What's new

Bad grammar/spelling while bashing a product or another member.

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone get annoyed when he/she sees someone bashing a product or another member on the forums while typing with bad grammar? I can understand if someone misspells a complicated word or product name, but I can't tell you the number of times I've gritted my teeth while reading someone type "it's lather is terrible" when bashing Williams for the fifth time in a single thread or "many soap's are much better" when bashing Williams for the sixth time in a single thread.

I've seen this happen in other threads as well, and it's not just when bashing a product. I've seen members put other members down and try to act superior yet they don't type grammatically correct sentences.

Maybe I'm the only one who gets annoyed by this. If that's the case, I'll shut up. However, I feel that putting another member down or excessively bashing a product or company is unfounded, and when poor grammar is thrown in the mix it just reflects even more poorly on one's credibility and character.

It could be that I'm just nitpicking and being pretentious about this, but I can't bring myself to give much respect to people who act as though they're superior but are incapable of typing like normal people.

Last edited:
Actually, putten anuther member down ain't alloweded hear at B&B at all. :wink:

(But yes, I feel your pain on the grammar issue at times -- especially just after finishing this term's stack of term paper grading. :biggrin: Still, we welcome all honest feedback here -- I'd hate for a member to avoid posting for fear of demonstrating grammatical incompetence.)

Actually, putten anuther member down ain't alloweded hear at B&B at all. :wink:

(But yes, I feel your pain on the grammar issue at times -- especially just after finishing this term's stack of term paper grading. :biggrin: Still, we welcome all honest feedback here -- I'd hate for a member to avoid posting for fear of demonstrating grammatical incompetence.)

I wasn't trying to suggest that people don't post! I'm just suggesting that people should think twice before being mean to someone or making an ignorant comment about a product or member. I find some of the repeated bashing somewhat amusing as long as it's in good nature- that's why I used the Williams example. :laugh:

I think your rant is suffering from a severe lack of commas.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Could you tell me where I messed up?

Poor grammar does bother me, but I don't get too worked up about it. I often don't bother trying to be grammatically correct as long as the point gets across, so I actively ignore rules about prepositions and such. Being too correct can make one sound pompous. The only mistakes that really bothers me misspelling "you're" and "your," as well as "there," they're," and "their." A lot of times I've misspelled words, though, simply because of poor typing, or just because I was thinking faster than I was typing, so I don't even really get upset over these.

If you really want to feel better about it, you can see the poor spelling some people have to live with HERE. :biggrin1:

This is probably the strangest post I have seen on B&B.

How do you connect an oppinion regarding a product or a person with the abillity to write
and handle grammar ?

In principle I agree that bashing anyone or anything for no reason is bad.

That being said, not everyone on this forum has english as their first language - me being
one and I will now take the time to apologize for bad spelling and abusing your language
with bad grammer, it is not intended and certainly not done in spite or to offend anyone.

Last edited:
proxy.php

People are entitled to have their own thoughts, no matter how they put it across. If they put it across in a language that you don't find offensive and can easily understand then to criticise them is pretty poor in my view. I expect not everybody is educated to the same standard on this forum, just because somebody doesn't articulate their opinions as well as another doesn't make those opinions any less valid.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the internet, you have to expect that people are typing quickly, many of them on very small keyboards. I'm on a netbook right now, and at least every 2nd word gets messed up by my big fingers jabbing at extra small keys. The fact that I catch as many errors as I do is pretty impressive.

It's the internet, you have to expect that people are typing quickly, many of them on very small keyboards. I'm on a netbook right now, and at least every 2nd word gets messed up by my big fingers jabbing at extra small keys. The fact that I catch as many errors as I do is pretty impressive.

Alot of times i use my iphone and don't realize my mistakes until i read it after posting it. Then again, i was never into all that fancy book lernin.

Beginning December 21, 2012, B&B members will be limited to one (1) post per calendar month in the using all correct grammar in any post, thread or review. Members can have up to five (5) spelling errors or up to five (5) multiple infractions of predicates, intransitives, personal pronouns, and any misuse of the english language. This includes all spoken forms of english including, but not limited to: Basic English, British English, Olde English, and Simplified Technical English.

Additional rules will also apply:

Posts in iambic pentameter such as "My Williams gives a lovely shave" will be immediately stricken.

Posts in Haiku are also not welcomed:

Autumn night shave—
a razor glides smoothly
smell the Windsor.

And Limerick posts are not to be encouraged:

What product shall I use today.
To look good in a particular way.
Saw that could.
Use Proraso I would
I think I shall make it my mainstay.

However malapropisms are greatly encouraged:

I used short strops with my DE, which helped me get a closer shave.

After each 24 hour period, a member may correct his or her post to correct errors ONLY if the errors are egregious, wanton, and if the post is in any a canard.

The B&B administrators feel the new guidelines and restrictions will help alleviate and help "level the playing field" between B&B users. Especially those users that are fanatical fans of NASCAR. Those whose sole purpose is to use grammar to expresses oneself freely will be censured publicly.

Obviously, these new rules will be reviewed after a period of time and adjusted accordingly, if so needed. The proper spot for comments regarding the new grammar rules is in the Site Feedback Forum.

Top Bottom