What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

I agree with you Kingfisher. I like my Weber, but am still thinking of using xillion's method and painting the handle black. I think I would like these if they were all black though. But of course, YMMV

+1 i have to agree with you, Johnnie, as an all-black razor would be classy!

There are lots of pics of all black "stealth" looking razors....New's, Old types, Techs....they do look kick but in all black.....

For me this process isn't about doing a two tone, or even using a a TTO like the Slim....but a way to "save" a old razor that has plating issues, etc and may increase the performance....

Ifr I was to do it....mine would be all black

Here is a all Black razor..
. $Photo1472.jpg

Here is a decent close up of a tech head.....

$Photo1286.jpg

Another DFS with the LC New to report loaded with the SuperMax SP! This thing is really starting to grow on me (it better! I just picked one up on eBay :) as I've dialed in the correct angle and get a smooth pass each time. The sweet spot on the LC New is pretty easy to hit, as ya'll all suggested. Two passes on both head and face and had very little touch up. I've really concentrated on using NO pressure whatsoever recently and I think it's made a huge difference in my shaves...not just with irritation.

If I could high five you all, I would! :thumbup:

Another DFS with the LC New to report loaded with the SuperMax SP! This thing is really starting to grow on me (it better! I just picked one up on eBay :) as I've dialed in the correct angle and get a smooth pass each time. The sweet spot on the LC New is pretty easy to hit, as ya'll all suggested. Two passes on both head and face and had very little touch up. I've really concentrated on using NO pressure whatsoever recently and I think it's made a huge difference in my shaves...not just with irritation.

*Congratulations on your success with the LC New!

*Wow, Ken, that Tech sure looks cool in black!

Just got my BRW NEW short comb on Bull Mastiff to compliment my BRW NEW long comb on Bull Mastiff XXL Deluxe. Been wanting to try out both the long and short combs and I was finally able to get my hands on another one of Bob's(RIP) fantastic razors.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just got my BRW NEW short comb on Bull Mastiff to compliment my BRW NEW long comb on Bull Mastiff XXL Deluxe. Been wanting to try out both the long and short combs and I was finally able to get my hands on another one of Bob's(RIP) fantastic razors.
proxy.php
proxy.php
Hi CG: U are one lucky man. I hope someone (anyone) will respond 2 my signature and sell me their BRW handle such as a Bull Mastiff. WARHAWK

I did something different with my Gillette New SC. I paired it with a Gold Gillette Tech handle and I had an incredible face shave using my trusty Astra SP blade. I'm really loving my OC shaves. I figured I will OC practice before taking my R41 for its 1st test drive.
$IMG_20120611_124547.jpg$IMG_20120611_124614.jpg

WARHAWK

Wonder if that was done with gun blue or a bluing process. If it was, it's a good job.

There are lots of pics of all black "stealth" looking razors....New's, Old types, Techs....they do look kick but in all black.....

For me this process isn't about doing a two tone, or even using a a TTO like the Slim....but a way to "save" a old razor that has plating issues, etc and may increase the performance....

Ifr I was to do it....mine would be all black

Here is a all Black razor..

Here is a decent close up of a tech head.....

I did something different with my Gillette New SC. I paired it with a Gold Gillette Tech handle and I had an incredible face shave using my trusty Astra SP blade. I'm really loving my OC shaves. I figured I will OC practice before taking my R41 for its 1st test drive.
View attachment 250266View attachment 250267

WARHAWK

I'm really new to the OC world, so I just want clarification: that appears to my untrained eye like a LC...what am I missing?

Guys and gals,

I need to find an inexpensive open comb DE to convert my father with. I pitched the idea of DE shaving to him when we were out getting coals for the grill when we came across some fusion blades and he complained about them being so expensive. I gave him the whole talk of how efficient a DE can be with mowing down a beard so he doesn't have to use a trimmer before shaving and how blades are incredibly expensive and how it can really be good for your skin and it got him interested. An open comb would be perfect for him I think but I only have my Fatip and I have just started using it so I am not willing to separate with it yet and well, it is a bit expensive since I am sort of short on cash so I would want to find the least expensive OC possible! Ebay would work I guess but it would have to be able to ship to Sweden!

Thanks!

Perhaps a modern Merkur OC would be a better starter razor if you want to do an OC with him. The other vintage OC may be too aggressive for starters.

Guys and gals,

I need to find an inexpensive open comb DE to convert my father with. I pitched the idea of DE shaving to him when we were out getting coals for the grill when we came across some fusion blades and he complained about them being so expensive. I gave him the whole talk of how efficient a DE can be with mowing down a beard so he doesn't have to use a trimmer before shaving and how blades are incredibly expensive and how it can really be good for your skin and it got him interested. An open comb would be perfect for him I think but I only have my Fatip and I have just started using it so I am not willing to separate with it yet and well, it is a bit expensive since I am sort of short on cash so I would want to find the least expensive OC possible! Ebay would work I guess but it would have to be able to ship to Sweden!

Thanks!

I'm really glad my NEW has grown on you! Good job on sticking through a few rough shaves!! I'm sure your NEW will give you years of great shaving !

Guys and gals,

Thanks!

If you are looking for a new razor...hard to beat the Merkur 1904 OC...inexpensice and a nice mild razor for those just starting wet shaving! Nice that you are getting your Dad into this hobby!

View attachment 250266View attachment 250267

WARHAWK

I'm really new to the OC world, so I just want clarification: that appears to my untrained eye like a LC...what am I missing?

You are correct...that is a LC NEW.....Mel...nice combo of a LC NEW with the tech handle...one of the coolest frankenrazor combos around!

Top Bottom