What's new

Do any of you shave too close?

Now this could be due to myself having sensitive skin and coarse, thick hair. Or even other environmental factors causing my skin to be dry but there are times that I feel I shave too close. What I mean by that is after some hair grows back, running my face and stubble I actually feel irritation. I actually feel sharp pokey needle like pain in certain areas.

I had this happen after using my SCS Model A with a Feather. I had a great shave. Zero irritation. It was super smooth and pretty damn close. I only went WTG and XTG, but it felt super coarse and irritating once my stubble started to grow back. I wasn’t red or anything but I definitely in a way felt raw. Anyone else feel that way sometimes after a shave? Like it’s almost too close? Or is it just me? 😅

Now this could be due to myself having sensitive skin and coarse, thick hair. Or even other environmental factors causing my skin to be dry but there are times that I feel I shave too close. What I mean by that is after some hair grows back, running my face and stubble I actually feel irritation. I actually feel sharp pokey needle like pain in certain areas.

I had this happen after using my SCS Model A with a Feather. I had a great shave. Zero irritation. It was super smooth and pretty damn close. I only went WTG and XTG, but it felt super coarse and irritating once my stubble started to grow back. I wasn’t red or anything but I definitely in a way felt raw. Anyone else feel that way sometimes after a shave? Like it’s almost too close? Or is it just me? 😅
I think you just need to use something to soothe your face so you don’t feel the discomfort. A good moisturiser with some soothing ingredients will do, the moisturiser will make the raw feeling go away and the soothing ingredients will make the discomfort disappear. As to what is the cause I don’t know 🤷‍♂️ never experienced something similar.

Yes - on a few occasions I've managed a BBS finish, but with a very raw feeling face, weepers, and a general wish I hadn't been so diligent.

I've come to accept that a three pass shave for me can sometimes be too much, especially ATG around my mouth and under the nose. These days I aim for a smooth, comfortable shave, accepting that there may be some irksome stubble in my problem areas (either side of my Adam's Apple) left behind. But I'd rather have that than a face full of weepers and a feeling that my face has been sand papered.

For me there is a very fine line between a shave that is too close and one that I consider close enough. What I consider a "Deep BBS" sometimes turns out to be a little too deep, especially on the neck line. I will realise it about 12 hours after the shave, once some significant regrowth has occurred.

I am finding that using shavettes is getting me very close shaves, but the shallow angle I adopt seems to mitigate against shaving a little too close.

It boils down to the old chestnut of not shooting for BBS, but letting it come to you.

If I see blood or extreme itching from razor burn. If I try to rush a shave with either new blade or one I’m trying to get another shave out of. But normally a single pass will suffice, especially while at work.

Too Close? A bit confessed but I did see you stated no irration. But then you did, as grows back. Guess what I can suggest, I have been doing for decades with both straights and de's. Straight basics for me are, have the time, take your time, pull the skin, I do it always. Execute pre-shave, during shave, post shave skin protection, this is my best shave practices ( be open and find what works best for you) : Wash my face with a gental face cleaner, I use a pre-shave oil ( I make my own) - let it sit for a bit, next I have a mix of organic vegetable glycerin & rose water (or distilled water- about 50/50 ish) - apply a light covering over the face, now apply your soap, shave away - slow, enjoy and methodical - pull the skin. On the next pass, very lightly rinse then apply the glycerin again, execute the 2 pass.. Hopefully you are done with the shave. Post shave: Rinse the face, use a Alum block - w/ cold water. Let is sit for around a minute. Rinse throughly, pat dry. Now apply a Witch Hazel Toner (WITH NO ALCOLHOL) - I suggest Diclinsons > ALCOHOL FREE, HYDRATING TONER WITH ROSEWATER to your face. Wait a few minutes to let it absorb in. Next you have a couple of choices either a good clean After Sun Aloe or an oil-free hyaluronic acid serum. Or you can do both, serum first - just wait for it to absorb, then the Aloe. Once that absorbs, apply a good sensivite face mositurizer! Done...
Now all these steps my seem excessive.
But again these steps are protecting your skin, destressing the skin, and renourishing / repairing your skin...
My ex-wife years back guided me this, she is a dermatologists & cosmetic expert..
Again these steps have truly made my shaves worrry free, pain free, skin stress free, and much more healthier...
Note: the old YMMV....this is just a guide I use.
Be open, Be out of the box, do your research, Try, find what works best for you.

Remember you command the blade, it does not command you...

Also, last face tip...
At least wash your face twice a day. DAY/EVENING . Gental cleaner...
Your blade is the skin exfoliator and stubble executionist..
Add some protection(& or SPF) and mostiuserizer after.
At least once if you are shaving

Hope it is a help..

Cheers
BFX

How long you been wet shaving?

Do you use pressure, or let Razors Weight do work?

Technique problem.

You haven't provided detail regarding your post shave techniques. Some recommendations -

1. Witch hazel is a good product to help with razor burn.
2. A balm will also help. Nivea Sensitive, or Proraso are two good choices - there are a bunch more.
3. Get an alum block and rub over your face. It will provide good feedback and show you your trouble spots.

Finally - settle for a DFS.

I've had plenty of shaves that are too close and it always leads to bumps or spots. I stick to a two-pass shave and never aim for more than a DFS. Using a mild open comb like a Fatip or Merkur is perfect for that as they are not too efficient.

Top Bottom