Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a scale

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Images

Default I need a scale

I received some sample Haiwan mini tuos with my last order. These things are supposed to be 5g, but they look really small compared to the amount of leaf I'm accustomed to using. I think I've been using an amount equal to about three of these.

I'm going to have to do things a bit more scientifically in the future. Anyone try these?
    Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I will be watching this thread, I have used kitchen scales up to now but I think they may be a little less than accurate considering how composted some of my shu has been tasting recently.
    I sedederserve to lose some man points

Richie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    I received some sample Haiwan mini tuos with my last order. These things are supposed to be 5g, but they look really small compared to the amount of leaf I'm accustomed to using. I think I've been using an amount equal to about three of these.

I'm going to have to do things a bit more scientifically in the future. Anyone try these?
    Send it to me, I can weigh it to the nearest 0.00000 grams.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by superbleu View Post
    Send it to me, I can weigh it to the nearest 0.00000 grams.
    No thanks. I already fell for that when Nick said he could tell me how much I had left in my bottle of cognac.
    Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Being a science teacher, I have access to a number of electronic scales. They are quite handy to have so I have one at home as well. I use exactly 35g of coffee each day, I record the mass of my pet birds, I use to accurately weigh out servings, etc... Much better than the typical kitchen spring scale.

But then again, I have walked into a hobby store carrying electronic balances and calipers because I am on the search for very specific density balsa wood for aircraft....
    ~Justin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a matter of mass comparison, a sheet of typical printer paper has a mass of about 4.6g,
    ~Justin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Try picking up a scale used for ammunition reloading. Something like this. You can get them on the bay for pretty cheap. (manual scales are cheaper than the digital ones). They measure in grains rather than grams, but it is easy enough to convert (5 grams = 77 grains). They will be a lot more accurate than any kitchen scale for small weights.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Etoyoc_Rebmos View Post
    Being a science teacher, I have access to a number of electronic scales. They are quite handy to have so I have one at home as well. I use exactly 35g of coffee each day, I record the mass of my pet birds, I use to accurately weigh out servings, etc...
    So when you use the bathroom at somber coyote's house, remember to get a receipt.

Thanks, Doug Adams!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

As a matter of mass comparison, a sheet of typical printer paper has a mass of about 4.6g,
    and, IIRC, a small (standard office sized) paperclip weighs just under 1g.
    -- Richard, Czar of Cheddar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I record the mass of my pet birds, I use to accurately weigh out servings, etc... Much better than the typical kitchen spring scale.
    To clarify... I do not use the pet birds as servings.. That should have been two sentences. I measure the birds to keep track of their health. I measure my food servings to help me keep my health. I know.. it is anal, but having lost 100 pounds, I will be anal.

BTW: Thanks ouch, I didn't know I was worried about the combined erosional effects of space travelers. Maybe I should be looking at some of the other recent threads...
    ~Justin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

For cooking a proper scale is a necessity I have bought a couple scales from http://www.balances.com/
    Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I have used this for a couple of years and it works really well. Does volume and fine measuring with great accuracy. I have been weighing 4-7 gram units for my tea and a typical 250 gram amount for coffee roasting. Ted O'Pudgini also had some good things to say about it as I recall.

http://www.myweigh.com/scales/medium...00h-ecoplastic

-Scott
    Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Images

Hey Jay. I remembered the girls over on "the whisk"(soapers forum) highly recommending the My Weigh scales. They all bought most of their stuff from either http://www.affordablescales.com/
    or http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

I will warn you now, the choices are staggering. I think the model the soapers used the most was the My Weigh KD600. This will do either lbs or grams and it will do quite a lot of weight too. I think the calibration is good enough to weigh down to fractions of grams and it has a tare feature. I like a tare feature on a scale. You add your measuring vessel and hit tare. The scale re zeros and you keep adding ingredients or whatever and hit tare each time. Nice way to get exact measurements when baking. Plus one on gun powder scales too if you are doing only finely measured items. Those scales are VERY exacting.

Regards, Todd
    Cheers, Todd

New Golden Age Pomader

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But then again, I have walked into a hobby store carrying electronic balances and calipers because I am on the search for very specific density balsa wood for aircraft....
    Cool! I walk into backpacking supply places with a scale, too, being a backpacking gram-weenie.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Images

Default I need a scale

no you don't

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Proinsias View Post
    no you don't
    I think you're right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    So when you use the bathroom at somber coyote's house, remember to get a receipt.

Thanks, Doug Adams!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you want cheap, try those shops where people sell ...cough... grass... cough, smoking accessories. They probably have balances designed for that range.
    Shaving goo and cartridges free since July 2008... except that one time at the smelter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've used 50g and 100g escali Liberta models happily enough.
    Bought some glass petri dishes on the 'bay to keep the tea from running all over the place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cybrok View Post
    If you want cheap, try those shops where people sell ...cough... grass... cough, smoking accessories. They probably have balances designed for that range.
    I forgot where I packed mine....

Hey, it was 30 years ago....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast