What's new

How long does it take you to shave? (stopwatch)

Gents, there have been some criticism of late that i spend to much time hogging the bathroom and that all this traditional wet shaving nonsense has to stop.

So, i decided to set the stopwatch this morning and see just exactly how much time my regular shave takes. From taking my straight out of the box, stropping, shaving, cleaning, stropping again and putting my straight back in its box-

Total Time: 13 minutes 39 seconds.

So, was curious if you shave with either a DE or Straight how long does it take you to shave from start to finish. This is not a race chaps, blades are sharp!!! :001_smile

My morning shave time is my special time so I linger during my shave and really drag it out. I could easily shave more quickly if there were a reason that I needed to, but I get up early enough so that there is never a reason to hasten. When using straights, it takes me almost 20 minutes to shave, with my DE and SE, it takes about 10 minutes. However, after the actual shave there are the aftershave lotions, balms, and colognes to select and apply, so that takes even more time. Generally, I allow 30 minutes for my morning shaving ritual, regardless of the razor I'm using.

15 minutes, 30 if you include the shower. I'm sure I could go quicker but I'm still reasonably new to this wet shaving business so I'm taking it ultra slow (took a month to try atg). Plus im enjoying the relaxing part of shaving and as a student - why rush?

I get up quite earlier than anyone else in the morning so that there is no need to rush.

No stopwatch here! Just as long as it takes.

about 20 minutes on average but sometimes longer if i am really relaxed. It's not something i consider doing if i am in a rush though.

15 to 20 minutes during the week, start to finish from the time I exit the shower. 20 to 30 minutes on the weekend, when I am not pressed for time.

- Steve :001_cool:

This morning, the time from starting to lather after getting out of the shower to putting the last of my shaving equipment away was 12 minutes 37 seconds. That might be cheating a little, since the shower is my only prep, and the brush was soaking while I showered, but it gives an indication of the actual shave time.

Used a Schick type A with two full passes and a lot of touch up. Did not hurry at all, and got a DFS.

Last edited:
My girlfriend nags me that I take too long to shave!
I never rush, but I can get a decent shave done in about 10 minutes. Using a soap stick and a 2 pass shave. I've never timed myself to see how slow I go but I would imagine anywhere from 30-45 minutes when I take my time.

I can shave in 10~15 minutes on average, but only if I've thought out my rotation choices in advance. If I have to go back to the bedroom to pick out different products, or load a new blade in my razor, that of course adds extra time.

I give myself 30 minutes or so when I'm checking out a new product, or when its my day off and I want to indulge in a super-luxurious shave.

But I never, ever rush myself. If I don't have enough time to shave properly, then I skip it. I don't need perfect grooming for my job, so many days I just wash my face, and I'm out the door.

One of the best ways you can save time during the ritual is by skipping the brush. Every soap and cream can be lathered up just fine by using the fingers and palms of your hand. Neither your whiskers nor your razor will know the difference, and you save about 5 minutes of prep and clean-up time.

Whatever you do, don't skip any pre-shave prep steps. Its the preparation that will determine how good a shave you get, and no amount of technique or high-end razor/blade can overcome bad preparation.

It is the journey and not the destination.....I usually time the lather making to about a minute or so and the rest is about me.....but then I am self-employed.

If I am using a DE or injector, 9-10 minutes for a two pass shave, depending on if I am using a cream and face lathering, or a hard soap and building lather in the bowl. Using a straight can take me as much as 5 minutes longer, with stropping, and a more cautious pace on my throat and upper lip factored in.

Shave, shower, brush teeth.
I do it when I can relax so def not in the morning ---> well I do brush my teeth in the morning, before anyone says anything!

About 40 mins. Can do it in 25 if I rush but will always nick myself or miss a spot of stubble if I rush. I get a BBS that lasts about 24 hours then like to go with the stubble look for a day or two. So 40 mins every three to four days for me.

- Aaron

About 30-35 minutes. I keep my gear in or on my bedroom dresser so I have to move it back & forth to the bathroom. I also shave at night so I can take my time and enjoy it. With some cooler nights this week, that warm scuttle and brush sure felt good.

I don't rush. The last time I rushed, I got at least 4 weepers. I agree with dpm820 - if I don't have enough time to groom, I won't do it. I'm in college anyway so it's no biggie.

If you do rush though, make sure you have styptic on hand :laugh:

10-15 mins during the week (2 pass DFS). 20+ mins on the weekend depending on the mood (3+ pass ending hopefully at BBS).

Unfortunately, I cannot take the time and effort to enjoy my shave as I have other things to do (like process two feet of wet hair). Normally, it takes about 8 minutes for me to complete a two-pass shave, which includes preparation and cleanup. At least the shaves are always nice in terms of results.

Lately, it is taking me about 20 minutes to shave. My prep is about five minutes and the rest is shaving. I am not including cleaning up in this time.

Top Bottom