What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

Ontario Rat 1. Picked this low-priced, high value knife up a couple of months ago, and I carry more often than any of my others. It's on the larger side and built like a tank, so if you require small and lightweight, in a carry piece, this ain't it. ��

I have a CRKT Wrinkle 2 on the way. It's a Ken Onion design, gets decent reviews. It looks like it'll be a bit easier to pocket than my Buck 500 Duke. I will post more once it arrives and I've spent some time with it.

My favorite uncle:

$Uncle Henry1.jpg

I've been a Case man for most of my adult life. I've carried the Copper Lock for 10 plus years and still love it. I have however found that the Kershaw Skyline is quickly becoming a favorite. I've been carrying it for the past year or so and it is wonderful. Skinny enough to drop in your pocket, but it has a clip if you want. Takes an edge and holds it for quite a while.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have however found that the Kershaw Skyline is quickly becoming a favorite. I've been carrying it for the past year or so and it is wonderful. Skinny enough to drop in your pocket, but it has a clip if you want. Takes an edge and holds it for quite a while.

I just got a Skyline for Xmas, and can agree it's a nice knife. If you like that, look also at the Spyderco Dragonfly 2; I have one of those as well, and it does an even better job of tucking into a pocket unnoticed, has a clip too, and a great blade (and lots of colour choices too.)

I used to carry larger knives, but for now, I've settled on the Spyderco Manbug in G10. Easy to use one handed and fits in that little "pocket inside the pocket" thing on your jeans. Most of the time for EDC, you just need something sharp to cut a piece of thread or open packaging. This does the trick!

In my bag, I usually have an Opinel in case I need to cut my food. I like eating steak with my Opinel :)

$2017-01-18 18.48.10.jpg

Usually I have a Buck 505, less its wood, that someone left on the office couch one day. Probable owner's dad, a senior partner, said to keep it. On weekends, I carry the no-longer-available RSK Mk1 from Benchmade.

Leatherman Skeletool most days, the knife is sharp and handy but surprising how often I use the other tools (4 screwdriver bits, pliers, wire cutters, bottle opener etc). Held up very well so far these last 2 years or so

I have a CRKT Wrinkle 2 on the way. It's a Ken Onion design, gets decent reviews. It looks like it'll be a bit easier to pocket than my Buck 500 Duke. I will post more once it arrives and I've spent some time with it.

So I've carried the Wrinkle 2 for a while now, and here are my impressions.

The knife is well-made. It feels solid and functions as it should. The knife has a clip, and I usually carry it on my waist at 2 o'clock (in the hollow between hip and belly) and it carries well -- I often forget I even have it, but it's easy to deploy when needed. It isn't a switchblade, but it snaps open quickly.

The blade has a nice curve to it, which gives it some decent cutting power for a small knife (3" blade). The blade came very sharp, and I haven't found a need to sharpen it yet. The steel seems to be of good quality for stainless.

Some have complained about the handle material being slippery. It's anodized aluminum, and as the name implies there is a wrinkled texture. I have had no issues with the handle becoming slippery.

My only criticism is the color of the handle. It's brown. The color along with the wrinkled texture gives it the appearance of a turd. No, literally. It's not regularly visible because it sits inside my waistband, but that also means it's warm when I handle it, which is an odd sensation on a knife that looks like a turd. On the good side, the knife has an organic look to it, with rounded shapes, so there's no "borrowed machismo" by handling a knife that looks like something cooked up on the set of Rambo. Perhaps CRKT would do well to change the color, though. Blue? Green?

Compared to my Buck 500 it's easier to carry and less "offensive" to my office mates, so I find I'm using the Buck when I hike but not at work. I'd rate the Wrinkle about the same overall as the Kershaw Corral Creek sheepsfoot for office/warehouse duty. The Buck is still the nicest overall, but I prefer classic designs.

Top Bottom