What's new

Head Shavers: What do YOU use?

Has anyone else gone "north of the border" and decided to shave their head? I have regularly (several years now), but I'd like some input on what everyone uses. My Merkur is...okay but I'm usually left with bloody chunks missing (more my head's fault than the razor) and often need someone's eyes to make sure I don't leave stripes of untrimmed stubble.

Is there any razor that does a good job on the dome that you'd back? And, also, how do you get that fine Kojak look down?

Scott (grabbing more tissue corners)

Last edited:
I still use a Mach 3 for my head, DE for the face.
Shave from the crown down toward the face, then re lather and from face to crown. Then just down strokes for back and side, never cut myself yet ;)

Scott,

I use Trac II / Atra and sometimes DE for the head. DE and Injectors for the face.

You might want to try a Trac II that will provide some protection and no pivot until you get your techinque down. After you refine your techinque you can try the DE again.

Last edited:
Usually use my SS Adjustable with a blue bird blade, just take your time and go slow, can usually feel if there needs to be another pass.

Second time for me with a Fat Boy DE. It can be done, soap soap soap. And just be cool, like sanding a chunk of wood. Feel with one hand the stuble, and keep it light.:lol:

Been shaving the dome for 3 years. Tried all the usual weapons but the one that works best for me is the headblade with an Atra cartridge in eat. Cheap and the most effective for me.

Takes a bit to get used to the headblade, but once you do it is a quick and easy job.

I've been shaving my head for about 4 years now, and when I recently changed to DE, I was a little nervous, but it's just as easy. I did try that headblade, and wow, is it a piece of junk! My disposable Gillettes were better.

Just take it easy and you'll be ok. I'm just starting out with DE and haven't been to the hospital yet!

Headblade all the way. If you would like a code to order stuff from their website with a 20% discount...send me a PM.

If I wetshave my head I like using the Schick Quattro. It does a really nice job with minimal nicks and irritation. If I want an irritation and nick free shave I use my Braun Syncro. It gets me bbs and I can splash on the Aqua Velva afterwards and just get the menthol cooling effect with no burning feeling.

Clayton

Go Straight young man, its the only way.

I've been head shaving for about 10 years, used to use the Mach, then the DE and now use a straight.

No problems with the blade(s) getting clogged up, can use the full length of the blade or the shoulder or tip to get into all the nooks and cranies.

I find it easier to learn to shave my head than my face.

I read some of the threads shown above, and I'll qualify my statement about the headblade. I used their blade, and it was awful. Maybe you get better results using another cartridge as others have done, but as a whole it wasn't for me.

I'm surprised at the number of comments about using a DE taking too long on the head. It may actually be faster than my face in my case, because I don't need as many passes to get a bbs shave. In any case, it's quick and easy.

Disclaimer: I use a Merkur 23C. I'm told it's a very conservative razor. That, the long handle and the price made it my choice for learning on. It is a little too mild for me, but maybe that's why it works so well on my head.

I used a Headblade for about 3 years. I've now switched to a DE and have been using one for the noggin' for the past few months. It was a bit of an ajustment, but after that, no problem with getting great shaves.

HeadBlade with Wilkinson Sword twin cartridge has worked better for me than DE's, Straights or Conventional type razors. Very easy to control and can be done in shower without mirrors or anything special, just apply HeadSlick shave cream and go from front to back twice than back to front maybe twice and guaranteed BBS results ! No nicks or irritation every time for me. Then a splash of Witch Hazel and your favorite after shave. That's Head Shaving made simple !

Since I'm relatively new to the DE world, I've only tried shaving with my DE once - yesterday to be exact - and with decent results.

Lately though, I've been using the Bump Fighter razor. I threw the blades that came with it in the trash after I "tested" one on my head. Not to bad, but not great either.

What IS great about the Bump Fighter is that the handle fits the Trac II razor blades perfectly and the cost of the handle is about $3 and available in most drug stores and supermarkets, in my area anyway.

So, if you like the Trac II razors and need a new or extra handle, that's the best, well, cheapest way to go that I've found so far.

Top Bottom