What's new

Thin blue smoke thread- BBQ Summer 2009

If I wanted to do a high-temp brisket on the Egg, how high would I go? Should I use the deflector or not?

Will do on the pics.

Scott, I am not an Egg guy, but temps for me is- start at 275 and after 2 hours go to 325. I don't open the smoker door for 6 hours. I use the probe method to test for doneness.

Looking forward to the photos

Thanks Jim. I may give it a shot. At those temps, I shouldn't need the deflector unless I get a gale-force wind blowing up the bottom draft.

Beer can chicken tonight. The wood was mesquite. Served with a pasta salad with pesto, and many gin and tonics. Delicious.

Scotto,
Looks good!
What did you rub that bird with?

It is a "warm spice" blend that works dynamite with this recipe: Chili powder, curry powder, cinnamon, allspice, black pepper. No salt since the bird was brined.

Dinner tonight:

Shake your favorite spice mix on a pork rib roast.

Smoke for an hour, than 1/2 hour at 350 degrees.

Grill some asparagras on the Weber.

Toss a tomato/cucumber salad with a sour cream/vinegar dressing, open a bottle of wine and here you go.

well...as quick as 5 hours can be. I went with sake for a change of pace and it was great. Dry rub on the baby back ribs, hickory wood and briquettes...no sauce at all. The corn was picked today on a farm in upstate New York where my wife and youngest daughter went blueberry picking. Tomorrow morning will be blueberry clafoutis....of course! The peas and zucchini are from the garden.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

2 4lb pork butts. They took a solid 8.5 hours at 230F to get to temperature. They were awesome- this rub iteration worked out most excellently. Smoked, stuffed jalapenos were the appetizer along with some margaritas, and the pork was served with my spicy BBQ sauce, beans off the smoker, and homemade pickles.

Second question, what else can I do with my Weber kettle besides straight up grilling?

I just got a Webber kettle and have been using it to grill, as well as some slow cooking and smoking - I bought a small BBQ thermometer that I let sit in the partially open vent to give me a reasonably accurate sense of temperaure.

Once you experiment a bit, its pretty easy to control the temperature without too much hassle - everything I've cooked on the thing has tasted great.

I've been playing around with charcoals thanks to Jim's prodding. I have been really impressed with Stubb's briquettes, available at Lowes. They smell just like real wood, burn hot and long, and have little ash. I prefer them to the Kingsford Competition briquettes I have been trying as well.

Is there such thing as charcoal acquisition disorder? My garage would say so.... :rolleyes:

I'm a newbie to the charcoal game, but have been very impressed with the Canadian Maple Leaf brand - both lump and all-natural briquettes.

I would like to apply for the position of official food critic for this thread. My duties would entail traveling to the homes where these delicious-looking meals are being prepared and sampling the all of the food so I may report back to the board my review of the meal. :biggrin:

No pics, but I did a tried and true meal on the Weber yesterday. I had about 2 chimney's worth left of briquettes of the Kingsford Competition Charcoal so decided to put half of that to good use. I like this charcoal so far - it seems a bit easier to dial in the temperature than with the hardwood I had been using.

My Weber is the Performance line which uses the camping size propane bottle to start the coals. I like this feature and had huge, white thick smoke bellowing out in short order. After the coals were ready, I banked them on one side of the kettle, put in a drip pan and put in a dry rubbed pork loin at around 450F with the lid vent on the opposite side of the coals. I use the bottom vents to adjust the temperature, starting with them closed and moving toward a little more open as the temp drops. After about 45 minutes, the loin was done (via the leave-in probe thermometer) and then grilled some asparagus up. Combined that with some sauerkraut noodles (a little butter, paprika, cayenne, toast the spices, add sauerkraut, salt, caraway if you like (I do not), mix with egg noodles and a touch more butter if that floats your boat). Goes fantastic with pork. Good dinner!

EDIT - And I got a look at the smoker yesterday. You were correct Jim - An ECB (el cheapo Brinkman).

Ok so the hyper-modified CAB (cheap *** Brinkman) responsible for the last 5 years of my smoker output (some of which has been posted here, the ribs above for instance) self destructed upon cleanup after making those ribs.

I don't have the space, or the spare bucks, for an offset smoker (although Jim's certainly is tempting!) nor do I want to toss all of the amassed knowledge and experience I have gained from producing quality BBQ on a crappy little smoker.

So, I just ordered a Weber Smokey Mountain 18" and an add on stacker as well.

It will be shipped to me by Wed. and as luck will have it so will a new shipment of wood from Chuck's Smokehouse.

I am taking suggestions for what to cook on Saturday...I'm thinking brisket, but only if I can get a whole one. Anyway, let me know.

The Weber SM is a best of class unit.
If you have been getting those results with a Brinkman then you are going to be over the moon with your Weber, congratulations on your score.

The Weber SM is a best of class unit.
If you have been getting those results with a Brinkman then you are going to be over the moon with your Weber, congratulations on your score.

Thanks...Jim, do you know anything about the BBQ Guru and if it is worthwhile on a WSM? I would love the convenience of a fan drive temp. control, but I think it might be overkill.

Thanks...Jim, do you know anything about the BBQ Guru and if it is worthwhile on a WSM? I would love the convenience of a fan drive temp. control, but I think it might be overkill.

They work and men do use them, for a digiQ 2 its another 250 bucks to lay out.

If you are running one WSM and are not doing comps I would say no, you don't "Need it" It does work well though.
You will have MUCH more control with the Weber than the Brinkman so if nothing else you could make friends with your new unit and revisit it in time. There is a pretty active community at the http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ forum.

I have a WSM clone and devised a grease trap and deflector for it, I also dropped the water in the pan and filled it with lava rocks with good results.

Pick up a water heater blanket for when the weather turns colder.

Ok so the hyper-modified CAB (cheap *** Brinkman) responsible for the last 5 years of my smoker output (some of which has been posted here, the ribs above for instance) self destructed upon cleanup after making those ribs.

I don't have the space, or the spare bucks, for an offset smoker (although Jim's certainly is tempting!) nor do I want to toss all of the amassed knowledge and experience I have gained from producing quality BBQ on a crappy little smoker.

So, I just ordered a Weber Smokey Mountain 18" and an add on stacker as well.

It will be shipped to me by Wed. and as luck will have it so will a new shipment of wood from Chuck's Smokehouse.

I am taking suggestions for what to cook on Saturday...I'm thinking brisket, but only if I can get a whole one. Anyway, let me know.

Ribs are pretty foolproof. Don't be scared away from smaller briskets, either. Even 3-4 pounders smoke up nicely; you don't have to go nuts.

Congrats on the new smoker!!

They work and men do use them, for a digiQ 2 its another 250 bucks to lay out.

If you are running one WSM and are not doing comps I would say no, you don't "Need it" It does work well though.
You will have MUCH more control with the Weber than the Brinkman so if nothing else you could make friends with your new unit and revisit it in time. There is a pretty active community at the http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ forum.

I have a WSM clone and devised a grease trap and deflector for it, I also dropped the water in the pan and filled it with lava rocks with good results.

Pick up a water heater blanket for when the weather turns colder.

Yea, I figured I would try it out and see how it worked first. After all, I bought it so as to not waste my experience.

I just thought these devices are quite cool...apparently you can set up "the stoker" to run on your wireless network and "tweet" updates to its own twitter page that you subscribe to. You can then hit the road and have complete access to your cooker's status via your internet enabled mobile device.

Boy, fire and meat have come a long way!

Top Bottom