What's new

Calling all head shaving baldies,

Ok so im new to the forum and recently posted the thread below (URL shown):
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=166955

It was asking of which DE I should get for my 30th from my wife as Im new to the world of SE and DE razors. The advice I got was fantastic and has given me lots of options to consider. A couple of the replies noted that I should continue with my Gillette Sensor Excel for my head shaving until I get used to the DE I will get for my birthday (most likely an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth in Light Horn).

I think its the best option but would like to hear from other head shavers to find out, do they now use a DE after experience or have they stuck to a cartridge razor for their heads as they are very forgiving and just used the DE for face/neck. Thanks

Last edited:
Ok so im new to the forum and recently posted the thread velow (URL shown):
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=166955

It was asking of which DE I should get for my 30th from my wife as Im new to the world of SE and DE razors. The advice I got was fantastic and has given me lots of options to consider. A couple of the replies noted that I should continue with my Gillette Sensor Excel for my head shaving until I get used to the DE I will get for my birthday (most likely an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth in Light Horn).

I think its the best option but would like to hear from other head shavers to find out, do they now use a DE after experience or have they stuck to a cartridge razor for their heads as they are very forgiving and just used the DE for face/neck. Thanks

If I am in a hurry, I will use my Trac II. If I have the time, I use a DE or injector (which ever one I am using to face shave). DE / Injectors get much closer and the Trac II is a great time saver. Both are needed.

Good fortune with your selection.

So it's definitely a case of waiting until my baby daughter is in bed then, otherwise her tugging at my leg to go and read books or draw while mid shave will no doubt end in either a half finished head with a DE or a very sore half skinned scalp head! :)

I use the merkur progress with Feather and Astra blades and I can shave my head faster with a good lather than I can with a Schick Fusion with bbs quality. I have not been shaving with the Progress more than 2 weeks either. I shave my head on 1 and my face on 3.

I've done it with my merkur HD, if you know how to use a DE to shave your face, the head is just as easy. I actually don't like using a cartridge on my head because I find they clog too easy. Most of the time I just buzz the head.

I use Provoso in the white tub and build a very thick lather and the blade just glides like it is on grease. No razor burn and 6 hours til I can feel anything but smooth and I have a head of normal to coarse hair. Thats why I started with th DE's it was too expensive to keep fusions in house when I needed a new one every day.

EJ89L and a Derby (orange) or a red Personna. I find I get a closer shave on my head with the Derby, completely smooth for about 4 hours longer than when I use a Personna.

I haven't tried derby yet. I have a batch of feathers and astra to go through. I will order a sample just before I need a reorder and see how they do. I've heard more good of them than the Merkur blade.

The Merkur by the way absolutely tore my @#$% up! I wouldn't use them if they were free. I tried 4 or 5 too so it wasn't a defect blade.

Personna Magnum M5 most of the time, with a Trac II, Mach 3 or the new Wilkinson Tech 3 thrown in a couple days a week. I use Headslick or The Real Shave Company cream and shave the noggin in the shower, usually takes me about three minutes. Much, much faster for me and I've used SE, DE and injectors on the head.

I like to take my time and use the good equipment on my face in order to make it enjoyable, but headshaving is just a chore to knock out every morning.

I use an Atra on my head. I used a DE for a while, but found I just didn't enjoy the process. Something about the nearly infinite number of angles on the noggin made getting a close DE shave with no missed spots take a really long time. So now I pamper myself with a very nice DE shave each morning, and top it off with a quick, easy head shave with the Atra.

I have tried an injector and a HD on my head. They work, but only if you have the time to go slooooooooow(which I don't!), so I am back to using the Schick Extreme 3. Fortunately, I can get 7-10 headshaves from 1 cart which is nice- and the wife uses them also for her legs. I get the big pack from Sam's club and it lasts us 4-5 months.

DE only for my face and neck.

marty

Either a DE or SE, whichever I am using at the time, with whatever soap I am using. Why use more than one razor or soap? Really?? I find the head much easier to shave, and faster than the face/neck as well. Been doing it for years....doesn't need to be complicated....or maybe its just me.

Tracy

Either a DE or SE, whichever I am using at the time, with whatever soap I am using. Why use more than one razor or soap? Really?? I find the head much easier to shave, and faster than the face/neck as well. Been doing it for years....doesn't need to be complicated....or maybe its just me.

Tracy

Do any of you apply a shaving oil on prior to a cream. I have read in some of the tutorials that it can help glide. I don't usually shave the head more than once every three days but do find they can be a little bit of drag and thought maybe the oil would protect the head and help with the gliding.

I think if I shaved my head in the shower I wouldn't enjoy it so much, funnily enough I enjoy shaving my head at the mirror and probably more so than doing face/beard, that being said I only have to shave upper cheeks/lower neck as I have a beard. Clean head and clean face would not suit me!!!

What brush are you guys using on your head, I need to get a badger brush, at the moment I'm just using a body shop synthetic one, can't be that great I'm sure, does the job however and is still a joy to use compared to years ago when I used the horrible cans of stuff!

I have the King of Shaves oil that is available at retailers everywhere and I use it sometimes it works good but I usually just build an extra thick lather with Proraso in the tub(the white one) and I feel quite protected as long as I am somewhat careful. It is harder for me to nick myself with the oil I must say.

I used to use the Sensor Excel cartridge in a womans flat cartridge holder (which I can't remember the name of). now I use a regular Headblade and my preferred cream for head shaving is Musgo Real.

Top Bottom