What's new

Cheapest Edwin & Jagger Super Badger Brush

Does anyone have any comments on this EJ Super Badger Brush, it is the most inexpensive Super at $40. It does not tell me knot size, but I assume is the same as the next one up or 19mm. I looked up reviews on this one but none available.

What do you think is this an easily better brush than C&E Best brush for $35 ? What if compared to C&E Super brush at $85 ? (Just a different handle, right?)

Thanks, I have been reading much about brushes and it just seemed that this was a great price.

I have the EJ Superbadger Large (23mm) brush. This one. All I can say is that it's an outstanding brush. It lathers and lathers and lathers.... It's outstandingly finished, hasn't shed one hair, is soft yet the tips don't bend. I recommend it.

discontinued line does not mean reject, but maybe just not popular enough to keep making (at least, that is what I hope)

I just figured that since it has "SUPER" badger hair, it would be a great brush for the price. Any other Edwin & Jagger super badger just have a different handle, right? I mean, they all seem to have the same light bulb shape head.

Is the knot size different between 19mm and 21mm (in the medium) noticeable? And no I am not talking price difference.

Thanks for your input.

I have one of the EJ tortoise medium brushes in super. It is a great brush for the price. The tips aren't quite as soft as my shavemac 177, but it is more dense than my vulfix 2234 and not floppy. The brush I have has a bit of a lightbulb shape to it, but I would consider it a fan type. I also have a chatsworth EJ brush in super and it's shape is closer to a lightbulb, but not as pronounced as my shavemac.

For $40-$50 you can't go wrong with one of these brushes.

Does anyone have any comments on this EJ Super Badger Brush, it is the most inexpensive Super at $40. It does not tell me knot size, but I assume is the same as the next one up or 19mm. I looked up reviews on this one but none available.

I got this brush in small and large. Quality on both is outstanding, comparable to my Shavemac and Vulfix in super.

I wish I would have purchased the medium, because for me, the small is just too small. It also does no hold as much water as the large (obviously). I love the large, but it is pretty big. I think the medium would be "just right".

This discontinued brush is a great deal, and whichever one you get will serve you excellently.

I used my last brush for about 15 years. Just got a C&E last year. I'm over 60 so I really don't need another badger but I'll probably order one of these tomorrow.

Rick

I have purchased the various EJ st and best badger brushes from the English Shaving Co, usually on sale, from The Gentleman's SHop, and C&E. The ST brushes are excellent! I'm not too impressed with the best badger though. They shed. I had 2 small C&E best badger brushes for $35 each(a good brush for beginners) and they shed 4-7 hairs at each shave. Last week I returned them to C&E and for $26.50 more or so I exchanged them for the new ebony handle ST.
I have 2 best badger Ex large in ebony & med i tortoise which I purchased on sale from the English shaving Co, and the ebony sheds. I got so used to fine & super-st badger that best and pure badger are scratchy on my face. Yesterday I shaved with a st blue & nickel handled Shavemac that I purchased from B&B, with Lemon AOS shave soap & Progress Razor. Loved the shave. Today I shave with a Caswell-Massey pure badger brush, same soap, Parker razor, derby blade, and I felt like I was dancing cheek to cheek with a porcupine. So much for my regimine.

So, I guess in conclusion it is a great buy for a "Super" because it is discontinued. However, I should get the medium size with the 21mm knot for $50.

How often does Edwin Jagger have any specials like these?
Do I check with The English Shaving Company, C&E, or The Gentleman's Shop?

I ordered the small super from ESC. The total was $41.35 including shipping. I have the small C&E in best and haven't had any hair loss problems with it.

Well, enough contemplation... I am placing the order tomorrow for the EJ "Super" Badger, Imitation turtle. I have it narrowed down and just have to decide between small or medium, not bad considering the multitude of brushes. Anyone still looking for a good first brush, this looks like a good deal in my opinion.

Thanks to all for your input :smile:

Just been reading the thread about the now discontinued Totry brushes. Here is the low down. EJ discontinued manufacture of the torty material as the demand was insufficient but any items in the sale are perfect and great value for money. EJ sale items, in any quantity, are only available from The English Shaving Company. The brush in white marble material is another example of a discontinued line but these brushes have been made using exactly the same standards as all other Edwin Jagger items. Knot size of the small brush is 19mm. I think there are actually only two left in stock now then that is it! Bridget.

I have one of the EJ tortoise medium brushes in super. It is a great brush for the price. The tips aren't quite as soft as my shavemac 177, but it is more dense than my vulfix 2234 and not floppy. The brush I have has a bit of a lightbulb shape to it, but I would consider it a fan type. I also have a chatsworth EJ brush in super and it's shape is closer to a lightbulb, but not as pronounced as my shavemac.

For $40-$50 you can't go wrong with one of these brushes.

I agree with you 100%. I have the EJ Super Large (23mm) and the Shavemac 177. The tips of the Shavemac are indeed a tad softer on the skin. The shape of the Shavemac knot is more conical than the EJ.

IMO, a medium is the best all around for the price. You go two steps up from a C&E. One step from "Best" to "Super" and another step from size "small" to "medium". If this is your 1st brush, I would not suggest a Large.

Top Bottom