What's new

Honey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talal if I may ask, where did you buy your jar of Seashore Honey? Was it in the Toronto area? The website for Société Original seems to be out and I've looked a couple of times...

I like New Mexico Sage Honey and a teaspoon a day helps alleviate my allergies.

"Willow
Sage/Willow
(Plant origin, New Mexico)

One of our lightest, most mild desert honeys the Sage/Willow variety is usually harvested in the fall months in limited extractions. The arroyos are full of desert willow trees and the hills are covered with sage. This is a favorite of local New Mexicans who were fond of the Desert Marigold, also a mild desert honey that has been in very limited production for the last few years. Light enough for green teas and herbals, there is little to no after-taste with Sage honey. Excellent for anyone living in desert regions suffering from allergies."

http://beechamahoney.blogspot.com/p/honey-plants.html

Last edited:
Talal...is that Maritime honey a style where some of the wax is whipped into the honey,then jarred ??...

no no wax in this friend. but it has a touch of salinity that is remarkable... i am terribly addicted to this stuff and the raw spring honey

Talal if I may ask, where did you buy your jar of Seashore Honey? Was it in the Toronto area? The website for Société Original seems to be out and I've looked a couple of times...

There is a location in the kensington market area named 4lifenaturalfoods that stock their products but they are out of this honey at the moment. They should be restocked this month in fact. Id sign up on the societe original website and they will email you as soon as its available.

Myself i buy both those favourite honeys in bulk through their sales department.

They also have a really really nice honeydew , incredibly rare , produced from ants . Such a unique butterscotch like ,called "leffait papillon" french for butterfly effect. Pics of the honey dew are found below. If you are adventurous give it a try.

$9f93aa53f3d6c07b86a09a0cd53316af.jpg
$c8e167adb5e8371a95db9863689a9e5a.jpg

Thanks for the info! Love honey of all different kinds and I really want to try it, finding a really nice cream honey isn't so easy. REALLY want to try the Seashore.

I did indeed sign up for email notification for when they have it back in stock.. but next time I am downtown I'll check out Kensington to see if they have any as well.

Thanks for the info! Love honey of all different kinds and I really want to try it, finding a really nice cream honey isn't so easy. REALLY want to try the Seashore.

I did indeed sign up for email notification for when they have it back in stock.. but next time I am downtown I'll check out Kensington to see if they have any as well.

you will not regret this fine decision. I recommend hunting for the raw spring honey as well.

The kensington market location currently stocks their linden honey, which is a special treat but no where near the other 2 mentioned.

So...the ant "honeydew" is not really a true "honey",as produced by pollen collection.....just as the honey produced by the stingless bee is not a true "honey"...Am I reading this correctly ?

Attachments

• $honey.jpg
    $honey.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 64
its lumped in the same category as honey but technically its not the nectar of a flower or pollen rather that the bee is using to secrete "honey" , its a secretion made by other insects.

you will not regret this fine decision. I recommend hunting for the raw spring honey as well.

The kensington market location currently stocks their linden honey, which is a special treat but no where near the other 2 mentioned.

Do you happen to know if the Seashore/Raw Spring Honeys are quick sellers in Kensington? I know sometimes if a product gets a really good reputation people will grab it all the moment a store is restocked.

Do you happen to know if the Seashore/Raw Spring Honeys are quick sellers in Kensington? I know sometimes if a product gets a really good reputation people will grab it all the moment a store is restocked.

the raw spring honey i ordered privately in bulk from societe .

Seashore hangs around for a week or 2, im pretty sure i buy most of it lol..

the raw spring honey i ordered privately in bulk from societe .

Seashore hangs around for a week or 2, im pretty sure i buy most of it lol..

Haha.. good to know. I'll have to make sure I grab a jar before you are able to get it all. ;)

Talal, if you like Rata honey and seashore honey, you might enjoy Pohutukawa, which is almost identical to Rata, but comes from a coastal species and has higher salinity.

Also, you said in an old post that Manuka is paired with Tea Tree. It is actually a type of 'tea tree' that is native to New Zealand- a leptospermum, not they type of tree you get drinking tea from, which is a species of camelia. Unfortunately there is no standardised way of assessing the level of beneficial compounds in manuka honey, and it varies seasonally, so you need to find a brand you trust and stick with it.

My favourite honey (this might be sacrilege) is local urban honey. The variety of flowers in urban gardens makes the honey extremely complex.

Thanks for starting and sustaining this great thread.

Talal, if you like Rata honey and seashore honey, you might enjoy Pohutukawa, which is almost identical to Rata, but comes from a coastal species and has higher salinity.

Also, you said in an old post that Manuka is paired with Tea Tree. It is actually a type of 'tea tree' that is native to New Zealand- a leptospermum, not they type of tree you get drinking tea from, which is a species of camelia. Unfortunately there is no standardised way of assessing the level of beneficial compounds in manuka honey, and it varies seasonally, so you need to find a brand you trust and stick with it.

My favourite honey (this might be sacrilege) is local urban honey. The variety of flowers in urban gardens makes the honey extremely complex.

Thanks for starting and sustaining this great thread.

Thanks for the recommendation ill check out the phutukawa, never heard of it!

In my old post i said its "twinned" with the tea tree, so i basically meant its a type of one lol. Definately not to be confused with camellia sinensis (tea plant).

my understanding with regards to manuka is you can test its anti bacterial activity to rate it (not at a home level though). But yes i stick with wedderspoon personally i really enjoy their products and quality. alot of other brands are claiming a 30+ rating which for sure does not exist unadulterated in nature.

I find the rata varies more than the manuka personally.

im sure your local urban honey is gorgeous ! :) where are you located? so i can imagine the pollens :D

I'm in a part of Wellington that has native forest (including rata and manuka), overgrown cottage gardens with lots of exotic flowering plants, and backyard fruit trees and vegetable patches. The honey from the neighbour's top bar hive is truly special!

I'm in a part of Wellington that has native forest (including rata and manuka), overgrown cottage gardens with lots of exotic flowering plants, and backyard fruit trees and vegetable patches. The honey from the neighbour's top bar hive is truly special!

that sounds like a truly special treat... if you can ever post a picture please do. id love to see its colour!

One of the pastors at my church has several hives and started making his own last year.

It doesn't seem as sugary sweet as the store bought variety and it has a much smoother finish.

Fabulous stuff.

I hope he pastorises it before he feeds it to small children.

Bad grandad joke. Unpasteurised honey can contain botulism toxins.

One of the pastors at my church has several hives and started making his own last year.

It doesn't seem as sugary sweet as the store bought variety and it has a much smoother finish.

Fabulous stuff.

nice

i personally only consume raw honey. Ayurveda states that cooked honey is considered poison (aka pasteurized).

Nope. Completely raw.

He also participates in a farm coop to buy unpasteurized milk, butter and other dairy products. In the 10 years I've know his family, they've never had any health issues from dairy or honey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom