What's new

Pipe suggestions

I was hoping some of you experience pipe enthusiasts could point me in the right direction. I'd like to give pipe smoking a try, but have no idea where to begin in selecting a first pipe. Anybody have a suggestion? Also, where can I go online to find some samples of decent tobacco? Nothing exotic and ridiculously expensive, but not dirt cheap stuff either. Thanks in advance!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Prince Albert and a corn cob pipe. For less than $10 you are good to go to try it out. Lots of people have cobs to try out new blends before smoking them in a briar.

Thanks Commander Quan. Makes a lot of sense. Is just any corn cob pipe good enough, or does someone make one that will be a little better?

Commander Quan

Yeah they are all pretty basic, if you have a tobacco shop near you stop in and see what they have. It'll probably be a Missouri Meerschaum and they have a couple different styles so just see what you like. If the shop has bulk tobacco ask to sniff some of the blends and buy an once of one or two that you like.

Commander Quan

You will want something to tamp the tobacco down with, anything that is flat will work the tamp tools are nice but you can use anything. A tamp tool is $3 so it's no big deal and get a pack of pipe cleaners while your at it.

Missouri Meerschaum is indeed a good pipe but remember to take out that damn wax paper, cardboard filter thing and chunk it as far as you can. I myself fancy four digit Kaywoodies. Like collecting old razors, these pipes often need some work but once restored, they seem grateful for their second chance and give you great smokes forever. Four digit Kaywoodies are all made before 1938

pipe cleaners are your best friend you can never have to many a few extra tamp tools are nice if your pinched for cash nail heads work wonders too. there are alot of decent pipes out there savenelli makes great mid range pipes meerchaum are nice smokers too and don't require a cool down how ever they are delicate pipes and if you drop it on any thing hard you will more than likely break it i would expect to spend anywhere from 30 to 70 bucks for a lower range pipe but once broken in they can be excelent smokers, packing a pipe is an art form too when it comes to keeping one lit but anyways i have a few corn cobs they taste kick butt if you have a brick and morter shop near you most will have nice aromatic and english blends for fairly cheep i'm not to keen on the drugstore tobbaccos so to speek also brick and morter shops can put you on the right path to being the affecianato you know you want to be any questions pm me and i will be glad to help the best i can..

Welcome JohnYaddy to the wonderful world of Pipes;

First let me warn you that pipe smoking and wet shaving have a lot in common:mellow:. Prep, technic and Equipment are the keys to proper pipe smoking:biggrin: as the are with shaving. You will fine many great sources of Info on the WEB. I've been smoking a pipe of and on for over Thirty years and have over 200 pipes in my collection. I can tell you that two things will have to be broke in before you can really enjoy your pipe. Your mouth (tongue burn) and your new pipe (pipe char build up). Your mouth must get use to the heat and Alkaline of burning pipe tobacco. Your wood pipe must have a char build up before you can get a cool dry smoke. If you can get over these two hurdles the whole world of pipe tobaccos will open up to you.
enjoy....

A Hopper

and another thing pipes are as varried as the tobacco you can smoke in them pick them up feel the heft and imagine yourself with it cause if you don't like the pipe you more than likely wont be smoking it and some pipes are heaver/lighter on the jaw pending on heft wether it is straight or bent are somethings to consider when buying a pipe aestetics are alot and i would start off with a fairly inexpensive pipe to see if you like it or not, then if you do you can invest in some of the nicer ones imho

I really appreciate all the help I've gotten. Tomorrow I'll run down to the local tobacconist for a cob pipe and some Prince Albert (trying my best to not let them talk me into more.) But please do keep suggestions coming. Obviously, if I enjoy it as much as I do wetshaving, I'll be moving up to a briar pipe soon, and looking for more tobacco to try as well.

What's your handle on tobaccoreviews.com?

I've found it helpful in my search for new pipe tobaccos. I found the key is to find a reviewer with my personal likes and dis-likes (tastes) and follow their lead. It saves time and money.

Tobacco and pipes are selected with personal preferences in mind. Somewhat like testing Shaving Creams and Soaps or even DE razor blades. I use the B & B and the TSD reviews when trying new wet shaving items and Tobaccoreviews.com for pipe tobacco:biggrin:.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've found it helpful in my search for new pipe tobaccos. I found the key is to find a reviewer with my personal likes and dis-likes (tastes) and follow their lead. It saves time and money.

Tobacco and pipes are selected with personal preferences in mind. Somewhat like testing Shaving Creams and Soaps or even DE razor blades. I use the B & B and the TSD reviews when trying new wet shaving items and Tobaccoreviews.com for pipe tobacco:biggrin:.

I meant what is your user name on tobaccoreviews?

Sorry Ouch;

I misread your question. I've been a lurker for three years on Tobaccoreviews.com. I have never posted on it. If I did it would be under the handle Darth.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I did several reviews years ago under Lois Kelly to mixed feedback.

Top Bottom