What's new

Superspeed compared to HD

Hi all,

I've been shaving with a Merkur HD for around a year (my first DE razor!) and have got to the stage where BBS with no irritation or nicks happens 4 out of 5 shaves.

I recently got a Gillette Superspeed (Flare-tip), which is supposed to be a very mild razor.

Well, my first shave with a Feather (which I use all the time with the HD) was terrible - multiple nicks, irritation and not even a very close shave. I was rather disappointed.

I chucked the blade (to be safe), and tried a few days later with a Crystal. Much better, however BBS took many more passes and touch ups than with my HD.

So - was the bad shave with the Feather due to a bad blade? Or having to master a new blade angle? I was using TOBS Almond which I've used before, but I was at my parents' house, so maybe my lather was off too? Different water and all that.... the second shave I was using Mama Bears.

I really want to like the Superspeed, but it does seem to take much longer to shave with.

Shall I stick it out a while longer?

John

Hi John.
The HD seems to work fine for you and maby you are just lucky to have got the right razor in the first attempt? I know that a lot of people really like their Super Speeds and that's fine - for them - and maybe your shaves will improve when you get used to the SS and another angle.
For my skin and beard the HD is better than the SS no matter how much the SS is appreciated by others. The Merkur delivers and simply gets the work done smoothly and effectively. My five cents.
Regards
cop

I have and use both with Derby blades. I do not get as close a shave with either of the razors when I have used Feathers. Feathers work best for me in my adjustables. I get very good shaves with both the Merkur and SS with a slight edge to the SS primarily I think because I enjoy using the SS more.

Hi all,

I've been shaving with a Merkur HD for around a year (my first DE razor!) and have got to the stage where BBS with no irritation or nicks happens 4 out of 5 shaves.

I recently got a Gillette Superspeed (Flare-tip), which is supposed to be a very mild razor.

Well, my first shave with a Feather (which I use all the time with the HD) was terrible - multiple nicks, irritation and not even a very close shave. I was rather disappointed.

I chucked the blade (to be safe), and tried a few days later with a Crystal. Much better, however BBS took many more passes and touch ups than with my HD.

So - was the bad shave with the Feather due to a bad blade? Or having to master a new blade angle? I was using TOBS Almond which I've used before, but I was at my parents' house, so maybe my lather was off too? Different water and all that.... the second shave I was using Mama Bears.

I really want to like the Superspeed, but it does seem to take much longer to shave with.

John

I think a lot of the differing experiences with these razors has to do with adjusting to the different angles/techniques they require. I had a period of time that I solely used the SS, and got great results. However, I switched from my Merkur to an SS last week, and got a terrible shave. Obviously, it will take you time to adjust, and learn the particulars of each razor.

However, I have been getting smoother shaves with my Merkur Classic lately.

Hi all,

John

"Multiple nicks, irritation and not even a very close shave" are all signs of an incorrect shave technique. I'm not saying you necessarily have a bad technique in general, but a perfect technique with the HD would, and does not, work with a Super Speed. Or for that matter, with any one of dozens of other razors. Each model of razor has its own idiosyncrasies which have to be elarned and accounted for to get the most out of each of them. I suggest you be patient and learn the Super Speed before laying down any judgment. You may very well discover that it exceeds the performance of your trusty HD.

Im a vintage DE guy and I love SS.However I have used the HD for a couple days now and Im really impress with it.I also have to say that my fav. SS are the pre date code or english Rockets.I find the SS flare tip not as good as the others(specially if I compare it to my Rocket).
Try at least a couple days more with the SS and if you can get a SS pre date code dont hesitate it and go for it.You will love it.

"Multiple nicks, irritation and not even a very close shave" are all signs of an incorrect shave technique. I'm not saying you necessarily have a bad technique in general, but a perfect technique with the HD would, and does not, work with a Super Speed. Or for that matter, with any one of dozens of other razors. Each model of razor has its own idiosyncrasies which have to be elarned and accounted for to get the most out of each of them. I suggest you be patient and learn the Super Speed before laying down any judgment. You may very well discover that it exceeds the performance of your trusty HD.

Agreed! Different years all have a different feel to them; be it weight, balance, or handle length. And if you don't mind me asking, whats the date code on your flair tip?

My own personal experience was to start with an HD, (and a Futur and a Vision....I bought them all at the same time), and after a couple of weeks of poor shaves and lost blood I put them away and went back to my Mach 3. After around 6 months I thought I'd try again so I bought a Gillette Rocket, and then a SuperSpeed and used those for a couple of months before adding a Fatboy and #66. I started getting excellent shaves every time, no cuts, no missed spots, just perfect. Then I tried the HD again on a lark, and found that I could get great shaves with that too. Moral of the story: I needed to learn proper technique first before I got the best out of these fine razors and it took me longer than it should have :001_rolle Now I pay careful, relaxed attention to the angle and noise of the blade all the time. :lol:
BTW, I was using Feathers from the beginning and wouldn't trade them for any other blade. Just my 2 cents

Agreed! Different years all have a different feel to them; be it weight, balance, or handle length. And if you don't mind me asking, whats the date code on your flair tip?

I'm not sure - I've looked underneath the head but can't see anything obvious apart from Made in USA! There's some other stuff but seems to have worn off or covered in limescale.

I had a similar issue. My first shave with the Flaretip SS and a Feather was a disaster. Previous to this, I had used HDs and 38c's with good results. The problem was blade angle. The HD uses a steeper angle (handle closer to skin) than the SS.

While you are learning, try an IP to clean-up your angle. To make matters worse, the later Flaretips have a different angle than the earlier Flaretips and 40's style SS's.

Top Bottom