What's new

How To start wet shaving.

M

modern man

I had a thought on how to get newbie’s rolling in the land of wet shaving. i.e. how to start, here it goes and I hope it helps.

OK all you lurkers listen up, been wanting to try wet shaving and searching online for it, here is instant bliss.

STOP right now………….turn the computer off and run out to Target (don’t worry we will wait until you come back). Get thy self the Proraso collection (cream, pre/post, after shave balm, and brush) if they have Aqua Velva and Toms of Mane get it as well.

While you are at it get a Gillette Sensor (should hold you over before you pick up a DE).

Now for the DE razor,may suggest a Gillette Super Speed (you can find IT on eBay or on this site!!? Check the shopping forum) also a Merkur HD (to be found all over the internet) It may be more expensive but it will be NEW.

Blades, Blades, Blades See LetterK and get a sample pack………………That’s it you have started the wonderful world of wet shaving now how to do it.

1. Read the Kyle’s Sticky's to be found on check in site, good info to get you started (that is why they are Sticky's.)

2. Mantic’s Videos (all of them) on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2DB6D82F52BA7608

3. Finally, ask us questions, don’t be shy its ok operators are standing by. You have found the A-Team folks! Roll the theme music. The first 2 steps of info are not exact for everyone you will have to find out what works for you hense YMMV.

After your shaves have been mastered then let the SCAD, RAD, SBAD, ASAD begin (Marty will be along shortly to tell you why :biggrin: ).

If you follow the above steps in no time at all you will go from being a noob to an old pro.

Excellent advice Doc!

Marty

Good advice Doc! Do some targets have Tom's of Maine and where would it be located? Or should they have it wherever I seem to see Tom's toothpaste?

M

modern man

Good advice Doc! Do some targets have Tom's of Maine and where would it be located? Or should they have it wherever I seem to see Tom's toothpaste?

My Target doesn’t carry it but many do. (Found it at the supermarket, also some drugstores). Try looking in the shave/spa/or where you find organic products. Any thing you can pick up locally such as Red tube Palmolive, even Williams’s mug soap. Tweezerman brush, etc

Also if you see Kiss My Face (I haven’t used it, YET! but I here good things).

I just wanted a good cheep way to get you guys started

I hate for people to drop hundreds of dollars and find out they don’t like what they have. (Happened to me, Art of Shaving was good stuff but for me not worth the cost when I get great shave/scent form the cheep stuff).

Dont forget to look up free samples (C&E, Baxters, L'O Cade, EShave, Macys, Nordstroms, etc.)

Good stuff Doc - :biggrin:

I'd also add that Mama Bear soaps are cheap and readily available. Lather very well, and for an added treat prime the brush with the Mama Bear then add some Palmolive (or other nice cream).

M

modern man

Good stuff Doc - :biggrin:

I'd also add that Mama Bear soaps are cheap and readily available. Lather very well, and for an added treat prime the brush with the Mama Bear then add some Palmolive (or other nice cream).

That is why I needed your input Joe!

Good advice: stop lurking and start doing. More advice at the link below my signature. And, if I may quote myself:
In a way, the fear that accompanies thinking of your first shave with a safety razor resembles the similar fear that precedes your first kiss with someone on whom you have a great crush. Your mind is filled with everything that can go wrong, but you decide to try it anyway, and you get a kiss in return—and suddenly everything is okay. The fears are revealed to be but phantasms, and they vanish in the pleasure of the experience. Don’t just take my word for it: give it a go.

M

modern man

Good advice: stop lurking and start doing. More advice at the link below my signature. And, if I may quote myself:

Oh sorry I forgot about your blog (I read it a long while ago). Along with Cory Greenburg but I find his to me more of an "advertisement".

If you read it a long while ago, you'll probably find it very different today. It went through a period of almost constant change, though it's now settled down---but still changing some, as I learn or think of new things.

My Target doesn’t carry it but many do. (Found it at the supermarket, also some drugstores). Try looking in the shave/spa/or where you find organic products. Any thing you can pick up locally such as Red tube Palmolive, even Williams’s mug soap. Tweezerman brush, etc

Also if you see Kiss My Face (I haven’t used it, YET! but I here good things).

I just wanted a good cheep way to get you guys started

I hate for people to drop hundreds of dollars and find out they don’t like what they have. (Happened to me, Art of Shaving was good stuff but for me not worth the cost when I get great shave/scent form the cheep stuff).

Dont forget to look up free samples (C&E, Baxters, L'O Cade, EShave, Macys, Nordstroms, etc.)

I have seen some kiss my face products and tom's in wegmans (local Grocery store) But did not notice shave cream, I will look harder and report back!

M

modern man

Make sure you post where you made the score, that way folks in your area know where to go! (I think we have a spot for that on the shave mall forum?)

Top Bottom