What's new

Visited Trumper's shop

I recently visited London for a short break with my family.As we were up by Picadilly Circus I noticed on my map that Jermyn Street wasn't too far away so after getting the ok from my good lady decided to visit the Trumper's store.As we walked down the street I almost walked right past as the shop was a lot smaller than I expected.When I entered I was taken aback by the old worldy,luxury of the surroundings.Wood and glass cabinets lit by bright downlighters showing off an abundance of shaving goodies.The service was of course excellent and I still can't understand how I managed to limit my spending to a single shaving brush! Of course I felt like buying half the shop but one must be sensible in these situations.When I had decide on which brush to buy ( a £30 pure badger) the sales guy asked if I needed any shaving cream with it.I politely said " no thank you" while inwardly saying to myself "if I buy another cream the wife may divorce me".I also had a look round the Crabtree and Evelyn and the Penhaligon's stores.Anyway if any of you guys get the chance to visit any of these stores they are great and a lot better than shopping on line!:001_smile

It is a great place to pop into for a look and perhaps a purchase. Floris is just across the street, and Taylors, DR Harris and Truefitt & Hill are within a couple of minutes walk, so if you have permission the next time you are in Picaddilly they are worth the stroll.:drool:

Did you see the amazing little chemist shop Maitlands, on Picadilly?

I saw it but didn't go in.Had two young sons with me so as you could imagine I was boring them with the shops!Hopefully next time I can visit some of the other shave shops

If SWMBO is problematic on a Picadilly Expedition, just ditch her. Catch her back @ the hotel later & just act like you are real worried....No Problemo

Only thing is if I had ditched her I probably would have spent about a thousand quid!!! She keeps my spending under conrol with regards to shaving supplies.Me alone beside all those shaveshops is a bad idea:wink: :rolleyes:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
They just have to do an episode plugging a new shave cream when The Donald finally gets around to doing The Apprentice -- London.

I just came back from London as well. I went to Trumper's to get some things. When I paid I noticed a bottle of Balvenie next to the cash register. I smiled and was promptly offered a glass. Had a nice chat about shaving, then went on, with a distinct springiness in my step, to TOBS down the street...

Best - MM

Amusing how we think these places should be bigger than they are. I was not impressed with GFT, I thought is was full of bric-a-brac and they didn't really care to serve me. TOBS was like a bazaar, full of loud people with no manners (Londoner's euphamism for a non-Londoner). D.R. Harris was a quiet emporium that offered a little assistance, that wasn't that good anyway. T&H gave me loads of samples of colognes and their main business was the barber's out back anyway. Penhaligon's is a satellite outlet, one really ought to go to Covent Garden or perhaps Windsor (literally across the road from the Queen's place.) Floris was a palace to perfumery, I tried every scent on little pieces of Floris cardboard without any member of staff approaching me (wonderful, shopping in peace!) Have I missed anywhere? I did like the squeaky floorboards in GFT though, that was the best bit of my tour.

I really do suggest that any visitor to our great city pop over for an hour or two, all these places are just around the corner from Green Park, The Ritz hotel (where you can get tea for two, or is it two for tea?), Fortnum and Mason on Picadilly, and the famous Picadilly Circus. You'll also find less tourists off the beaten track and have a nicer stroll. There are loads of other shops so the wife and children can enjoy themselves more.

Top Bottom