What's new

My Simple Travel Shave Kit

With several discussions about what shaving gear is and is not allowed in your carry-on bag, and having some items pinched from me post-TSA (I believe my bag was X-rayed when they gate checked it and items removed), I thought I would share my very simple and TSA compliant travel shave set up. Leaving for Toronto on Tuesday!

Razor: Bic Sensitive - You know, the orange disposables you can get anywhere. Single blade, no lubricant strip. These have worked well for me in the past. I'll bring two, just in case.
Brush: Omega S-brush - Had this for ages and it's been everywhere.
Soap and Aftershave: Samples from Stirling in their Barbershop - I don't know why I didn't think to use samples before! Will definitely last a week, especially as I only shave every other day.

Hope this helps people work out what to bring in their dopp kit.

travel.jpg

Everything is under 100ml for flying, cartridge blades. All liquids and even the soap, fit in the air travel fluid bag.

I use the same kit camping, but will bring a mug to soak my brush.

Gillette Guard.
A couple extra cartridges.
GFT lime skin food sample size.
IM shave stick with Haslinger Tallow.
RR Synthetic.

PXL_20230611_195348886.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Everything is under 100ml for flying, cartridge blades. All liquids and even the soap, fit in the air travel fluid bag.

Gillette Guard.
RR Synthetic.

View attachment 1669388
If I was a TAS Officer, I would confiscated that Irisch Moos just because it is 😁.

Gillette Guard.
RR Synthetic.

View attachment 1669388
I use the same Gillette for travel. I wish there was a better handle available for it though. I'm worried about it snapping in my bag

I'm trying something new for my next bit of travel:
  • Penny Shaver single-blade razor head from AP Shave
  • Soap scooped and smeared into an old proraso tub, which I'll load from
  • Yaqi brush I don't like much, but it isn't huge

We'll see how this goes

Similar situation for me. I'm firmly in the onebag/carry-on camp when I fly. I also fly a fair bit so it's important for me to have a system.

I leave my travel kit packed so that heading out the door requires little extra thought:
  • I still have a good supply of cartridges hanging around, so I'll usually bring along one of those (usually a tracII or Atra, but I still have 15-20 M3 refills as well).
  • Small brush
  • La Toja stick
  • Small vial of AS for domestic travel where I have Precheck and don't need to pull anything out. I'll omit this for my convenience and use hotel lotion if I am going anywhere I'll have to pull stuff out of my bag. I like smooth sailing and will accept that tradeoff.
  • I also use powdered toothpaste and a speedstick for travel, again for one less thing to think of on the liquid/gel front.

For a TSA screen, either/both brushes (I have hand lathered off the stick), maybe another stick for variety if it’s more than a week, the Trac II (bought a 100 pack of Personna carts years ago, I have plenty left), a couple AS sampler bottles in the bag. And it works as a 3-1-1 bag as well. That’s the whole dopp.

If I’m not doing TSA, I leave the Feather SS in it with the Trac II, and will take a couple straights and a travel strop with me. I’ve done a month out of that kit.

IMG_6454.jpeg

For a TSA screen, either/both brushes (I have hand lathered off the stick), maybe another stick for variety if it’s more than a week, the Trac II (bought a 100 pack of Personna carts years ago, I have plenty left), a couple AS sampler bottles in the bag. And it works as a 3-1-1 bag as well. That’s the whole dopp.

If I’m not doing TSA, I leave the Feather SS in it with the Trac II, and will take a couple straights and a travel strop with me. I’ve done a month out of that kit.

View attachment 1670452
A fellow Tom Bihn user. The 3D organizer inside a Tristar is my go-to when flying.

I just got to use the Penny Shaver cartridge from AP Shave. I can recommend it. It is much more like a SE/DE. Because of the design it doesn't clog like a cartridge. Plus it is much cheaper. The Sharpologist reviews it as well. I'd give it a look for travel. So far it is a great option IMHO.

UPDATE: This set up worked great! It sailed through TSA (although I have Pre-Check, so YMMV). I shaved twice while on vacation and I got a good shave each time. I think the Bic Sensitive is about as close to a DE razor as you can get. I have enough soap and aftershave for another trip.

I'm not sure I would change anything. It would be great if there was a single-blade cartridge razor (I'm aware of the Gillette Guard and it did not work for me). I may try the Bic Metal as a comparison. For cold weather travel I would need to find a small container of balm.

UPDATE: This set up worked great! It sailed through TSA (although I have Pre-Check, so YMMV). I shaved twice while on vacation and I got a good shave each time. I think the Bic Sensitive is about as close to a DE razor as you can get. I have enough soap and aftershave for another trip.

I'm not sure I would change anything. It would be great if there was a single-blade cartridge razor (I'm aware of the Gillette Guard and it did not work for me). I may try the Bic Metal as a comparison. For cold weather travel I would need to find a small container of balm.
Ah yes the venerable old Bic Orange!

I used them for nearly 3 decades, before an actually quite brief foray into carts, which I didn't use for more than 7-8 years.

Single blade, fixed angle, demands an education into angle (with the Bic Whites, a bloody and brutal one) Almost weightless, so lessons on less than zero pressure..

Convinced my decades with the Bic made my transition to DE shaving mostly easy and unremarkable.

The mighty Bic original SE disposable!

Last edited:
I bought a plastic box from a China seller on eBay for 72 cents. In that goes a Hydro 5, a thin styptic pencil and a couple of cotton balls to keep things in place. For shaving cream I decant some Bigelow into an emptied hotel toiletry tube using one of those flavor injector syringes. That covers 7 days no problem, the Hydro is good for three weeks or more.

I use Kiehls Close Shavers Squadron creme in a small tube. Kiehls eliminates the brush (and possibly a lather bowl/scuttle) which eliminates the associated issues with drying the brush after use etc. Some sort of cartridge razor, currently Gillette Sensor with a few extra blades. Institute Karit A/S balm, again in the small tube. It all fits into a sandwich-sized ziplock bag. This works fine in the carry-on for trips of about a week. For longer trips, I'll pack a more traditional kit in my checked bag.

For a time I traveled with a DE razor, a Shavemac badger travel brush, Tabac soap, and a small lather bowl in my carry-on. I never liked putting a damp brush into my luggage just before departing on the next leg of a journey. I don't like synthetic brushes and would rather use a creme like Kiehls. I stopped carrying the DE razor when TSA confiscated the razor and blades, never can depend on them to not be arbitrary and capricious.

There is a single-blade cartridge razor! The Penny Shaver from AP Shave. I just got back from a trip and it worked exceptionally well! I had an old Fusion handle, so just bought the cartridges, but one can buy the set. At 48 cents a cartridge, they are a great value too. I'm surprised and happy at how well they worked. They gave an incredibly comfortable, smooth, and close shave. The design with that big lather channel doesn't clog either, so nice compared to other carts. Highly recommended! I hope other folks buy these so they continue to be produced.

PennyShaver.png

Top Bottom