What's new

Thin blue smoke thread- BBQ Summer 2009

Yea, I figured I would try it out and see how it worked first. After all, I bought it so as to not waste my experience.

I just thought these devices are quite cool...apparently you can set up "the stoker" to run on your wireless network and "tweet" updates to its own twitter page that you subscribe to. You can then hit the road and have complete access to your cooker's status via your internet enabled mobile device.

Boy, fire and meat have come a long way!

Yep- that unit is almost double the cost of a DigiQ 2.:w00t:

Lunch!

Brisket Sammi

full

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I know I promised Q'ed chicken with Alabama white sauce, but we ended up spending the entire afternoon at the pool. With no time for proper BBQ, we grilled instead. Once it was done, everybody was starving so there wasn't much time for "after" shots. We had a 2 lb sirloin (prepped by brushing with olive oil, then some thyme, cracked black pepper, white pepper, and kosher salt). The Vidalias & yellow squash also got a little olive oil, salt & pepper, and some herbs de provence; the portobellos had spinach & mozzarella on top.

Did some chicken wings, thighs, and legs on the smoker. A light herb rub and cooked at 240 over a cherry-wood fire. :biggrin:

picture.php

picture.php

Very juicy, didn't need sauce.

Ok, well really the second...I made a chicken last night.

Anyway, when I bought the chicken on Saturday I bought a pork picnic, bone in shoulder, too. Plan was to put do the picnic all day today, Sunday, after an overnight rub.

I put the shoulder on the WSM at 9:00 am with 4 chunks of sassafras wood and a chimney full of Kingsford briquettes. I left at 9:30am for a long training ride with some friends on a team time trial course we are riding next week...the WSM was running dead on 225 when I left.

When I returned at 3:30pm the WSM was at 215 and the picnic at 175. Some family were coming over at 6:30 for dinner so things were dead on.

In the pictures below you might notice the slab of fat missing off the picnic. That occurred because I did not have any bacon or fat back on hand for my collards that I made pursuant to the recipe from this thread. All I did was slice a nice slab of fat off the top of the picnic at about 5:30 and then I followed the directions from the collard thread here....they were totally awesome too!

So, the pig, the collards, a few corn, a mustard bbq sauce and a great bottle of finger lakes riesling and I think you will all excuse me as to why you only got these few pictures!

The WSM is SPECTACULAR, simplicity and perfection...I could not be happier with my purchase.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I had an idea to fix seafood pasta today, but that went out the window when I saw some fresh turkey breasts at the farmer's market.

First I removed the skin and then I cut the breast cutlets off the bone and butterflied them. I chopped fresh sage and garlic and mixed it with butter and S&P and spread it on the butterflied fillets.

proxy.php

I stacked the breast halves together with more of the butter between and then wrapped the skin around them and tied them. I finished with more of the butter on top.

proxy.php

I cooked the roll, indirect, with some cherry and pecan for smoke. I cooked a sweet potato at the same time and then added some corn at the end.

proxy.php

Here is the sliced breast.

proxy.php

Here is the finished product.

proxy.php

Jim, do you bake your own bread? I've already noticed how great your BBQ looks, but the bread in the "brisket sammi" photo looks first rate, too!

Jim, do you bake your own bread? I've already noticed how great your BBQ looks, but the bread in the "brisket sammi" photo looks first rate, too!

Thanks Tom, I am lucky to have some terrific old world bakers near my home.

Ribs for company last night-

full

full

Yep- thats a big tray of Smokey baked beans

full

The most important accessory:tongue_sm

Thanks Tom, I am lucky to have some terrific old world bakers near my home.

Ribs for company last night-

full

Are you bringing these up next week Jim...???

Looks awesome, I swear I can almost smell the goodness....

Hey, anyone have a scratch-n-sniff computer monitor I can borrow....?

Man, how have I missed this thread?!?!?

Great stuff.

I've been using a 22.5" Weber kettle to do slow cooks, Minion and firebricks. Works great.

Did a pork butt yesterday, took about six hours to get it to 195 degrees, used hickory and a spice rub I got out of "Sauces, Rubs and Marinades" by Raichlen...I think it was the KC rub. Day before I smoked some salmon, and we've been making chicken fajitas using the Weber to cook the sliced chicken in a cast iron skillet to get that smoke flavor in the chicken, peppers and onion.

Now my wife will think I'm nuts for taking pictures of food and razors!

You know, I ahve a love hate relationship with this thread + Indulgance of the night thread...I bloody well LOVE seeing these pics, every pic makes me hungry and I can taste it in my mouth, never had that before, Love it

Hate that your all so damned talented and I know for a fact i'd never be able to whip up some of the things you guys make, sure I can cook, I know my way around a kitchen, but nothing like this.

Still approve of all this, keep it up.

I'm not a big fan of beef, and of my two brothers one is vegan and the other only eats chicken breast meat (otherwise he's a veggie).

Anyway, the chicken breast burgers:
Layers are (bottom to top): cheddar, fried mushrooms and onions, chicken breast, cheddar, raw onions.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Back from vacation and I was ready for a home cooked meal. These are some huge Porterhouses. The picture angle doesn't show it, but they are a good 2" thick. Grilled on the Weber and served with elote - Mexican street corn grilled and served with a wicked slather of spicy sauce. The asparagus piece is a joke from the smarmy Mrs. Scotto.

Back from vacation and I was ready for a home cooked meal. These are some huge Porterhouses. The picture angle doesn't show it, but they are a good 2" thick. Grilled on the Weber and served with elote - Mexican street corn grilled and served with a wicked slather of spicy sauce. The asparagus piece is a joke from the smarmy Mrs. Scotto.

That's some great looking Porters. I can smell them in Texas.

Kicking off the new thead for your consideration-

A hi heat Texas style brisket

full

full

full

:001_smile

:drool:

I can see that I'm going to have to make sure I eat before I read this thread, or I'll become hungry!

+1 I'm starving!

I would like to apply for the position of official food critic for this thread. My duties would entail traveling to the homes where these delicious-looking meals are being prepared and sampling the all of the food so I may report back to the board my review of the meal. :biggrin:

If you need a co-critic or someone to shoot the breeze with as you travel from delectable BBQ to delectable BBQ I'd be happy to volunteer! :drool:

My wife and I recently bought a CharBroil Silver Smoker and BBQ. We didn't want to spend too much since we'll probably give it away or donate it when we leave Japan. So far it has been wonderful! I've got my wife hooked on that great smokey flavor! We've used it about 4-5 days a week since we picked it up about a month ago. Tonight, it's beer can chicken!

Rob congratulations!
What do you burn in it? I know bamboo charcoal is available in Japan and a very good heat source.

Top Bottom