What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

I've been reaching for my Benchmade 330s a lot lately. Google returned a representitive pic:

proxy.php

Nothing fancy, but an everyday workhorse that I feel naked without.

Victorinox Swiss Army "Executive" with Photon Micro-Light

proxy.php

I figure a knife is pointless [edit: haha, I just realized how punny I am] if you can't get to it quickly. That's why I carry a Spyderco Endura, although I suppose any of their others would do well, especially the Delica if you wanted something smaller.

Personally, I use the combo blade in ZDP-189 steel which *REQUIRES* a diamond sharpener. The VG-10 steel would work better if you want to quickly sharpen on a steel, though.

In fact, I've heard some very nice things about Byrd knives--they're the Chinese branch of Spyderco, and the knives feel almost identical in their respective models, at about half the cost.

proxy.php

I recently got myself a Wenger SI. A great, compact but strong knife. I also recently got a Case Physician's knife to use as a pipe knife. That's worked out well also. And of course a SAK classic (mostly for the scissors).

Not a good idea to carry a knife in Melbourne Australia right now. As a response to an escalating rate of knife crime in Victoria, the State government has just introduced ‘on the spot’ fines of Aus$1,000 for anyone carrying a knife on the street. I think the fine rises to $2,000 if the weapon is detected ‘near licensed premises’ which in Melbourne means just about anywhere in the city. The local ‘wallopers’ are now carrying metal detectors and conducting random stops and searches on anyone who they think may be offending. We are having a State election in November. ‘Our party is tougher on street crime than your party’ seems to be the mantra. I used to carry a Swiss Army 'all the bells and whistles' knife but it was confiscated by over zealous Saudi Arabian airport security police. I can only hope his son enjoyed using it!

Last edited:
I figure a knife is pointless [edit: haha, I just realized how punny I am] if you can't get to it quickly. That's why I carry a Spyderco Endura, although I suppose any of their others would do well, especially the Delica if you wanted something smaller.

Personally, I use the combo blade in ZDP-189 steel which *REQUIRES* a diamond sharpener. The VG-10 steel would work better if you want to quickly sharpen on a steel, though.

In fact, I've heard some very nice things about Byrd knives--they're the Chinese branch of Spyderco, and the knives feel almost identical in their respective models, at about half the cost.

proxy.php

Gotta love the Spydercos!

I have a handful of pocketknives, several Spydercos, a Benchmade Mini Grip, and an old Boker from my father. But day in and day out I find myself reaching more often for a SAK alox Cadet. Useful features in a very pocket friendly profile - holds a decent edge, is workplace friendly and I won't cry buckets if I lose it.

I carried a Spyderco Sage 2 titanium for awhile and it was just a bit too big, too heavy and too attention grabbing at the office each day - and too valuable to use as a weekend utility knife. Around the house on the weekends I mostly carry a Spyderco Native FRN or the Mini Grip.

In fact I need to pare down the collection a bit as there are a few that just aren't getting used. I would like to add a nicer slipjoint (stockman or the like) to the daily rotation.

I'm a little partial to SAK's - one of my, I guess you would call it KAD?

proxy.php

At the office I generally carry a SAK Hiker and on the weekends or around the house I carry a Spyderco Mini-Manix (with the clip I polished).

proxy.php

I've been carrying a Xikar knife quite a bit lately. I searched the web and this is the closest I can find to it. The steel takes an absolutely wicked sharp edge off wet stones and really holds it well.

proxy.php

I have a ton of knives in my collection. However, the two that I regularly carry are a Wrangler Stockman Stag and a hand-made Texas toothpick with turquoise scales (made by a Cherokee man here in VA). The Wranger is an awesome knife. I use to carry a Schrade, and the Wrangler holds an edge much better. The Texas toothpick has a blade of Solingen steel and it also stays razor sharp.

I'm a butcher, so I'm pretty picky about knife sharpness. There's nothing worse than trying to use a dull knife. In case you're wondering, I use Victorinox cimeter, breaking, and boning knives at work.

I've always got a gerber paraframe 1 black/serrated in my pocket, unless I have reason to expect I'll set off a metal detector or get frisked. It fits nicely in the watch pocket of jeans, with the thumb-post and clip exposed.

It's a regular stainless blade, so not super-sharp, but for opening boxes and chewing through the occasional plastic box it's just fine.
proxy.php

Either a leatherman skeletool CX or a Kabar tactical tanto (the 5.4" version)

Okay, so the kabar doesn't fit in my pocket, but it looks dandy on a belt clip.

I have 3 that are currently in the rotation and one that is out of commission which is a Kershaw Blackout. The Torsion bar went on it and I need to replace it. The current ones that make the cut are a Benchmade Griptillian, A Benchmade Mini-Grip, and an Emerson Combat Karambit. The Mini Grip being the most common.

Top Bottom