What's new

Speakeasy Acquisitions - February 09

So I am standing in the scotch aisle of my local liquor store and I am looking at this particular bottle and wondering if I should buy it. I looked on my left shoulder and there is Bob O. standing there saying: "Go ahead. Buy it. It's unbelieveable. You won't regret it."

Then I looked on my right shoulder and there is TimmyBoston and he's saying: "What the hell you looking at me for? This is the best scotch on the planet!"

The next thing I knew this bottle was on the passenger seat of my car (with its seat belt on of course) taking the ride to my house. Thanks to Bob O. and Tim for their assistance. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Well at least you listened to us. :tongue_sm

Enjoy and let us know your thoughts. :biggrin:

Boli PC, Ramon Allones Specially Selected, Partagas Serie D No 4. :thumbup:

proxy.php

Eggselent!

So I am standing in the scotch aisle of my local liquor store and I am looking at this particular bottle and wondering if I should buy it. I looked on my left shoulder and there is Bob O. standing there saying: "Go ahead. Buy it. It's unbelieveable. You won't regret it."

Then I looked on my right shoulder and there is TimmyBoston and he's saying: "What the hell you looking at me for? This is the best scotch on the planet!"

The next thing I knew this bottle was on the passenger seat of my car (with its seat belt on of course) taking the ride to my house. Thanks to Bob O. and Tim for their assistance. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pat's in this group too, look at all the people he's manipulated, um, I mean helped with the Spirit of the Month. :biggrin:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Thanks to Pat and to Ethereal Pat as well. I only had two shoulders. :wink::

This is a scotch that can sell itself. Yeah, it's that good. :yesnod:

This is a scotch that can sell itself. Yeah, it's that good. :yesnod:

I can't say enough good things about HP18, but probably the biggest complement I can give it is that even on my paltry graduate student salary, I felt completely justified spending about $100 for this single bottle of liquor.

I scored a beautiful Davek umbrella and a pair of Band of Outsiders x Sperry Topsider Boots.

Not to mention my first bottle of single malt scotch (glendiffich 12) and my first six pack of the new IPA from Sierra Nevada.

Bob, I've always liked the look of those, but the fact that it doesn't lock worries me. How do you like it?

I have only had it for a day, but so far I really like it. The ergos are similar to the Caly 3, which I love, but the absence of liners means it is lighter. The choil is also a bit deeper which is nice. To be honest, I am not really worried about the lack of a lock. I believe it takes 20lbs of pressure to begin to close it, and because your finger is in the choil area, it will just pinch and not slam shut. For most of your edc tasks, I don't think that would ever come into play anyway. You also have to be realistic in what you expect of it. If your knife sees constant hard use, I wouldn't suggest this as a solution. For normal tasks, I think it's a great option. :thumbup1:

Now the only question is do I want an Orange one as well or an Orange Urban with the Wharncliffe blade.

Balvenie Sherry Oak 17yr that I am saving for a special occasion, Balvenie New Oak 17yr and some Grey Goose (somehow I have gotten into vodka martinis lately) ...

and could someone please explain the enthusiasm for pocket knives shared on this site? I'm now hooked on shaving but fear there is another acquisition addiction lurking in my midst so I just want to understand it and nip it in the bud if i can!

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a bottle of Highland park 12 and the Jewel of Russia vodka. I highly recommend The Jewel of Russia vodka. It is the smoothest vodka I have ever had.

Balvenie Sherry Oak 17yr that I am saving for a special occasion, Balvenie New Oak 17yr and some Grey Goose (somehow I have gotten into vodka martinis lately) ...

and could someone please explain the enthusiasm for pocket knives shared on this site? I'm now hooked on shaving but fear there is another acquisition addiction lurking in my midst so I just want to understand it and nip it in the bud if i can!

The Balvenie 17 year Sherry Oak is nice, I haven't tried the New Oak yet. Let us know your thoughts.

With regards to your knife question, not sure what you are talking about, but this just came in the mail. :biggrin:

proxy.php

The Balvenie 17 year Sherry Oak is nice, I haven't tried the New Oak yet. Let us know your thoughts.

With regards to your knife question, not sure what you are talking about, but this just came in the mail. :biggrin:

proxy.php

The Balvenie New Oak was nice but I found it lacked character. I guess that's the whole point of a virgin scotch but maybe it's just not my thing. It is really clean tasting with very little depth in the aftertaste. I found it to be much like a Canadian rye like Crown Royal - which is brillient, but in terms of a scotch, not what I was after. Balvenie Double Wood is my go-to scotch, I'm glad I tried the New Oak - it was interesting - but I'm happy to save the money and go back to the Double.

I still don't get the knife thing. I read 300+ posts in a thread today and fell in love with the aesthetics and purposeful designs of many of the knives, but I just can't see much need for carrying one. I would still like to get enlightened on that ...

I still don't get the knife thing. I read 300+ posts in a thread today and fell in love with the aesthetics and purposeful designs of many of the knives, but I just can't see much need for carrying one. I would still like to get enlightened on that ...

They're just useful. Yesterday, I opened 3 packages and broke down the boxes, cut up an apple and opened some toys for my daughter. Could you survive without one...of course. However it's nice to just have one with you for tasks that present themselves. :001_smile

^^^^^^^ damn, a solid answer.

I think I .... I feel a bug ... dote, it just bit me!!

* goes to Bass Pro to check out the knife selection *

Top Bottom