What's new

Backpack

My car died on me when I was visiting a buddy in another city. Being short on cash, we ended up breaking the engine down in the parking lot using borrowed airplane tools.

The point? Those borrowed tools came in a Targus backpack. I'd never heard of the brand, but that thing was damn near indestructible. It had way over 50 pounds of sharp objects jammed into every nook and cranny, but it had no holes, tears, or rips. It was covered in grime, but every zipper worked perfectly. I bought my own as soon as I saw them for sale. It's the laptop version, and it's served me well on a number of trips.

I carry my laptop to and from work in my Arcteryx Arro 22 and occasionally use it for short hike. It is very well constructed. I really recommend it!

proxy.php

Only problem is the black Adidas sports backpack I have only really looks good if you are about 15 (coincidentally I got it when I was 15) and the fact that it has just about fallen apart makes me look even worse. So I want to find a high quality backpack I can use on a day to day basis that doesn't look like a schoolkid gave it to me.

Any suggestions?

If price is no object, I recommend--without any reservations--Mystery Ranch packs. I own two, plus a pack that Dana Gleason's old employer, Dana Design, manufactured before he left to form Mystery Ranch. My Dana pack is over ten years old, and it shows some wear, but it's as functional as on day one. I haven't begun to test the limits of my Mystery Ranch packs.

Depending on your load-bearing needs, I'd recommend a "3 Day Assault Pack", Sweetpea or a Snapdragon. These all cost over USD$200. Sticker shock? Yes. Worth it? Yep, that too.

For more modest prices, my wife loves her Osprey pack, and I like their designs (I just didn't buy one) too. I also have used Gregory packs through the years and they never let me down.

All of these are likely to be slightly more load-bearing capacity than you need in a city. If that's the case, consider a Timbuk2 bag. Their laptop bag that converts from a backpack to a messenger bag is neat, and well designed.

Hope this helps stoke your ideas. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask specific questions.

I love my Dakine 101. It has a pocket that goes against your back that is handy for passports and other important documents. It may not be a totally mature look, but it is really a fantastic pack. Dakine makes a lot of other really great packs too.

How about a kifaru, nylon, they last forerever with very heavy duty construction, custom made to your measurements.
lifetime warranty.
kifaru.net
Not much more then many of the other military/hunting type packs, but much better built. Having it built to fit is a huge advantage I think.
especially if you're a tall skinny guy like me:)
I've got a MMR as my hiking pack, it's taken up to 100lbs without a complaint(can't say the same for me:))

To give you a bit of a back ground of where I am coming from…

1) I don’t have a car. Anywhere I need to go I can get to on my bike, if it is farther than that, Japan's mass transit system will get me there for less than gas prices.

2) I go to a lot of cool places with the Navy and make it a point to get myself off the beaten path whenever on shore leave.

3) I <3 hiking

4) I hate suitcases and prefer mobility over quantity of stuff.

My requirements for a bag was one roomy enough for commuting, a day out exploring the city, weekend at a friend&#8217;s place, living out of a hotel room/hostel/rental car for a few days, or a couple days of wilderness adventure should the opportunity arise. At the same time, had to tuck into a gym locker and not feel like a cavernous Sea Bag with a single t-shirt in it.

That being said nods certainly should be given to The North Face, Arcteryx, Osprey, Kelty, Gregory, and La Fuma. All of these companies make great bags that will get the job done exceptionally well. Lightweight, hard wearing, travel tested, and a variety of options in sizes, uses, and prices.

For my daily use I have a day pack from K2, I feel this company is definitely worth a mention. I have taken it everywhere from home, work, Mt. Kinabalu, and the Tongariro Crossing. The only problem is I bought the bag in South Korea from a K2 outlet store and cant find anything about there outdoor/non-ski & snowboard line in the US.

With this bag, I would make a mention that it has made me a believer in rain flys (some bags have one built in and tucked in a little pouch along the bottom of the pack). While I have yet to have anything get wet with the fly off in a light rain, there is a certain piece of mind that with it on I have had everything come out dry after getting stuck out in a monsoon in Malaysia.

A kifaru should do nicely. I love the Navigator (4000 cubic inches of storage) and the Zulu (2800 cubic inches of storage). If you need more storage, add a pod or two. Great packs and sounds like one of their selection should fit your needs nicely. They are not cheap, but for what they are the price is reasonable. Be ready to drop at least $300 - $400 on one of these. They are worth it. Hands down the best pack I've ever carried. Beats the heck out of the ALICE for most environments short of the jungle.

Arcteryx make the best bags but a little pricey. I have a minor fetish with their coats(have 5).

Osprey are good too.

I usually just buy them in the summer time when they are last years model and about half off. Although still expensive!

I bicycle to work and use a backpack to cary a change of clothes and shaving gear. I use this one because it's highly visible and very roomy. Keeps my gear dry in the rain too. The Visi-Bag biker bag. . The hi-vis flaps over and you can tuck the shoulder slings into pockets on the sides. You can carry it like a long canvas briefcase by handles on the top.
Ernest

Top Bottom