What's new

back to SE/DE - need some guidance

morning everyone - ive been a B&B member for quite awhile now but havent been on in a long time. I used to nerd out over DE and blades and soaps and creams and.....but then I got a job that has me up at 4am, and out of convenience it was back to the sensor excel carts.

Since those have been discontinued for awhile, i rely on searching the web and getting the occasional poor qc versions and im getting pretty fed up.

It seems that there are alot of new companies putting out high quality items that didnt exist 10-20yrs ago (Blackland, Razoroc, Leaf, etc), so im thinking it might be worth my effort to go back to something better. The last time I used DE, one of the common options was a 34C, which I used for awhile with a personna red, astra, or feather blade. It was ok, but I could never get it to navigate my face as well as the smaller carts.

What would be your opinion as far as where to get back into a new razor? The Blackland looks really nice, and I dont mind the price, Razoroc has so many choices i dont know where to start, and Leaf looks ok, but I am sure there are more out there. FWIW, i have a pretty thick beard that I try to mow down every other day (2 passes), definitely a 3pm shadow.

Thanks @spacemonkey42 good point - i guess what im after at this point the priority is comfort/closeness so i can ditch the sensor excel. Once i have a daily driver im sure ill venture off into the weeds for when i have a little more time on the weekends.

Thanks @spacemonkey42 good point - i guess what im after at this point the priority is comfort/closeness so i can ditch the sensor excel. Once i have a daily driver im sure ill venture off into the weeds for when i have a little more time on the weekends.
Welcome! I used Sensor Excel carts for most of 30 year, was glad to leave those behind about 2 years ago.

For closeness and comfort, along with efficiency so you don't have to set your alarm much earlier than you already do, I'd recommend a Karve Overlander or a Henson medium or aggressive - aggressive will have more of a learning curve, but it might be more what you're after than the medium. Folks who like those also like RazoRock Game Changer, so that's probably another good choice, though I haven't tried it yet myself. Good luck!

Here are my suggestions and why.

Henson AL13 - Most forgiving razor and very smooth. No blade chatter due to tight blade clamping. It's really difficult to nick yourself with this razor and it's probably the best razor transitioning from cartridge. You will also have a great lifetime razor since it's perfect for touching up when needed. I can do touchups with no shaving cream or soap.

Karve Overlander - Also a fantastic razor and very forgiving like the Henson. Deceptively efficient, no blade chatter due to tight blade clamping.

Razorock Gamechanger - Razorock has some of the best and most affordable stainless steel safety razors. You will get a PREMIUM razor for the price of some Zamacs (55$). All of these Gamechanger razors are smooth but you will have to pick the plate from the .68, .76, and .84. Efficiency increases as the blade gap increases, but you also have slightly higher chance of nicks/cuts/razor burn. Though all of these are forgiving.

Rockwell 6c - You get a 3 piece razor with 3 plates and 6 levels of aggression for 60$. You are essentially getting 6 very smooth shaving razors. Unlike the razors above, you are getting a zamac cast razor, not a premium razor. IT IS a premium shave, but it is not a quality metal precisely made with a CNC machine.

Budget Razor:
On amazon the Julius Ceasar safety razor is 10$ and you get an assortment of 20 premium blades. Decent shave with great blades, for a super low price if you just want to try.

Since you want comfort/closeness... Like the fellow shaving aficionados above, I'd then say the Karve Overlander, Henson medium (or aggressive), or a Razorock Gamechanger 76p or 84p (if you like less bladefeel) or Lupo (if you like more bladefeel). All of these are in the sub-$100, so more affordable than some.

(Because you said closeness, I didn't say the Henson mild or the GameChanger 68p)

Welcome back!

Some good suggestions above!

If you want a current production, reasonably priced razor, then you might consider a 34C HD, one of the EJ 89 series, or the Lord L6. Any of those should help get you back in the game!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If you're making your way back in from a lengthy hiatus, I would start with a RazoRock razor...either the Game Changer or the Lupo. Both are very good razors at an amazing price point.

You mentioned the small cart size. One razor you might like in terms of having a low-profile head is the Lupo. Razorock offers several baseplate options in terms of gap. If the 34C worked for you, the Lupo 58 or 72 might as well.

+1 for the Game Changer. Also consider the Leaf Twig as the transition from the sensor is easy.

I use both of these razors much more frequently than my Tech.

Here are my suggestions and why.

Henson AL13 - Most forgiving razor and very smooth. No blade chatter due to tight blade clamping. It's really difficult to nick yourself with this razor and it's probably the best razor transitioning from cartridge. You will also have a great lifetime razor since it's perfect for touching up when needed. I can do touchups with no shaving cream or soap.

Karve Overlander - Also a fantastic razor and very forgiving like the Henson. Deceptively efficient, no blade chatter due to tight blade clamping.

Razorock Gamechanger - Razorock has some of the best and most affordable stainless steel safety razors. You will get a PREMIUM razor for the price of some Zamacs (55$). All of these Gamechanger razors are smooth but you will have to pick the plate from the .68, .76, and .84. Efficiency increases as the blade gap increases, but you also have slightly higher chance of nicks/cuts/razor burn. Though all of these are forgiving.

Rockwell 6c - You get a 3 piece razor with 3 plates and 6 levels of aggression for 60$. You are essentially getting 6 very smooth shaving razors. Unlike the razors above, you are getting a zamac cast razor, not a premium razor. IT IS a premium shave, but it is not a quality metal precisely made with a CNC machine.

Budget Razor:
On amazon the Julius Ceasar safety razor is 10$ and you get an assortment of 20 premium blades. Decent shave with great blades, for a super low price if you just want to try.
I'd throw in the Rockwell 6S in place of the 6C if you want a stainless-steel razor. Very nice razor. So smooth with hardly any blade feel.

For those days I want to mow down 3 days of thick stubble, I love my Merkur 37C slant. It is an absolute monster for heavy duty cutting, but not for everyday use. For everything else (less growth), I use a Timeless .95

I'm in a similar boat, I returned to wet shaving after a long hiatus not too long ago. I picked up a Henson Mild, which has since been given to my son who is a newbie to wet shaving/safety razors. The Henson is just about foolproof for a return shaver or new shaver. They have very tight tolerances and small blade exposure. For thick growth, I don't know how it will work. I have a Leaf Twig as well, slightly more aggressive than the Henson Mild. I have seen videos online of the Twig taking off fairly heavy growth. I also have a Rockwell 6c with the 3 plates and 6 shaving levels. That one can certainly handle any length of growth one would attempt to cut with a safety razor. If you want something made on this side of the pond, Hensons are made in Canada as are the Game Changers (which I have no experience with, for now, might get one) My understanding is the Rockwell 6s (Stainless version of the 6C) is made in the US. I also have a Rex Envoy razor, made in the US, and Stainless Steel as well. There's Yates made in the US also. My Rex is about like a number 3 plate on the Rockwell, but a much better-made razor. My 6c is a tad rough when screwing in the handle, as though the threads weren't machined tight enough, where the Rex screws in like butter, as does the Henson. Pricing is about $150 for the Rex and Yates, the Rockwell 6S is $120. I'm not sure which razor I will use most now. The Rex is the new one and I used it today and will likely use it for the next few days. The Henson is in my son's bathroom now, awaiting his next shave. Now that you are back you'll need to check out all the various soaps out there and brushes. Check out Phoenix Artisan Accouterments for soaps, brushes, blades, and aftershave. Razoremporium and West Coast Shaving have a good selection also. Shave Nation has a good selection and fast shipment. Welcome back and enjoy the ride.

Top Bottom