush instead of a small. :ohmy: I was not looking at bristle length, but there is quite a jump and a better buy (IMO). :001_smile

I received my brush in the mail today, and although I haven't used it yet, I can already tell this is a huge step up from my current brush. It has nice, dense bristles that are super soft, but not floppy.

It came with a free acrylic shave brush stand too!

Hats off to the English Shaving Co. :biggrin:

This looks like a great buy, I need a decent first brush after suffering with a cheap and nasty one and the tortoise in medium seems to fit the bill. Thanks for your help guys.

Just put my order in for the medium tortise shell brush. This will be my very first brush so I cant wait to get it. By the way how long does shipping take to get over here (Chicago)? Do they provide a tracking number to go by or anything?

The post man delivered a pair of the EJ Super Badger brushes with the imitation marble handle. I couldn't decide whether to order the small or medium, so I ordered both. I got BADS bad!:eek: Pictures are below. Picture 1 is the two new EJ brushes with my other EJ-made brushes. The brush on the left is the $39 EJ Best from Duluth Trading Co. Next to it is the EJ Super Medium that came today and next to that is the C&E Best. Picture 3 is a close-up of these brushes. The two brushes on the right are the Super Marble in small next to a C.O. Bigelow Pure Badger. Eyeballing it, the medium looks to be same size as the C&E Best and the small is the same size as the small Pure. The size is not a big deal, but I had trouble visualizing the sizes against something I am familiar with.

Both burshes are extremely soft to the touch. I'll try to take some pictures of them in action and post a review this weekend. Bottom line is these are fantastic buys for very, very nice brushes! Oh, and both came with clear plastic stands...

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Wash them and let them bloom! I just got home last night and found mine waiting in the mail. It is currently soaking in borax to get rid of the Badger Butt odor.

Great information! Thanks for posting. I was really tempted in purchasing on of these just because of the price but they don't look much different than the CE Best.

My new brush is on the left. It is next to a C&E Best
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Infotech, The size of the medium is similar. But the hair is much softer. I suspect after it's used a couple of times that it will bloom out nicely. At about $40, the small is only $5 more than the C&E, but the difference in quality is much, much greater than $5!!! :thumbup1:

OK, so now it seems the question (for me) is: $40 small Super or $50 medium Super?? According to theenglishshavingcompany.com, the difference is only 0.2", and looking at the pictures, it's hard to tell. Smithno, you have both -- is there a noticeable difference? And how is it compared to the EJ/CE Best?

-benjy

On the pair I got, the small is slightly smaller than the C&E Best. Maybe there's a difference in the tortouse vs marble because my medium looks to be the same size as the C&E Best. In Rickw's picture, his small seems the same size. The handle on my small is also shorter than the C&E brush. At least on mine, the price difference is worth it! That said, you can't go wrong with either type/size!!

Yeah, that's what it seems like from the photos. maybe the marble handle is shorter. Doesn't really matter -- I have small hands. But is there a significant difference between the small and the medium?

I got my brush yesterday. It feels absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. The bristles feels great and I'm looking forward to trying out a nice warm lather.

Top Bottom