What's new

"hybrid" baseplate -- what do you think of them?

I'm still trying to come up to speed on accepted terminology, and for want of definitive knowledge, I am referring to DE razor designs that are like the Fatip l'ibrido: one side with an open comb, and the other closed or straight.

I am sure you've had much more experience with these than I, but I'l include some images for your convenience:

l'ibrido:

librido1.jpg

Yaqi:
yaqihead1.jpg

Conceivably, after you have "mapped" you face and know which areas might do better with an open comb, and which with a straight bar or closed comb, you could merely flip the razor to apply whichever worked better. In this sense it's something like a dial adjustable, where you can substantially change head characteristics on-the-fly, without dis-assembling/re-assembling.

Shaving, I've been noting how I actually do shave with a DE, and it seems like, in order to minimize rinsing the head as it begins to clog with hair and foam, I find that I alternate edges on each long stroke. Using a "hybrid" head I would no longer be able to do this.

What are your opinions of the usefulness of this type of head, and while I've listed two, if you know of any other manufacturers who make them, please let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

• librido1.jpg
    librido1.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 3

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've only got the Emir, it's not used much but both sides are a pleasant shave. It's over 80 years old so they've definitely been around before these modern times.

Jake's pics are much better than mine (as well as the condition of the razors) so here's a link to a 2021 thread.

I kind of like them, too, but I generally just use them like a regular razor.

In other words, I disagree with the OP's statement that he would have to rinse more often. It's not true! You can use them however you want.

A lot of people probably use the open comb side for the first pass and the safety bar side for the second, but there is no law.

I also know that a lot of guys on this forum don't like dual comb razors at all. I was surprised to find the first few posts had positive comments.

Let me clarify this. I am the OP:

"Shaving, I've been noting how I actually do shave with a DE, and it seems like, in order to minimize rinsing the head as it begins to clog with hair and foam, I find that I alternate edges on each long stroke. Using a "hybrid" head I would no longer be able to do this."

Picture this...

With a "normal" shaving head, I tend to take one pass on my left check, maybe. It gets a lot of foam on it, fine. I let it alone.

I the flip the head to the other edge--no foam--and take a pass somewhere else--many my right cheek.

Note that both cheeks have been shaved by the same type of head--in my case straight bar.

Now I can either wash the head to clear it of foam/hair, or not. Both sides have foam/hair.

Let's flip this to shaving my way is I had a hybrid.

And let's start with the assumption that each edge shaves differently, or else why bother to have two *different* shaving surfaces? I mean, if they shaved the same, who needs a hybrid, right?

So now I take my first pass on my left cheek with the OC, e.g. It gets foam/hair.

Now I want to shave the other cheek, and I'd like to do it with a clean shave surfa

The only "hybrid" I still have (and will probably sell) is the vintage Archdale. It is OC on both sides, but uses a unique wave baseplate to provide a "Once Over" side and a "Close Shave" side.

To the original question, I have not found modern hybrids of any particular benefit to me, generally, the CC side is not as efficient, or I can perceive so little difference that it is not notable. Having said that, I willingly say that it may be as much my unsophisticated shaving style as anything.

I use comps and flat triggers on carry pistols, and many folks don't see any reason to do so. I've spent a great deal of time, measurement and thought, critiquing my firearms use. My additions bring (to me) small, but measurable efficiencies that others may not perceive, or they may simply address things in a different way.

I would suspect that hybrids are similar in concept.

Let me clarify this. I am the OP:

"Shaving, I've been noting how I actually do shave with a DE, and it seems like, in order to minimize rinsing the head as it begins to clog with hair and foam, I find that I alternate edges on each long stroke. Using a "hybrid" head I would no longer be able to do this."

Picture this...

With a "normal" shaving head, I tend to take one pass on my left check, maybe. It gets a lot of foam on it, fine. I let it alone.

I the flip the head to the other edge--no foam--and take a pass somewhere else--many my right cheek.

Note that both cheeks have been shaved by the same type of head--in my case straight bar.

Now I can either wash the head to clear it of foam/hair, or not. Both sides have foam/hair.

Let's flip this to shaving my way is I had a hybrid.

And let's start with the assumption that each edge shaves differently, or else why bother to have two *different* shaving surfaces? I mean, if they shaved the same, who needs a hybrid, right?

So now I take my first pass on my left cheek with the OC, e.g. It gets foam/hair.

Now I want to shave the other cheek, and I'd like to do it with a clean shave surfa
First of all the heads you are talking about are "Dual Comb" heads and I used a Timeless Ti95 DC OC/SB for a little over 3yrs and the way I used it was 1st pass w/ OC, 2nd pass and clean up w/ SB for every shave I did. At first the extra rinsing I had to do was kind of inconvenient but I soon realized it was no big deal and shaved that way until I sold the razor... I call it not being lazy!! Just rinse it and move on...

I'm still trying to come up to speed on accepted terminology, and for want of definitive knowledge, I am referring to DE razor designs that are like the Fatip l'ibrido: one side with an open comb, and the other closed or straight.

I am sure you've had much more experience with these than I, but I'l include some images for your convenience:

l'ibrido:

View attachment 1685852
Yaqi:
View attachment 1685853

Conceivably, after you have "mapped" you face and know which areas might do better with an open comb, and which with a straight bar or closed comb, you could merely flip the razor to apply whichever worked better. In this sense it's something like a dial adjustable, where you can substantially change head characteristics on-the-fly, without dis-assembling/re-assembling.

Shaving, I've been noting how I actually do shave with a DE, and it seems like, in order to minimize rinsing the head as it begins to clog with hair and foam, I find that I alternate edges on each long stroke. Using a "hybrid" head I would no longer be able to do this.

What are your opinions of the usefulness of this type of head, and while I've listed two, if you know of any other manufacturers who make them, please let me know.

Thanks!
I’ll take a run at your question: I think the easiest way to conceptualize a dual comb is like 2 single edge razors. So it may or may not work with your “side A” stroke, “side B” stroke unless you feel great about both sides or both sides give predictable performance. Back to the single edge comment… I think it would be more like using “side A” for the whole right side of your face, rinsing when you need to, side A again for the left side of your face, rinsing when you need to. Okay now you’re going in for your second pass and you think “huh side B has different characteristics that are helpful for XTG or ATG, I think I’ll use that side for this pass”. And then repeat left and right sides of your face only with side B. I believe that this was the original conception of the design. In my humble opinion, I think it’s best for folks that have starkly different razor needs for different parts of their face. Like someone who has sensitive skin yet grows dense, course hair. Maybe “side A” is perfect for taking it down to stubble and “side B” is for taking it to a smooth finish. I hope that all makes sense!

First of all the heads you are talking about are "Dual Comb" heads and I used a Timeless Ti95 DC OC/SB for a little over 3yrs and the way I used it was 1st pass w/ OC, 2nd pass and clean up w/ SB for every shave I did. At first the extra rinsing I had to do was kind of inconvenient but I soon realized it was no big deal and shaved that way until I sold the razor... I call it not being lazy!! Just rinse it and move

I’ll take a run at your question: I think the easiest way to conceptualize a dual comb is like 2 single edge razors. So it may or may not work with your “side A” stroke, “side B” stroke unless you feel great about both sides or both sides give predictable performance. Back to the single edge comment… I think it would be more like using “side A” for the whole right side of your face, rinsing when you need to, side A again for the left side of your face, rinsing when you need to. Okay now you’re going in for your second pass and you think “huh side B has different characteristics that are helpful for XTG or ATG, I think I’ll use that side for this pass”. And then repeat left and right sides of your face only with side B. I believe that this was the original conception of the design. In my humble opinion, I think it’s best for folks that have starkly different razor needs for different parts of their face. Like someone who has sensitive skin yet grows dense, course hair. Maybe “side A” is perfect for taking it down to stubble and “side B” is for taking it to a smooth finish. I hope that all makes sense!
Thanks for the excellent, well thought out reply, complete with an illustrative example!

Early in my razor buying days I bought a couple of dual comb razors. My thinking was exactly what @SharpieB explained - use the open comb side for the first pass and then the solid bar side for more gentle second and third passes. I’m sure there’s merit in that but what I found was I just liked one side better than the other, for the whole shave. So I ended up with a DE razor that I used only one side of, which was a waste and required me to rinse the razor twice as often, as @Shoegazer notes. I’m glad to know that others find dual combs beneficial.

I guess it’s a bit like with adjustable razors (and isn’t a dual comb really just another kind of adjustable?). Some shavers like to adjust the razor setting between passes but others just find one setting they like best and stick with it forever. In this case (unlike with dual combs) I’m one of those who adjusts during the shave and derives additional utility from it.

Early in my razor buying days I bought a couple of dual comb razors. My thinking was exactly what @SharpieB explained - use the open comb side for the first pass and then the solid bar side for more gentle second and third passes. I’m sure there’s merit in that but what I found was I just liked one side better than the other, for the whole shave. So I ended up with a DE razor that I used only one side of, which was a waste and required me to rinse the razor twice as often, as @Shoegazer notes. I’m glad to know that others find dual combs beneficial.

I guess it’s a bit like with adjustable razors - some shavers like to adjust the razor between passes but others just find one setting they like best and stick with it forever. In this case (unlike with dual combs) I’m one of those who adjusts during the shave and derives additional utility from it.
Thanks!

I used the Ikon 2pb oc/sb combo for over 10 years as my daily driver. First pass OC then sb the rest of the way. Great razor and design. I normally shave in the shower and never thought about the additional rinsing requirements.
IMG_1480.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a few combination heads like that, but they don't get much use. The Fendrihan was one of my first stainless razors, and then the Ikon SBS, which I thought stood for "side-by-side." That would be a good name for this type of razor head.

I have this one, from Ali Express, I had it for a long time and haven't used it in a long time. I had it when I started DE shaving so my technique was terrible, OC side was too rough, CC side was to mild. I should go back to it, just to see what is situation now.
IMG_20230805_081236.jpg

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I think the DC baseplate is a great razor for travel/islands/tough situations.

You can change efficiency in an instant and get an adjustable razor-like effect quickly. To cope with different growth or multi-day hair, and has the advantage of three-piece simple and easy to clean.

I use Lupo DC and think the design is very intuitive to operate.
Moreover, because Lupo DC deliberately places OC on the side with a smaller gap, the shaving comfort on both sides is similar and both are very smooth.

They have limited appeal to me.

I am in the camp that believes that as long as blade exposure and gap of an open and closed head are the same the closeness of the shave is pretty much the same as well. The principal difference lies in the way the lather is routed by the razor head.

When I rinse the lather off the head between passes, I like to twirl the razor head under water before I continue the shave. With a hybrid design, I then would have to look which side I intended to shave with.
As I do not take blades out of a razor between shaves, it would also concentrate all shaves on the edge of the side that I have taken a (probably small) preference to.

So I see quite a few inconveniences for the sake of no measurable advantages.
If someone wants to find out whether one’s preference is open or closed comb, this may be one way to find out, but I would rather buy a Mühle R 89 together with a R 41 head (or the other way around :001_cool:). Once I figured out which type I like better, I could retire the other head in my bedside table drawer and be done with it.

To me, hybrid razors are a curiosity, but beyond that I am not surprised that they never caught on.
Call it a solution in search of a problem… :laugh:

That is my opinion in my bathroom, but if someone should think hybrids are the bee’s knees, who am I to tell you how to spend your money?

B.

Last edited:
Well, I had a Yates brass hybrid razor and it was never anything that really stood out...either side. I liked the looks but the performance was strictly middle of the road. Sold it.

Top Bottom