What's new

Request for Gentle DE Razor Advice

Hi all,
I need advice in selecting a DE razor that shaves gently. I use a Merkur Progress at the #1 blade exposure setting. With RAD beginning to set in, I checked the B&B Wiki's DE razor database and found that the Progress set at 1 stands alone for gentle shaving. So my question is: Does anyone know of any new (rather than vintage) DE razors that are not in the database and that match the Progress at 1 for lack of aggressiveness? I don't expect blade gap measurements to back up your opinions, but I'd like to hear what you have to say about this. If it turns out there is nothing else out there for me, then my long-term RAD spending will be diverted toward brushes and creams. Either way, I win.
Thanks very much.
Simon

A Feather AS is very mild, probably milder than the Progress on 1. Great but expensive.

I know you said non vintage, but a Gillette Tech is more gentle than a Progress on 1. The Techs are readily available and a lot less expensive than a Feather AS.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My feather AS is mild for sure, but not as mild as a slim adjustable on 1. Now we need someone who has both a slim and the merkur to compare.

By the way, does anyone know if one of the Parker razors would meet my need (and is any good)? Thanks.
Simon

By the way, does anyone know if one of the Parker razors would meet my need (and is any good)? Thanks.
Simon

My first razor was the Parker 22r i bought it from otcwholesale.com; it is a good razor i still occasionally use it. As far as aggressiveness goes some say its an aggressive razor. I say its not that bad as long as you use proper techniques. After about 5 shaves i was getting really good shaves the first shave however i needed my styptic pen for it.... Its nowhere as aggressive as my goodfella. I think its a little less aggressive than a red tip. I will post pictures of the blade gap differences between all my razors if you would like.. I recommend a blue tip as being an extremely mild razor according to others for i have never used one.

These two are the best pictures I could get. In the pictures the slim adjustable is set on 3 which is a very good beginners number lower than that and its hard to cut the hair.The parker 22r has a long handle which is actually nice I think you have less of a tendency to apply pressure with the longer handle. The gap on the parker is a little larger than the slim set on 3. The gap is about the same size as the red tip BUT the red tip is not aggressive because of the blade gap its aggressive because its heavy. The Parker weighs a little bit more than the Red Tip but the weight in the Parker is in the long handle Therefore you feel the weight in the handle where as with the red tip more in the head of the razor. The Parker 22r is a good starter razor while it might not be the mildest around it is definitely not the most aggressive either. Its definitely not a bad buy and there is nothing wrong with it at all. I would say if you want it go with it. It wont make you broke and you will get to experience a different brand and a different razor and a different shave...

Thanks very much, flycbyrd. I will take your suggestions under advisement. Nice razor collection, by the way.
Simon

Thanks very much, flycbyrd. I will take your suggestions under advisement. Nice razor collection, by the way.
Simon
Your welcome. anytime.I just looked on otcwholesale and i didnt see any safety razors at all. I read on your other post were you mentioned a weishi i would go ahead and pay the money for the parker its not that big of a difference and the parker will last much longer..
I have more razors than that i will show at a later date in time. Those are just the ones i shave with.

Last edited:
FWIW, the blade gap is only one indication of aggressiveness. IMHO my 2 Ball End Techs are much milder than my 2 Progress razors on a #1 Setting.

Exactly as i stated in the above post the reason the red tip is aggressive is because of the weight not the gap alone.

I wouldn't get too hung up on aggressiveness, there are a lot of other characteristics of a razor that influence the overall shave quality a lot more. You've got to try a Tech, a superspeed, a fatboy or slim, a modern 3-piece like Merkur, maybe a slant. Until you try them, you don't know whether or not they'll work for you.

If you can find one, a 60's and early 70's Schick Krona (black handle TTO) is about the mildest shaver you can find. I still use my grandfather's old one from time to time. Surprisingly, a late 40's gold Gillette open-comb is very mild as well and you also get an indicator that you are shaving properly -- if there are comb tracks in your soap, you need to adjust your angle. Unfortunately a late 40's Gillette in gold is hard to find, mine was PIFed to me. I would assume the 50's version would shave very similarly as the head looks the same except for a date stamp on the under side (the 40's version lacks a date stamp).

NewbieRedux,

The Feather Popular TTO DE razor is mild, and a very nice shaver.

It is very inexpensive (being partially made of plastic), so won't be risking much money in giving it a try.

It works best with Feather blades.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Top Bottom