What's new

Merkur 38C came apart!

I've had this razor since March 2010. Today, when I swapped out my blade after a shave, the bottom slipped out. Before I could catch it properly, the ring apparently intended to keep it locked into the razor body split.

proxy.php

I was using Mama Bear's Toasted Coconut soap, which I haven't used but once before. It worked fine when I was using Lime Ice, so I blame this all on Toasted Coconut. Or maybe it was the BIC blade I was swapping out. Yeah. Can't be Merkur, right? :blink: I mean, this is German engineering!

Seriously, who do I contact? Merkur or the vendor I got the handle from? Anyone else had this problem? I figure that, pending a fix, I can just put it back together and use it without the locking ring, but it shouldn't be able to come apart like this.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I would start with the vendor, and then contact Dovo/Merkur if, for whatever reason, the vendor won't stand behind it.

Some folks prefer Merkur's this way, and purposely remove the retaining ring. This is mimics the way some of the older Gillettes were made. You could consider it an enhancement!

eric.

Some folks prefer Merkur's this way, and purposely remove the retaining ring. This is mimics the way some of the older Gillettes were made. You could consider it an enhancement!

I have to admit that this would be easier to clean thoroughly.

Hi - just registered on this site so I can add to this thread. I have a Merkur 38C with exactly the same issue. Mine was purchased as a used item which I've cleaned up and is 'as new', however, the other day I was changing the blade, and the same thing happened to me.

Can anyone advise whether I can purchase a replacement part at all? I can't find any links on the internet to get hold of this part.

Mind you, as has been said above, without the ring it is much easier to clean thoroughly.

Take care

Impster

That broken ring sucks. I've had my merkur 38c apart twice. First time I just had to see how things work and second time I forgot how much fun it was getting that darned ring back in. Good information though! I'll be watching the post to see how you went about getting it resolved. Hope it falls into place soon! Thanks for sharing!

The repair is quite simple. A new retainer snap-ring, slid down over the knob assembly shaft, is all that is necessary. When you reassemble it, hold the ring closed, being certain that the ring remains in the groove, with a pair of needle-nose pliers as you slide the knob assembly into the handle tube. It is far easier to actually do it, than explain it.

Merkur uses this same type of snap-ring in other razors, case in point being my 1970's vintage Progress. Precisely the same type of ring, however, a different size. The ring in my Progress did the same thing... and Merkur mailed me a new one at no charge. That was more than 20-years ago. There was no reoccurrence of the problem.

Incidentally, I doubt very much that these snap-rings are manufactured by Merkur (this little device is correctly referred to as an internal snap-ring). These parts are provided by third party suppliers of industrial fasteners. Merkur is simply a victim of poor heat-treatment QC on the part of the fastener manufacturer.

These retaining rings are made from 3/8th brass tubing that cut and then plated.
Your unlikely to find one at the hardware store.
I have a length of brass tubing and could make you one, but it wouldn't be plate.
Bob.

Update: I emailed Merkur yesterday to see if I could purchase a new retaining ring.

Got a lovely email back from Anne at Merkur. She is sending a replacement to me free of charge from Germany to the UK!

Now that's what I call good old-fashioned customer service. Well done Merkur.

Impster

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Update: I emailed Merkur yesterday to see if I could purchase a new retaining ring.

Got a lovely email back from Anne at Merkur. She is sending a replacement to me free of charge from Germany to the UK!

Now that's what I call good old-fashioned customer service. Well done Merkur.

Impster

I mean this very sincerely when I say that this post is the epitome of a good lesson to anyone who does business with the public.

Here you have someone who has an item he purchased not long ago that broke.

Quick, polite and decisive customer service turned this situation completely around.

Rather than complaining that the item broke in the first place, he is singing praises about the Manufacturer.

Never underestimate the power of good customer service.

I mean this very sincerely when I say that this post is the epitome of a good lesson to anyone who does business with the public.

Here you have someone who has an item he purchased not long ago that broke.

Quick, polite and decisive customer service turned this situation completely around.

Rather than complaining that the item broke in the first place, he is singing praises about the Manufacturer.

Never underestimate the power of good customer service.

You are absolutely right.

i just about CRAPPED MY PANTS.

just finished my 1st ever cold shave (great by the way) and when i was cleaning my shaver the bottom fell out.

quickly jumped on B&B, saw that it was an easy fix. my retainer ring had just slipped down onto the shaft i didn't realize it.

popped it back into place, slid it over the red sleeve (i have the red merkur 38) and voila. good as new, or at least working like it did before.

wowsers, that was scary...considering i don't have another DE right now.

The retaining ring is split from the factory just press it together and slide the screw assembly back into the handle. I take my 38C totally apart everytime I use it so that the inside of the handle can dry out. To take it apart just press the exposed part of the ring together with your fingers and then slide the screw assembly out of the handle.

Clayton

Top Bottom