What's new

Futur head problems?

Hi All,

Just taken delivery of my second DE razor - the futur. (RAD is kicking in)

My gosh it's a beastie - anyway that's for another topic.

I've taken the head off a couple of times just to see how to operate it (as you do), and have noticed that one of the retaining pins is much more bent than the other.

Now if I install a blade, you can see that it doesn't sit flat in the head - having a much narrower gap on one side than the other - is this normal? My feeling is no.

Anyone else had similar issues?

J

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My main issue with the Futur is that the head can pop off and zip right down the drain. I fished mine out of sink traps more than once! I prefer a screw-together or a TTO.

My main issue with the Futur is that the head can pop off and zip right down the drain. I fished mine out of sink traps more than once! I prefer a screw-together or a TTO.

pretty quickly I figured out by placing a finger on top of the cap, this can be avoided

The cap on mine is on tight and straight. And there is no chance of it popping off. In fact, my experience is the opposite in that when I pop one side off for access to the blade I need to be firm with removing the other side to thepoint that I am worried I am applying too much pressure and it might break.

On closer inspection, one of the pins is much more flexible than the other with "memory" - so it doesn't spring back.

It's on a return journey to the shop who say they have one more in stock.

Is anyone aware of a "bad batch" of futur's?

The cap on the futur, once popped in properly, should be tight and secure. It should by NO MEANS be wiggly, uneven or worse, popping off when shaving. This sounds like a manufacturing defect to an extreme.

My futur has been solid ever since i got it and the head pops off with slight force to change blades and never is loose or wiggly or uneven.

As a matter of fact, the futur is the best razor i have ever shaved with and has tremendous quality. If it's anything but perfect for you, i would send it back until you get a flawless one!

I'd just contact Merkur directly. I got my Futur second-hand and the head was scratched up. I contacted Merkur asking how much a replacement head would be, and they just sent me a new one, free of charge.

If my Futur EVER did that, I'd be sending it back in for a refund or an exchange. That sounds like a manufacturing defect. I've had my Futur for almost two years and the head has never popped off on mine, even the few times I've dropped it.

The shop deemed it as faulty - and interestingly said:

"there is a perception of perceived quality given by the opinions of some on internet based forums (for merkur) which may not be accurate . . . "

I have to agree with what seems to be the majority opionion on this thread, my Futur ROCKS! I've never had the head pop off, and have actually dropped it once. It seems like a very stable piece of kit to me.

As for the other people <Chris Crocker>"Leave Merkur alone! They are out there everyday working their poor fingers to the bone making razors so you can shave your stupid facial hair! How dare you talk bad about them, they make your life better!"</Chris Crocker> :lol:

Mike

Mike

The shop deemed it as faulty - and interestingly said:

"there is a perception of perceived quality given by the opinions of some on internet based forums (for merkur) which may not be accurate . . . "

Which vendor was this if i may ask?

Got it, thanks. I don't know the vendor but for a vendor to come out and tell one of his clients such a thing....well....it just doesn't settle well with me. Merkur has fantastic quality and even better service and i dare to say the DE shaving community wouldn't be half as big/good as it is without Merkur.

That being said, make sure you get the product you paid for and a product that is flawless. Contact Merkur if you need to in order to get the perfect shaver.

Just taken delivery of the the replacement. It has the same problem - the head does not sit flush to the body.

On closer inspection, this one does not have a problem with the pins - rather the head it's self.

I have taken these images with the razor on setting 1 - just so that it's easier to see the gap difference.

Click on the images for the larger one.

Side A

Side B

Is this "normal"?

Thanks

J

Just taken delivery of the the replacement. It has the same problem - the head does not sit flush to the body.

On closer inspection, this one does not have a problem with the pins - rather the head it's self.

I have taken these images with the razor on setting 1 - just so that it's easier to see the gap difference.

Click on the images for the larger one.

Side A

Side B

Is this "normal"?

Thanks

J

I'd REALLY contact Merkur about it.

Not the reply I'd hoped for

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. August 2010 11:32
An: 'Jason'
Betreff: AW: Merkur Futur problems.
Dear Jason,

Thank you very much for your email.

If the gap appears slightly uneven, it is due to normal tolerances and not an indication for a defect. The slight tolerances are quite normal (the chrome plating will not have the exact same thickness all over the razor due to the curving surface), so this might lead to slight differences in the blade gap on one side of the razor head versus the other. Also, the razor is assembled by hand, so there will always be tolerances that do not influence the function of the razor, nor its performance.

In addition the blade - when inserted - has a little bit of give around the cut-outs along the center for easier loading and removing. Since it is virtually impossible to hold the razor top 100 % in balance so you can center the blade perfectly, the blade will always be a little bit more exposed on one side than the other. Again, this is normal and will happen to basically every safety razor.
If you feel that one side is more agressive than the other, try loading the razor with the blade tipping it towards the less agressive side while closing it, so the more agressive side should become less so.
Best regards,
Anne Rothstein
MERKUR Stahlwaren GmbH & Co. KG
Boecklinstr. 10
42719 SOLINGEN
GERMANY
phone: ++49-212-2300135
fax: ++49-212-313612
email: [email protected] or [email protected]
UID-No. DE811951654
HRA: 20249 - HRB: 15557 Wuppertal
GF: Markus Kirschbaum