What's new

My Simple Travel Shave Kit

The Penny looks interesting. i wonder how it compares to the Gillette Guard? What seems cool is that it is a forward pivot rather than the mid cart pivot of older style carts. Plus you can use the ball pivot handles, no? Thus you could take advantage of most of the modern engineering "improvements" without all the blades.

Could be a groovy hybrid.

There is a single-blade cartridge razor! The Penny Shaver from AP Shave. I just got back from a trip and it worked exceptionally well! I had an old Fusion handle, so just bought the cartridges, but one can buy the set. At 48 cents a cartridge, they are a great value too. I'm surprised and happy at how well they worked. They gave an incredibly comfortable, smooth, and close shave. The design with that big lather channel doesn't clog either, so nice compared to other carts. Highly recommended! I hope other folks buy these so they continue to be produced.

View attachment 1673518

It kind of looks like the Gillette Guard, which I did not like. Can't tell from their web site if it pivots or not, but I prefer a non-pivoting razor.

Hi all,

Travel has been sparse since the start of the pandemic, but I'm getting back into the mix again.

A friend had some soap containing glycerine confiscated from her carry-on, and I've seen several threads here corroborating her experience.

So, this seems like another hit or miss short of thing. I wonder how they determine soap composition? I wonder if they have any method for determining this, as opposed to identifying "soap" and then randomly saying that it does or doesn't contain glycerine?

I somehow doubt this.

Anyhow, i didn't have time to research every soap in this thread, but here's the ingredients list for La Toja sticks (from

Ingredients/Other​

Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocate, Potassium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerin, Sodium Cocate, Sodium Palmitate, Coconut Acid, Parfum, Mineral Salts, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool, Butylphenyl, Mehylpropional, Tetrasodium EDTA, Litro Sodium Etidronate- Cl 77891

... Thom

I have been working on a travel kit with some variety, one that I do not have to sacrifice what I enjoy. I work 3 week on and 3 weeks off, on a ship. I have a nice Boker knife case I have converted to a razor case. I pack a stainless handle I enjoy and I can bring out up to 4 heads won’t it. They pack nice and safe so I do not risk them scratching or damaging.

The heads I packed now are my R41 (my favorite), Henson AL13+++(best for trimming mustache), R89 (a milder option).

I am waiting on a SS Yaqi Tile head to replace the Henson. I am not a fan of using that Aluminum head on that SS handle. They are similar heads and will fill that need.

My favorite mild head is the Merkur 34. It being 2 piece, I don’t have that option so I pack the R89 which I am not a big fan of. I am currently looking for a Merkur head from a 3 piece (23C) to replace the R89 head.

That leaves me one more head to assemble my 4 pack. Have not decided what direction I want to go with the 4th.

This system will let me enjoy some variety at work and not sacrifice any of my good razors from home.

As for my other gear. I leave a cheap brush, after shaves, alum, witch hazel and a couple soap tubes on the ship while I am off, nothing that is not replaceable.

I do pack a shaving kit with me, I bring out my razors, a brush, and a couple soap pucks to keep my travel light.
IMG_0312.jpeg
IMG_0311.jpeg

I take a disposable BIC razor only. No brush, no cream, no soap, no nothing. Every other day I schmear on with my fingers whatever soap I find in the hotel and do a single WTG pass. That’s it. I do not aspire to a fine shave when I’m on the road

SR kit

Stainless Steel Böker Classic Razor
Mühle Synthetic Travel Brush
Kangaroo Strop
Shapton G7 0.85 micron or Preyda Trans Ark
DR Harris Arlington Shaving Soap Stick
DR Harris Arlington Aftershave Balm
Synthetic Sponge

IMG_0132.jpegIMG_0130.jpeg

DE kit

Gillette Tech
Feather Blades
Simpson Wee Scot Badger Brush

IMG_0235.jpeg

IMG_0234.jpeg

If I can’t take one of these, I ain’t shaving…

Last edited:
SR kit

Stainless Steel Böker Classic Razor
Mühle Synthetic Travel Brush
Kangaroo Strop
Shapton G7 0.85 micron or Preyda Trans Ark
Synthetic Sponge

View attachment 1679943View attachment 1679944

DE kit

Gillette Tech
Feather Blades
Simpson Wee Scot Badger Brush

View attachment 1679945

View attachment 1679946

If I can’t take one of these, I ain’t shaving…

Neither of those is getting through TSA.

There is a single-blade cartridge razor! The Penny Shaver from AP Shave. I just got back from a trip and it worked exceptionally well! I had an old Fusion handle, so just bought the cartridges, but one can buy the set. At 48 cents a cartridge, they are a great value too. I'm surprised and happy at how well they worked. They gave an incredibly comfortable, smooth, and close shave. The design with that big lather channel doesn't clog either, so nice compared to other carts. Highly recommended! I hope other folks buy these so they continue to be produced.
I have some on order as well right now. Same thing - I have an old fusion handle from college that was my “final” step in cartridge shaving before coming over here.

If they do well I’ll happily do that on the road and stop caring about maintaining my back stock of cartridges.

Last edited:
I can't part with my razors, so I've consigned them to the luggage bin down below. That said, I've found that with the delay in leaving my economy seat on various flights, my razor-laden suitcase is often already waiting for me on the luggage carousel when I arrive there.

Last travel set-up that recently got me through almost of month of travel between Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, and Paris:

Simpson Classic 1 synth w/dedicated travel tube;
Stirling Sheep soap;
Dugal open-comb safety razor;
Vi-John DE blades (5-pack);
1 bar towel.

Did the trick for me every time, with no weepers, nicks, or cuts.

Top Bottom