What's new

Neck issues

Hi there,
Long time B&B reader, mainly lurking. New to the DE world - not so new to wetshaving. I've got:

64-65 Gillette SS
Derby blades (right now), got the sampler pack

I'm 3 shaves in on DE. First shave was about 3 WTG passes only - not very close, and some bad cuts. Second I got ballsy and went XTG and ATG, loads of cuts on the neck and irritation there - but much closer. This time I went WTG and XTG only - about 3 passes. Closer than my first shave, but still not even close to where I want to be. Very rough face. Still 3-4 cuts on the lower neck area with irritation. I'm sure it is a blade angle issue there - but any tips? I really want to stick with this, as the price of blades for cartridges appalls me.

Let your beard grow out a little and verify the "grain" or direction of hair growth. To avoid irritation it is important to perform the reduction passes first WTG. This is not necessarily always North to South. Use no additional pressure other than the weight of the razor. Start with the razor close to level with the floor, and slowly rotate it downward until the blade just starts to cut hair. This should be the correct blade angle. Remember that you have to modify the handle angle to keep the blade the same angle to your skin as the razor moves across the contours of your face. Try to get the "Feel" of the blade.

Sometimes short strokes are better, especially when you feel the razor pull a little. When it does pull, stop, and start the stroke over. Read tutorials in this forum for more details.

I had problems like that at first also. Besides angle I also found that I wasn't making good enough lather. Even though I thought I had good lather I didn't and that basically let to bad shaves including cuts and irritation. Make sure your lather is the correct conistency.

Welcome,

first take a day or two off and let your neck and face heal that is important now until your skin gets adjusted and you get your technique down.

if your coming from cartridge shaving there is a tendency to use too much pressure and not the correct angle, read this thread it may help, besides as others suggested working on your lather just don't give up and or make too many changes then next thing you know you will be getting great shaves

Top Bottom