What's new

Pleese razor

I found this unusual razor at an antique show last weekend. It's a three piece "Pleese" razor. For it's very small size it has some real weight. Stamped underneath the head are: "PLEESE” LTD. and PALESTINE 1945

It is shorter than a Merkur HD by almost a quarter inch. The handle is only 3/8 inch in diameter. It weighs only a few grams less than the HD which is pretty amazing when you consider the heft of the HD. I found the following information from a description of one that was for sale on ebay:

"This rare razor was manufactured in the days of the British Mandate in Palestine. The “PLEESE” company was a Jewish Cooperative located in the city of HOLON. After the establishment of the state of Israel it became the “PLEESE AMCOR” Company (1950s), which continued to manufacture Safety Razors to the Israeli Army until the 1970s. "

Additionally, I found out that the Pleese company also manufactured Israeli army helmets.

I shaved with this razor for the first time this morning and got a pretty decent shave although I had to pay very close attention to blade angle.

Here are some pictures. Do any of you gents have one of these?
proxy.php

Printing says "PLEESE" LTD. and PALESTINE 1945 (hard to read in picture)
proxy.php
proxy.php

Rich --

Never heard of them, an interesting find. Kind of makes you wonder how many companies produced razors over the last century.

-- John Gehman

I've shaved with the Pleese razor two more times since posting the pictures above. This razor is really growing on me. It's a real smooth shaver and very easy to maneuver in the tricky areas. Too bad they are so uncommon. I think that many of you guys would love this razor.

I found this unusual razor at an antique show last weekend. It's a three piece "Pleese" razor. For it's very small size it has some real weight. Stamped underneath the head are: "PLEESE” LTD. and PALESTINE 1945

It is shorter than a Merkur HD by almost a quarter inch. The handle is only 3/8 inch in diameter. It weighs only a few grams less than the HD which is pretty amazing when you consider the heft of the HD. I found the following information from a description of one that was for sale on ebay:

"This rare razor was manufactured in the days of the British Mandate in Palestine. The “PLEESE” company was a Jewish Cooperative located in the city of HOLON. After the establishment of the state of Israel it became the “PLEESE AMCOR” Company (1950s), which continued to manufacture Safety Razors to the Israeli Army until the 1970s. "

Additionally, I found out that the Pleese company also manufactured Israeli army helmets.

Wow! I spent 25 years in Israel, and NEVER heard of this company. Now, the AMCOR company is, today, one of Israel's biggest producers of consumer electronics (household mostly, such as stoves and refrigerators, and air-conditioners, among many other products).

My ex-wife is Israeli, and her birth certificate says "Palestine"... also, she was born in 1945.

Holon is a "satellite suburb" of Tel-Aviv; a nice place to live.

How interesting, that I learn something like this about Israel, AFTER moving back to the US. Much thanks to you, and to the B&B community.

How interesting, that I learn something like this about Israel, AFTER moving back to the US. Much thanks to you, and to the B&B community.

I'm gratified that I was able to pass on a bit of information that captured your interest. If I ever run across another "Pleese" razor, I'll give you a holler.

A

Adel

No selling until you meet the minimum time/post criteria.

Please read the rules in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

Top Bottom