What's new

tuckaway price

What is the usual price range for a tuckaway, with and without the case?
I am considering buying one but don't know what to pay (if it's too high, I'll give up on the idea).

It used to be common to get those things for $20. They sell on the board here for around $40 to $70. I have seen people trying to sell these on the Bay for well over a hundred dollars, sometimes approaching $200. That is a bit crazy for one of those razors. So you see there is a pretty wide spread on the prices.

Note that finding a good deal on one of these on Ebay or around here will be tough. These still can be found in antique shops, estate sales, etc. and you could get one at a nice price looking that way.

The best thing you can do is search through BST and on Ebay Completed listing to get an idea for the range - what price and what condition. Once you feel comfortable you have seen enough transactions to know what a reasonable deal is be ready to pounce on the next deal that comes up. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
So I have a silver tuckaway I wanna sell actually. Just the tuckaway, no case. If it had a good case, it would certainly be something like near-mint for the set. A January 1920 patent. Any idea on how much I should sell this for?

So I have a silver tuckaway I wanna sell actually. Just the tuckaway, no case. If it had a good case, it would certainly be something like near-mint for the set. A January 1920 patent. Any idea on how much I should sell this for?

that's a New Improved, right?

condition? are the teeth straight? is the ubiquitous hairline crack in the handle there?

silver Tuckaways seem to be less common than gold; NEWs (Norfolks) less common than New Improveds.

They are fantastic shavers!

I think you should sell it to me for $10.

Establish a new going rate.

Prove you are no slave to convention.

Seriously: I second the notion that you search dbay and B/S/T for the going rate. You are asking for price advice from potential buyers (and sales competitors).... Don't know how objective we (ok, I) can be... any price I would suggest should be ignored.

If you list it on dbay the market will sort it out; if you sell on B/S/T, please be generous to your colleagues!

The going rate? $200 and want to buy one of mine? Oh wait, you want to sell one? Then the going rate is $10 and I'll be happy to oblige.:tongue:

Seriously, the numbers posted by Scoopster are spot on. Silver is a bit more rare and if there is no hairline crack in the handle that bumps it up. Razor alone would be worth about $20 to 25 in my opinion. I love these little razors.

From the BST, the prices are about 35-60ish with the case, so I assume about 50-60% of the price for the razor only.
I wont go to the e-bay "buy now" prices, cause they're unrational.:thumbdown

Hahahahaha! I know you're interested. I'm gonna think about it a bit and make you an offer on monday or tuesday. ;)

I got the tuckaway:smile: Man, it's a heavy little razor!
could someone tell me something about mine?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Plating and period?

Thanks!

I know the page, but I dont get it how the numbers work. 18(or B)6331A
That would be 1921/22?:confused1

Last edited:
I know the page, but I dont get it how the numbers work. 18(or B)6331A
That would be 1921/22?:confused1

From the Geocities date coding page, it sounds like yours is a 1921.

The Tuckaways are great little razors. With the case, they're great travel razors. I have one with a silver-plated box and razor (engraved) and gently used. A couple of the nickel-plated and one gold-plated razor (the box looks goldish, but I don't think it is gold-plated).

Glad to hear you picked it up. They are fantastic razors. Here are some of my Tuckaway style razors... :wink:

proxy.php

Top Bottom