Russell's Reserve Rye
Angosta Bitters
Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
Noilly Prat Sweet Vermouth
Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage Port 2001
Valley of The Moon Pinot Noir '06

Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
Noilly Prat Sweet Vermouth

I'm guessing the sweet was for your Manhattans -- I'd strongly recommend Cinzano above Noilly Prat, if its available. Noilly Prat dry vermouth is superb almost universally preferred in Martinis, but its the only traditional member of their product line and their other varieties have only come out recently after their purchase by M&R.

Something in me always wants to keep my French vermouths (French being the general term for white dry vermouth) and Italian vermouth (the corresponding term for red sweet vermouth) correct vis-a-vis their countries of origin. Still, as objectively as I can, I think the Cinzano tastes much better than Noilly red in a Manhattan. Kudos for not picking up the standard M&R or Gallo crap most supermarkets stock. That stuff's only okay to cook with so long as no one sees it. :lol:

I'm guessing the sweet was for your Manhattans -- I'd strongly recommend Cinzano above Noilly Prat, if its available. Noilly Prat dry vermouth is superb almost universally preferred in Martinis, but its the only traditional member of their product line and their other varieties have only come out recently after their purchase by M&R.

Something in me always wants to keep my French vermouths (French being the general term for white dry vermouth) and Italian vermouth (the corresponding term for red sweet vermouth) correct vis-a-vis their countries of origin. Still, as objectively as I can, I think the Cinzano tastes much better than Noilly red in a Manhattan. Kudos for not picking up the standard M&R or Gallo crap most supermarkets stock. That stuff's only okay to cook with so long as no one sees it. :lol:

Yeah, I realized I should have done more research on the vermouths when I got there. There was quite a selection and I new about the dry Noilly Prat so thought the sweet would be ok as well. It's alright, but I think I'll be picking up another bottle next time I'm there.

Oh, the Valley of the Moon was terrible. First bottled was corked. Second wasn't but was almost as bad.

Fairly disappointed in the Taylor's LBV.

I'd strongly recommend Cinzano above Noilly Prat, if its available.

I agree here. I bought my first bottle of Cinzano a month or so ago, and it's much better than any other sweet vermouth, Noilly included, that I've tried. I still like Noilly's dry vermouth the best though.

Top Bottom