What's new

To be or not to be re-knotted

Well Gentlemen my brush is having a dilemma here.

This beautiful vintage Victoria brush holds a pure badger knot that has seen better days but on the other hand, it's not quite over the hill yet.
The knot seems a bit floppy being a pure badger, but it is the original knot, and it does still lather quite well.
In the picture below, you can see several broken hairs, only reaching up to approximate the second band. My guess is, that it is the broken hairs that makes it more floppy than anticipated by pure badger.

However, I'm not a fan of pure badger, and I have been thinking of re-knotting it with a dense Silvertip knot, thus removing the originality.

Would it be a sin to do that?
Or would it be bring a second youth to it?

proxy.php

That's like asking if you should change the blade in your razor because it's "original".
Brush hairs are disposable commodities, switch it out at will.

That's like asking if you should change the blade in your razor because it's "original".
Brush hairs are disposable commodities, switch it out at will.

I can follow you a bit, but I wouldn't say the hair is disposable in the same manner as a blade, I would more compare it to a replating of a razor.
And I do have a small thing for keeping things original (to a certain point).
That said I have restored several brushes where the knot was unusable.

However I can see by the above that keeping it original doesn't matter.

And just for the fun of it, I've made a Photoshop photo with a 24mm Silvertip knot I have around - it does look rather nice even for a Photoshop creation :001_smile

I suggest re-knotting.
Does do more justice to the brush.

On a side note; maybe it is best to make sure that the dimensions of the brush stay close to that beautiful original. And so for the color, make sure that hey match. Does TGN still sells that Finest? That one seems to match.

I think that way your appetite for the originality - I understand that completely - doesn't get compromised.

I suggest re-knotting.
Does do more justice to the brush.

On a side note; maybe it is best to make sure that the dimensions of the brush stay close to that beautiful original. And so for the color, make sure that hey match. Does TGN still sells that Finest? That one seems to match.

I think that way your appetite for the originality - I understand that completely - doesn't get compromised.

I will keep the dimensions close to the original as the loft on that is 48mm and that is in the region of my preference; 48-52mm.
The original is however more flat than bulb sized, but I think that may be down to wear and tear.
I'll have a look at TGN to see what they have, otherwise I'll see if this 24mm will fit. It is lighter but again I think it is down to the years that have darkened the original, and of course it is pure badger and they are generally more dark than Silvertip (at least the ones I've got).

I can follow you a bit, but I wouldn't say the hair is disposable in the same manner as a blade, I would more compare it to a replating of a razor.

OK, I'll grant you that 3 shaves on a blade versus 30 years on a knot is a big difference :tongue_sm , but taking a big picture view it comes to the same thing - replating is cosmetic, while reknotting will make an unusable brush usable again.

Yeah I am going with the blade analogy too.

Badger is just a bit longer lasting than steel....but still an expendable. That handle deserves a top end knot. The original has given its best to whoever used it last...you honor it with a new knot. Restore it and give it another decade or so of service.

Great little handle.

You are thinking about the knot and so obviously not happy with it since you're posting about it.

Restore I say and use. All you are doing is bringing it back to it's previous glory and purpose.

Great little handle.

You are thinking about the knot and so obviously not happy with it since you're posting about it.

Restore I say and use. All you are doing is bringing it back to it's previous glory and purpose.

Yes, in fact I have been thinking about it, since I got it, but I also like the originality of the vintage stuff, I don't mind you can see it has been in use.
I would just like a "second" opinion as to whether it would be a shame to give it a new knot.

Posting the thread in the restoration sub-forum might have been an error, since the majority in here of course like to restore :lol:

But I am definitely not as hesitant to restore it, as I was when I started the thread.

I appreciate your sentiments Gentlemen.

I'm leaning towards a restoration - maybe :biggrin1:

Does it work right? Is it comfortable on the face?

It looks ok. If it works right and is acceptably comfortable, I would leave it as is. If it fails on comfort or function then have at it!

Phil

Yes, in fact I have been thinking about it, since I got it, but I also like the originality of the vintage stuff, I don't mind you can see it has been in use.
I would just like a "second" opinion as to whether it would be a shame to give it a new knot.

Posting the thread in the restoration sub-forum might have been an error, since the majority in here of course like to restore :lol:

But I am definitely not as hesitant to restore it, as I was when I started the thread.

I appreciate your sentiments Gentlemen.

I'm leaning towards a restoration - maybe :biggrin1:

Chop it...it will be so much better. Vintage hair may be vintage but it will lather better if restored. No question about it...chop it out, get some decent badger in there.

Top Bottom