What's new

Levels of shave closeness?

This is my general understanding of what these terms should look/feel like in the real world. Feel free to add/subtract/correct any part for the edification of the community:

SAS - Socially Acceptable Shave
No visible patches of stubble, but quite a bit of roughness, especially if rubbing against the grain. :thumbup1:

CCS - Close, Comfy Shave
Little or no visible stubble but follicles of the more heavily bearded may be seen. Some roughness, while not visible, can be felt at various points of the face.

DFS - Darn Fine Shave
No stubble visible; follicles may or may not be seen, depending on the beard. Less rough/generally smooth feel except for a couple of tough to get spots.

BBS - Baby Butt Smooth
No stubble and few follicles visible (again, depending). Smoothest possible feel all over. Looks and feels essentially beardless.

Close enough?

Last edited:
There is also S.A.S: Socially Acceptable Shave.

It might be close to the same thing as C.C.S. using your descriptions.

I would define a S.A.S as no visible patches of stubble, but quite a bit of roughness, especially if rubbing against the grain.

It can be accomplished via a quick one pass WTG shave, and some minor touch ups. :thumbup:

It was my understand that BBS had no "except for"; that it was just completely smooth and stubble free everywhere. Maybe it's just interpretation.

It was my understand that BBS had no "except for"; that it was just completely smooth and stubble free everywhere. Maybe it's just interpretation.

No, that's how I'd take it, too, except most guys have that spot or two that just will not come clean without blood, fire and regret. The spot I have is pretty common, I'm glad to hear (it ain't just me lack of technique).

Right; push your thumb hard in your face and move it ATG. Feel anything? If so you don't have a BBS. :w00t:

Yeah; BBS HAS TO be flawless, or else it's not BBS.
That means: "Thou shalt not feel anything", period.:001_cool:

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with the description of the other levels.

C_J

Nomination for this thread to be elevated to Sticky status.

My illusions shattered...what I thought were BBSs were only CCSs and DFSs.

Jeff in Boston

I have been DE-shaving for about 2 months and I do not think I have ever achieved a BBS although I have tried to many times. Since I have a three month old daughter I have the privilege to examine what BBS is and I think it is safe to say that it is a level of perfection quite unatainable on a 1-3 pass routine. Actually, I find the effort of getting rid of that last 2-3% of stubble is coupled with so much more risk of cutting myself on the chin or above-mouth area, that I'll settle for a DFS anytime. Consequently I would like to give all newbies out there the following advice: stop pursuing the futile BBS-quest, set DFS as your goal and you will get an even more enjoyable and relaxing shave-experience.

damn. And here I thought I'd been getting BBS shaves the last few weeks. My face is perfectly smooth UNLESS I press my thumb hard into my face and pull it against the grain. *sigh*

So, I've never had a BBS shave. Evidently my 3-pass shave ain't quite enough.

damn. And here I thought I'd been getting BBS shaves the last few weeks. My face is perfectly smooth UNLESS I press my thumb hard into my face and pull it against the grain. *sigh*

So, I've never had a BBS shave. Evidently my 3-pass shave ain't quite enough.

My friend dont worry i think we all are in agreement we would not want a sharp stick in or eye either....:001_smile So why shove a thumb in our face....:blink:

I have been DE wetshaving since July, and although greatly improving my technique, I'm sure I've only achieved a BBS once. Likely quite accidental, and until I can repeat that happy occurence, I have been getting SAS's, and DFS'S. That's fine for now, however I like many acknowledge that endlessly "Seeking the BBS" will lead many a newbie to razor burn, and dejection...myself included.

So, I have contented myself by not "Seeking the BBS" like some modern day DE Sir Pellinore, and just concentrating on my technique, and critiquing my own results. My shaves are consistently resulting in SAS'S or DFS'S and I'm hoping that I will begin to get near BBS'S on a regular basis.

If I get too caught up in "going after" those stubborn bits of "follicular mass" I end up with an irritated neck, and an irritated attitude. I can equate "Seeking the BBS" with other phrases of the past that describe dangerous, or potentially harmful behavior....

"Chasing the Dragon", "Dancing with the Green Fairy", "Playing the three-penny upright" etc.

I just realized, I need a clarification on my post. "Seeking a BBS" is a noble endeavor, and a justifiable goal...I think "Forcing the BBS" would probably be the truer statement as it relates to irritation etc.
Anyway, nice post for clarification on the levels of closeness.

By this revised definition - which I fully accept and will alter shortly - I have not had a BBS since my very early '20s, before my whiskers had fully coarsened to where they are now. Since then? Nope. Losing all the skin necessary, and EVEN THEN not getting every single hair, ain't worth it.

Right; push your thumb hard in your face and move it ATG. Feel anything? If so you don't have a BBS. :w00t:

Are you kidding? It's hard for me to tell... :blink:

If not, I can't agree with this. A BBS shave feels smooth when you rub your face even against the grain - but pressure will always find follicles somewhere. This is DE shaving, not twin blade. You're not supposed to be shaving under the skin.

I grade a BBS shave on a dry face with little to no pressure. A still wet beard doesn't count as the hair will shrink as it dries...even putting aftershave or witch hazel on will expand things a bit and let me feel stubble that wasn't there seconds ago.

I would like to add Testicles Have Not Dropped Yet (THNDY) to the list. It is a long story on the advent of this one but suffice it to say it is just shy of BBS. To use your official terminology it would most likely be described as:

THNDY - Testicles Have Not Dropped Yet
No stubble and few follicles visible. Smoothest possible feel all over. Looks and feels essentially beardless however when your wife caresses your face she says it is just shy of BBS.

Top Bottom