What's new

Tip for Washing out Murry's Pomade

Cheap shampoo with plenty of detergents in it and less "hair fixin' stuff" to get the Murrays out. Usually one pass does it, but when I wanna get my hair fully wax free I give it however many it takes.

The detergents will do a number, so I follow with a conditioner designed for use right after heavy bleaching.

Ok, now this thread has really gotten me interested as I like the greasy look, but simultaneously want something that can be washed out with ease - if such a product exists.

Royal Crown, Dax and Black & White have piqued my interest.

Which one's the greasiest; which one's the easiest to get out?

Any other recommendations?

I haven't tried Black and White or Dax. Royal Crown is just about like Vaseline. Not really any easier to wash out than any other grease. You may want to try Layrite. It dries stiffer than a normal pomade but washes out easily like other hair products.

None of these 3 are really easy to get out- probably Black and White is easiest: Quick run down on these 3.

Royal Crown- DEFINITELY the GREASIEST by far. Contains, Petrolatum, Olive Oil and Fragrance thats it, light hold.

Black and White- Contains Petrolatum, Parrafin wax, zinc oxide and has a fragrance that smells like coconuts- light hold, pretty good shine.

Dax- have only used Dax in the red can, hardest to get out of your hair-holds like Murrays, more a wax- will not have a real greasy shine.

None of these were designed to be easily washed out of your hair.

You will want something water based for that- Layrite, Sweet Georgia Brown-purple tin... 360 etc....

If you use royal crown you need to keep a a good grease cutting soap around for your hands- it is best used as a top coat to give alot of shine- it can get all over everything if you use to much.. but it does give the best shine/sheen. I once got caught in a downpour with this stuff in my hair and the water just shed right of my hair like a ducks back- a quick run of the comb and my hair was just as greasy.

Ok, now this thread has really gotten me interested as I like the greasy look, but simultaneously want something that can be washed out with ease - if such a product exists.

Royal Crown, Dax and Black & White have piqued my interest.

Which one's the greasiest; which one's the easiest to get out?

Any other recommendations?

I got a tip from an old-school barber that seems to work pretty well. He said that using straight shampoo on your hair without wetting it first will get out most any kind of grease. It makes a tight thick lather as shampoos do have a little water in them. You just work that in good, then gradually add more water and rinse it out. It can be done in the shower or over the sink - the key is just to be sure you don't wet your hair first. I've tried this method several times and it always works but I've probably never used as much stuff as some of you guys have. This sounds much less harsh than some of the other methods described.

I got a tip from an old-school barber that seems to work pretty well. He said that using straight shampoo on your hair without wetting it first will get out most any kind of grease. It makes a tight thick lather as shampoos do have a little water in them. You just work that in good, then gradually add more water and rinse it out. It can be done in the shower or over the sink - the key is just to be sure you don't wet your hair first. I've tried this method several times and it always works but I've probably never used as much stuff as some of you guys have. This sounds much less harsh than some of the other methods described.

Yep, it is a good tip indeed, I do this sometimes when I don't have alot of pomade in the hair and it works fine, other times I use olive oil or conditioner 1st on dry hair and get even better results.

I've always used baking soda (a small bit) mixed with my shampoo, about twice a week to ensure it all gets washed out.

I've been using Brylcreme now so it isn't an issue.

None of these 3 are really easy to get out- probably Black and White is easiest: Quick run down on these 3.

Royal Crown- DEFINITELY the GREASIEST by far. Contains, Petrolatum, Olive Oil and Fragrance thats it, light hold.

Black and White- Contains Petrolatum, Parrafin wax, zinc oxide and has a fragrance that smells like coconuts- light hold, pretty good shine.

Dax- have only used Dax in the red can, hardest to get out of your hair-holds like Murrays, more a wax- will not have a real greasy shine.

You will want something water based for that- Layrite, Sweet Georgia Brown-purple tin... 360 etc....

If you use royal crown you need to keep a a good grease cutting soap around for your hands- it is best used as a top coat to give alot of shine- it can get all over everything if you use to much.. but it does give the best shine/sheen. I once got caught in a downpour with this stuff in my hair and the water just shed right of my hair like a ducks back- a quick run of the comb and my hair was just as greasy.

i've never tried 360, does it hold as well as layrite?

I do , I do.................and I did. Got me some of the Extra hold Pomade and a bottle of the No. 9 AS.

Great stuff

I've been using the extra hold, it is great stuff, but I have to use alot and go thru it quickly and it's a bit expensive. But it sure does wash out easily and holds great. BTW Rick, got the Voodoo Brew in the mail today, I'll send you a PM later today.

+1 on the duck's back! Got caught in a downpour myownself in Anaheim earlier this month. Arrived at the show, straight to the men's room. Coiffed with a small pocket comb and ready to roll to the next meeting while chaps with gel based "do's" were lookin' darn messy that morning...

*Check my posts for an excellent Murray's/Vitapointe recipe...

Top Bottom