What's new

How many shaves do you get from Derbys?

I get one - if I try to wring a second shave out of the wretched thing I usually nick myself leaning on the razor trying to get it to cut my stubble.
That does not stop the Derby being my usual blade though - the one shave I get is quite smooth.

Cordially. AvT.

I put one in about 3 weeks ago and it isn't dull yet. Of course I use a str8 almost exclusively, so the DE blades last FOREVER.

Wow, I was amazed reading this thread, I go a full 7 shaves (1 per day) so 1 week before changing and I'm fine on my last day. I've always been lucky that I didn't have a heavy beard but I'm amazed that most folks have to change in 5 or less days.

I don't understand it. I have a fast growing, thick beard. I have gotten as many as 9 shaves out of Derby. I now go 6 shaves, or 1 week before changing a blade. They are not bad shaves either, but I did notice that after 6 it takes longer to get a DFS or BBS.

I've found if I go three pass (WXA-TG) to get BBS, the blades don't last as long. If I just stick with 1WTG 1XTG i get eaisly get 3 from each side. IOW a week.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I would imagine after 20 or 30 shaves a Derby would feel just as bad as the first, for me. I have given up on these blades long ago. They are fine for WTG, but I just can't get good results when shaving ATG with them.

proxy.php

three:smile:

So the Derbys are a great blade and give much closer shaves than the Murkers but I am only getting two shaves per Derby blade.....is this normal??
I get two shaves per blade. Sometimes three. But I always toss all blades after two shaves (except Astras), so . . . two shaves.

The price you pay for a better shave is decreased blade life.

And is it possible that the reason you were not getting great shaves from the Merkur blade is that you were using them too long?

As always, YMMV.

I have been giving Derbys a go as well. I have a Red Tip SS. Do you use one side one day and the other side the next or do you switch the blade around according to the number on the edge. For eaxmple (1) on Monday (2) on Tuesday (3) Wednesday (4) Thursday?

This continues to float around, but it was answered in this post:

Derby Numbers from Naci

Also, Derby's are my favorite blade, and I get 3-5 days of two-pass shaving with them before I change blades.

I get 5.

I could probably get 7 shaves out of a blade since I only do three passes. The 6th and 7th shaves are not that comfortable or close as the first five, unless I do extra passes and thereby increase the likelyhood of irritation.

Derby's are the only blade I use right now.

I have 3 nice shaves and then replace the blade. With the price of blades relatively low, it doesn't make sense to me to have to replace a blade in the middle of a shave because it is pulling.

I would get 3 - 5 depending on the blade, but now I use feathers exclusively and get the most shaves ever 18 to be exact in my slants 10 - 12 in my gillettes!

Cheers,

Top Bottom