What's new

How do you speak Speick?

If its German it is "Shpike"

If it is English its "Speak"

I actually studied pronunciation in college... (I'm a music major)

Why would it be "speak" in English?

The rule for double vowels in English is the first one is pronounced.

In German the second vowel is pronounced.

I don't know why, that's just the way it is?

However, there are words that are exceptions... like field but in general this rule works...

It's a name, though. We wouldn't apply English pronunciation rules (which scarcely exist anyway) to Muhle-Pinsel, for example.

The rule for double vowels in English is the first one is pronounced.

In German the second vowel is pronounced.

I don't know why, that's just the way it is?

However, there are words that are exceptions... like field but in general this rule works...

Who cares, you do not have to pronounce it correctly to be allowed to use it. If this were the case for all types of goods then the anglo-saxon part of the world would never be allowed to acquire a Porsche.:lol:

Who cares, you do not have to pronounce it correctly to be allowed to use it. If this were the case for all types of goods then the anglo-saxon part of the world would never be allowed to acquire a Porsche.:lol:

:lol: You're exactly right! I've heard Porsche pronounced all different ways, even Audi gets butchered from time to time.

It really doesn't matter how people pronounce the names of items from other countries. On the other hand some members may be curious how to say certain names of what they like to use. It's just a matter of preference I suppose.

Shawn

I did not mean to offend anyone, it is actually quite respectable to learn to pronounce names correctly. I just felt like adding some derision to the thread.

I like Speick AS and RasierSeife :biggrin1: so much, I ended up giving a search on youtube..:blushing:
And I've found this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjXZlDf8WdQ

Listen to HELGA, at minute 3:00, she is from Austria and I believe she is qualified to give the correct pronunciation of the work Speick.
Not that the Italian guy, and the madam on the right don't pronounce it correctly. I supose..

Could the German speaking gentlemen on this forum confirm that Speick is pronounced like Helga does it at minute 3?
Danke!

Top Bottom