What's new

Feedback please!

I want to be able to do everything from setting a bevel on an ebay special to maintaining my own rotation. But I have no mentors other than you guys. Please feel free to offer any comments.

The hardware consists of Nortons in 220, 1000, 4000 and 8000; a Chinese 12K and a pasted strop with 1 micron diamond paste on one side and 0.5 CrOx. I also sometimes finish on high-ink newspaper backed by a flat, smooth particleboard, which I understand has a grit of about 0.1 micron. All the stones have been lapped flat on safety glass. I understand the paste should have a grit of approx. 15K, and the CrOX about 30K. I have a good linen/latigo 3" strop.

Am I covered? Any additional hones needed, assuming I use the ones I have properly?

My procedure when a blade starts to lose its edge or I get one from the factory or something in obviously good shape is to go very conservatively -- maybe start with 50/100 on the strop and test shave. If that doesn't work, maybe 5-10 passes on the 8000, 100 on the 12K, and then15 on both the diamond and the CrOx, strop and shave. I haven't had to go deeper than that down the grit ladder, but if I ever have to I suppose I'd do a conservative pyramid or two on the 4000/8000, then repeat the above sequence. Does this sound reasonable?

I realize that setting a bevel is a much more individualistic, adjust-as-you-go process, so I won't get into that.

I know there are hundreds of other variables involving technique, checking for double bevels, not overpasting the paddle, not rolling when stropping, etc., etc., but assuming I get all that right (or at least removing it from the equation for now), (1) do I have the right weapons in hand, and (2) is my strategy for new/slightly dulling razors (which will be 90% of what I do) seem sound to you?

All comments appreciated. Love to hear from the masters.

Looks like you're pretty well set there, buddy. You might want a 500 or 600 diamond stone to save yourself some elbow grease on the 1000 when establishing a bevel, but that's most certainly optional.

Edit to add: I'm not a honemeister by any stretch of the imagination. I've just been establishing very sharp edges on tools of all types, including industrial razors, for most of my adult life. Can you shave with them, probably. Do you want to, probably not. In short, take my advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
sounds like youre set

(though if the blade is just getting a little dull from regular use theres no need to hit the 8k. throw a few on the 12k and/or pastes and you'll be in business.

remember that practice makes perfect, get your hands one some junk blades and play around with them. the more warped, chipped and munted the better for practice, really.

Am I covered? Any additional hones needed, assuming I use the ones I have properly

I realize that setting a bevel is a much more individualistic, adjust-as-you-go process, so I won't get into that.

What you have is enough ? of course you can use what you have and put a nice edge to the blade.Now this will be enough of course not it will never will be enough doesn't matter what you have.
You will look for something better for final finish stone or faster bevel setter and so on so on.
Now Please don't accept number of stroke on particular stone etc as you mention above it depends individualistic adjust as you go use this every where.
start from bevel setting until you end.
i hope you get this part.
Good luck and enjoy.

Top Bottom