What's new

The USA Impulse 100A - Open Source Shaving Kit Recommendation

[Last time I posted something like this it got deleted. To clarify, I'm not selling these. I'm just suggesting the concept of a named starter kit the B&B community can refine over time and anyone can source locally themselves and get going today. Request for comment and input is much appreciated. Here's Rev A for review.]

OPEN SOURCE SHAVING KIT RECOMMENDATION

The USA Impulse 100A

Objective: An inexpensive kit anyone can source locally (in the USA) from popular stores the day you decide you want to get started wetshaving. All items are locally obtained and will help you begin well while you're doing research and then waiting for your Internet orders to arrive.
  1. Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap (not Select or Glycerin), Wal-Mart $2
  2. Target Shea Brush , Target $9, or VDH Boar Brush or Kit (which includes VDH Deluxe) from a local pharmacy
  3. Bic Sensitive Disposable (the orange ones); single bladed disposable <$4 for a pack
Rationale: VDH Deluxe is excellent inexpensive soap. The Target Shea Brush will get a good lather going easily. The Bic Sensitive has a single blade, no swivel, and is favorably reviewed by B&B members. It is an excellent transition from multi-blade cartridges. Good kit to practice lathering with and not worry too much about the shave part.

Note: I chose "100A" because it's Revision A and a three letter name won't come up in B&B searches yet. A search for Impulse 100A should come up with this post.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Is this a kit that a store put together themselves?

Is this a kit that a store put together themselves?

Nope. It's a recommendation. A starting point that one can get going quickly from local sources (in the USA). Wal-Mart, Target and a pharmacy and they have a single blade wetshaving setup to get started while they research and decide on what to order from the B&B Internet vendors.

might i suggest the bic metal instead of the sensitives 1-2 packs should be enough while finding, buying, and waiting for arrival of a razor (be it DE, SE, Injector, Straight, whatever)

local availability may vary though... around here a couple grocery stores have them $2 for a 5 pack and i can't be sure but i think i saw them at a nearby wal-mart (i'll let you know for sure since i'll be going there later today)

Ray at Gentleman's Best has a starter kit for 24 bucks shipped -

proxy.php

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129648

Last edited:
"That other shaving discussion board" has a sticky thread for cheap beginner's shaving supplies (ie, here's 3 brushes and 5 razors that you can find for under $20 each, here's 4 or 5 soaps/creams you can buy for under $10, etc.)

Might be an interesting addition to the wiki.

Chris has the right idea. This sort of information would be much easier to maintain on a wiki page than in a thread, sticky or otherwise.

Luc

Staff member
"That other shaving discussion board" has a sticky thread for cheap beginner's shaving supplies (ie, here's 3 brushes and 5 razors that you can find for under $20 each, here's 4 or 5 soaps/creams you can buy for under $10, etc.)

Might be an interesting addition to the wiki.

We already have a few suggestions in the Getting started page in Wiki http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Getting_started_wetshaving

I didn't want to put too much as too many choices can be confusing...

We already have a few suggestions in the Getting started page in Wiki http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Getting_started_wetshaving

I didn't want to put too much as too many choices can be confusing...

Understood. Any way the Getting Started page modernized to include the EJ DE89L. I have much more success converting people with the EJ DE89L than with the HD, or the Super Speed.

This is the current text: "The most common two models of razor recommended for starters are the Merkur HD and the Gillette Super Speed."

Luc

Staff member
Understood. Any way the Getting Started page modernized to include the EJ DE89L. I have much more success converting people with the EJ DE89L than with the HD, or the Super Speed.

This is the current text: "The most common two models of razor recommended for starters are the Merkur HD and the Gillette Super Speed."

Fixed

As I don't have that specific model in Wiki, I linked it to the Muhle R89 closed comb...

Top Bottom