What's new

Bakelite Open Comb Slant

I can't wait to hear how this one turns out. I got my Neillite 400 in the mail yesterday and shaved with it last night, head and face. Wow! Can you say aggressive? The aggressive side really mows down the hairs.

You are correct on both counts. I figure the sweet irony of an Israeli made blade in a WW2 German razor couldn't be beat.

you are right... I am currently studying German, and would also love the irony of a German razor with an Israeli blade in it... yet for some reason I don't own a single German razor, despite my long term intentions to do just that :001_rolle

I'm very interested to know how it performs... After this week (7 shaves) with the Merkur 45, I'll be loading up my own Bakelite Open Comb Slant.

yep, I got one also. All the hype, I couldn't stand it, I went for the BIN. It does show a lot of blade, doesn't it. Scared the heck out of me, but you only live once or twice. I'll wait till DunEdinRanger updates this tomorrow with his experience - it's his thread - then I'll chip in my experience.

And speaking of chipping in, I had the top piece chip off on the edges (doesn't effect the shave). Bakelite and edges - not the material's strength. I imagine that's why folks like Wardonia made the top out of metal. The combs are pretty sturdy.

-jim

Jim,

I just shaved with it. Two passes, WTG and XTG without any blood. The last pass, on the left side of the neck did result in some blood when I went against the grain. Some tiny weepers that looked like I had been attacked by a small swarm of baby vampires.

However they healed and sealed quickly. Definitely BBS, but the razor is so light it's incredible.

Jim,

I just shaved with it. Two passes, WTG and XTG without any blood. The last pass, on the left side of the neck did result in some blood when I went against the grain. Some tiny weepers that looked like I had been attacked by a small swarm of baby vampires.

However they healed and sealed quickly. Definitely BBS, but the razor is so light it's incredible.

I can't wait to get mine. I have another Bakelite open comb slant, a Fasan, which I think shaves great. I ordered one of these unnamed WW2 razors and it should be coming any day now. The Fasan shows some blade as well, but not nearly as much as this appears to. I discussed it here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155241&highlight=fasan

Jim,

Um, Lou? What was skklog doing in your bathroom? :eek:

Glad to hear you survived with minimal damage. That razor looked darned aggressive.

I can't wait to get mine. I have another Bakelite open comb slant, a Fasan, which I think shaves great. I ordered one of these unnamed WW2 razors and it should be coming any day now. The Fasan shows some blade as well, but not nearly as much as this appears to. I discussed it here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155241&highlight=fasan

I'd be interested to know how they compare. It was your thread that pushed me over the edge about the open comb slant.

The razor is really nothing more than a lightweight shavette on a stick.

Jim,

I have that one also, shaves very well, but like all slants I tried sofar, it is hard on my skin, so i do not use it. The Enigma, also a German razor , but closed comb (the razor I do the testing for Feather, measure of all blades") shows more blade btw :laugh:.

I shave with open combs a lot, so I amuse myself with pretending that I know how to do that. In reality, I have a lot of respect for open combs and pay a lot of attention to angle and go nice and easy. With this razor, I got my usual shave and thought it wasn't as aggressive as the exposed blade would indicate. I've never shaved with as light a razor and that was the huge difference in my experience (I was shaving with a #15 and a senator the last two weeks).

I had to actually apply pressure which I generally studiously avoid. I got a couple of weepers on my neck - usual for me, must be the changing angles - but I did get some razor burn. I probably won't be putting this into my rotation, but I'm glad I have it. It's very unusual because it is all bakelite and I think it's pretty. WWII vintage? As far as I can tell it is bakelite - the hot water test gives off that faint bakelite smell and the 409 test was a bit yellowish.

-jim

I ordered the last one on the buy it now auction. The unique qualities of this razor pulled me in. I will try it out but I am scared of it. I have a few open combs and love them but this will be my first slant.

Used mine today for half the face (the left side). Gave a very nice close shave. Razor is very light. The blade exposure looks a bit extreme, but gave a great close shave, no nicks, no razor burn not bad for less than 21 dollars shipped. Durability of the bakelite looks a little suspect.

Top Bottom