• Best shave I have ever had

• DFS, good experience, but I could do better at home

• CCS, but the experience was nice

• Lousy shave and a poor experience

• My barber's name was Sweeny Todd

• I haven't had a barbershop shave, but I like to vote in polls

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've had one...small Turkish barber shop in Edinburgh (Haymarket) for £8

Hot towel. Lots of really creamy lather (Arko cream) applied with a HUGE brush (looked like one of the cheap ebay ones from China). He shaved me with a "shavette" style razor...I forgot to ask about the blade type until after I'd left (Doh!). Shave was very quick, 2 passes, WTG then ATG. Didn't feel like too much pressure and only minor irritation on my neck (nothing I couldn't live with).
The AS splash was Arko Commando! Pretty strong and a bit too "floral" for my taste :blush:

Got a pretty good, basic haircut in the same chair for £5

Overall, a pretty good shave...certainly CCS with no nicks or weepers :thumbup:

Had my first Barbershop shave today, and it won't be my last. Great expereince, I was surprised at how close the shave is, even in my trouble areas. Had choice of aftershaves too.

The History of Molon labe.

Two little words. With these two words, two concepts were verbalized that have lived for nearly two and a half Millennia. They signify and characterize both the heart of the Warrior, and the indomitable spirit of mankind.

In 480 B.C. the forces of the Persian Empire under King Xerxes, numbering, according to Herodotus, two million men, bridged the Hellespont and marched in their myriads to invade and enslave Greece.

King Leonidas of Sparta and another Greek city-state agreed to help stop the invading Persians, and marched with 300 hand-picked troops to Thermopylae on the north coast of Greece. Thermopylae was the best of three possible defensive areas in which Xerxes' invading army had to advance. This mountain gap along the coast was about 60 feet wide, and was the best location for a blocking action. The confines between mountains and sea were so narrow that the Persian multitudes and their cavalry would be at least partially neutralized. Since the 300 knew they were going to die fighting against overwhelming force the first requirement was that each man had to have a son left behind.

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

"Our archers are so numerous," said the envoy, "that the flight of their arrows darkens the sun."

"So much the better," replied Dienekes, a Spartan warrior, "for we shall fight them in the shade."

After days of fighting and having killed countless numbers of Xerxes' elite troops, they were finally overrun after being betrayed by a traitor who showed the enemy another pass behind the defenders. King Leonidas, his Spartans and their Thespian allies died to the last man. Xerxes marched on and destroyed Athens. The standard of valor set by this sacrifice inspired the Greeks to rally and, in that fall and spring, defeat the Persians at Salamis and Plataea and preserve the beginnings of Western democracy and freedom from perishing in the cradle.

Two memorials remain today at Thermopylae. Upon the modern one, called the Leonidas Monument in honor of the Spartan king who fell there, is engraved his response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas' reply was two words:

Molon labe

" 'Come and get them.' "

The second monument is a plaque dedicated to those heroes at the site. It reads: "Go tell the Spartans, travelers passing by, that here, obedient to their laws we lie." The point of this true story is when anybody demands you to give up your guns, tell them "MOLON LABE". You may fall in the first fight, but many more will step into your place and a determined and organized people can do anything.

Molon Labe! (mo-lone lah-veh)

They mean, “Come and get them!” They live on today as the most notable quote in military history. And so began the classic example of courage and valor in its dismissal of overwhelming superiority of numbers, wherein the heart and spirit of brave men overcame insuperable odds.

We have adopted this defiant utterance as a battle cry in our war against oppression because it says so clearly and simply towards those who would take our arms.

It signifies our determination to not strike the first blow, but also to not stand mute and allow our loved ones, and all that we believe in and stand for, to be trampled by men who would deprive us of our God-given – or natural, if you will – rights to suit their own ends.

http://www.molonlabe.com/

Back in 1835, when Texians were muttering that the central government in Mexico City wasn't adhering to the Republican constitution, Mexican officials in San Antonio recalled that settlers in Gonzales, about 65 miles east, had been given a cannon to use in repelling Indians. Knowing that rebellion was being discussed, the top brass asked the Gonzales folks to send the cannon back. The reply was, "Come and take it." That was lettered on the Gonzales flag of rebellion, along with a sketch of a cannon, and the flag (I believe) can be seen today in the Texas House of Representatives chamber in Austin. The language was different but the sentiment was the same.

Best shave i ever had, no towel, no lotions just a straight some soap and clearly years of experience.

Its been many, many years since I've had a barbershop shave. In fact it was when I was in the Air Force in Korea.

The base barbers would do a full and complete straight shave that would last for 2 or 3 days. Man was it nice, and it only cost .15 cents. Like I said, it was many years ago. :wheelchair: :117:

I haven't had a barber shave since the late 70s, NYC, Astor Place Barbershop. Old guys, old school,hot towels, espuma y nada mas, knew what they were doing, great shaves--PERFECT--and I recall them being a couple of bucks! I think it was $1.50, although I may be wrong, distance clouds the memory.

I went to my barber, Frank, who was trained in Italy in the 1950's-it was an outstanding experience. He's been cutting my hair since I'm 10 years old and cut my grandfather's, fathers, and son's hair.

proxy.php

I have only had barbers shop shaves while on holiday in Turkey. The reason I went to one was I was recommended to go by a friend while I was out there I was a bit unsure at first but you gotta try new things so gave it a go and loved it. I knew nothing about proper shaving at the time but respected the skill involved and it wasn't a swanky looking place just a basic shop where the locals go but I left feeling comfortable, relaxed and smooth:thumbup1:

when I got home I started to miss my wet shaves and now I'm here and learning loads.

Got my first barber shop/straight razor shave last week.

Not from my regular barber because she doesn't do shaves.

The experience was nice but the shave was only a CCS.

May try it again but with another barber in the shop.

Never had one.

It's a trust issue.... something to do with a blade at my throat.

But I like to vote in polls. :lol:

I've had only one, and it was a good experience but a lousy shave. The prep phase was really lovely, I'd never had steam towels applied to my face before. But the actual shave was painful and not particularly good; a shavette was used, which was disappointing (thought I know now that it's a sanitation thing), and she scraped the living hell out of my face. That having been said, I probably should have come into the shop with far less growth than I did. Nevertheless, it wasn't something I'd ever rush to do again.

While a College Student in Little Rock Ark I got a Barber shave 2 times a month 95% on friday afternoon or Sat morning depending when I had a hot date. On my face a Barber shop shave last 3+ days back then. They were the BEST SHAVES I HAVE EVER HAD!!!!!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I live in a small town in South Carolina just outside Charlotte, NC. We have a Mayberry type barbershop where I used to get my hair cut. One day I asked for a shave; Wormy, the barber, told me he didn't do shaves any more. I asked when he quit and he said, "Since some guy invented the Bic".

I have a problem with someone with a straight razor at my throat also so a barbershop shave isn't one of my priorities.

I almost nearly had my first barber shop shave today but the guy said i did'nt have enough hair to shave, also that red heads have tough stubble to shave and that typically my skin type would make the shave an unpleasant experience. :blink: He said i'd need 3/4 days growth before he'd entertain it.......well that's not gonna happen.

I almost nearly had my first barber shop shave today but the guy said i did'nt have enough hair to shave, also that red heads have tough stubble to shave and that typically my skin type would make the shave an unpleasant experience. :blink: He said i'd need 3/4 days growth before he'd entertain it.......well that's not gonna happen.

Sounds like he's not very confident of his abilities! I've got the "ginger gene" from my Dad so have a few copper whiskers, I don't notice any difference in how they shave from the brown (and grey) ones. He says you have tough stubble but then wants you to leave it longer? That doesn't make sense :lol: Plus, good prep will overcome most skin types (and soften the toughest stubble) :001_smile

Sounds like you had a lucky escape :thumbup1:

Top Bottom