What's new

The horror...

So, I've got a shedding problem. My 18 monthish old pre-Vulfix Simpson X2L has been shedding, on average, one to two hairs per shave for the last few months. I always thought that amount was acceptable, if not desirable. The original shop I bought it from didn't have any old X2Ls in stock, so they gave me two options - exchange it for a similar priced NOS pre-Vulfix Simpson, or exchange it for a Vulfix X2L or the nearest equivalent. I didn't like any of the NOS Simpsons (either way too big, way too small or just didn't feel right) and, given it's a pre-Vulfix, I decided to decline both offers and just put up with losing a hair or two with every shave, safe in the knowledge I at least had an original Simpson and it was my favourite brush by far.

Got to this morning's shave, which was very much routine, and there was the obligatory couple of hairs left in the sink. But then I start shaking the water out of the brush and notice there's another one sticking out. And then another, and another, and another until I pulled ten loose hairs out of the knot. 10! :frown: Original Simpson or not, this was unacceptable. So, at lunchtime today, I went to the same vendor (they're just round the corner from work) with brush in hand hoping that, in the few weeks that had passed since I first raised the problem with them, they would have some different NOS Simpsons in. They didn't, so I chose a nice looking and feeling Vulfix alternative. Only now the vendor tell me that, for one reason or another, they cannot exchange the brush for another one, nor can they give me a cash refund as I didn't have my receipt.:mad: I didn't have time to get into an arguement over it, so decided to contact Vulfix direct.

I've fired off an e-mail to the general Vulfix address on the website and hope for some sort of response - I know that both the Simpsons of yore and Vulfix with their own brushes replace like for like without hinderance, but I'm not sure how pre-Vulfix Simpsons will be handled. Fingers crossed.

So, I've got a shedding problem. My 18 monthish old pre-Vulfix Simpson X2L has been shedding, on average, one to two hairs per shave for the last few months. I always thought that amount was acceptable, if not desirable. The original shop I bought it from didn't have any old X2Ls in stock, so they gave me two options - exchange it for a similar priced NOS pre-Vulfix Simpson, or exchange it for a Vulfix X2L or the nearest equivalent. I didn't like any of the NOS Simpsons (either way too big, way too small or just didn't feel right) and, given it's a pre-Vulfix, I decided to decline both offers and just put up with losing a hair or two with every shave, safe in the knowledge I at least had an original Simpson and it was my favourite brush by far.

Got to this morning's shave, which was very much routine, and there was the obligatory couple of hairs left in the sink. But then I start shaking the water out of the brush and notice there's another one sticking out. And then another, and another, and another until I pulled ten loose hairs out of the knot. 10! :frown: Original Simpson or not, this was unacceptable. So, at lunchtime today, I went to the same vendor (they're just round the corner from work) with brush in hand hoping that, in the few weeks that had passed since I first raised the problem with them, they would have some different NOS Simpsons in. They didn't, so I chose a nice looking and feeling Vulfix alternative. Only now the vendor tell me that, for one reason or another, they cannot exchange the brush for another one, nor can they give me a cash refund as I didn't have my receipt.:mad: I didn't have time to get into an arguement over it, so decided to contact Vulfix direct.

I've fired off an e-mail to the general Vulfix address on the website and hope for some sort of response - I know that both the Simpsons of yore and Vulfix with their own brushes replace like for like without hinderance, but I'm not sure how pre-Vulfix Simpsons will be handled. Fingers crossed.

Would you mind me asking the name of the shop that apparently has 'NOS Simpsons'? I'm on a mission to locate a pre-vulvix Chubby 1 or 2?

It is an indie chemist in Bath, the name of which I can't remember now - it's the name of the original pharmacist (Hawes, or something). But I can set your mind at ease/affirm your disappointment - I've only ever seen one group of Chubbies in there (1s, 2s and 3s) some time ago and they all went in no time, literally within days. They tended to stock the less popular ones, hence my X2L.

The only NOS Simpsons they've got now are the oversized, undersized and "cheapo" (ie expensive pure brushes), and they're increasingly smaller in number. No Dukes, Polos or Tulips in the NOS range.

Thanks for that. It seems my search continues. In the meantime, the very best of luck with your own problems. It seems to me that the new firm would wish to establish their credentials as to good customer relations, so I imagine they will sort something out.

Thanks, and with yours too, but have you considered a Vulfix-Simpson Chubby? From what I've seen and heard, the Vulfix made Simpsons are just as good (some say even better) than the originals.

That's what I've heard! But I'd welcome the opportunity to compare the two personally. And, besides, I'm an old-fashioned boy at heart, and would like to have an example of another bit of England that's no longer here.

Received my replacement X2L from Vulfix yesterday. If you have a shedding pre-Vulfix Simpson, or are in the market to buy a new Vulfix made Simpson but aren't convinced, then let me say that any concerns anyone has got are totally unfounded - the new X2L has exceeded my expectations in every way. The brush feels denser (even than it did pre-shedding), the knot tighter and the hairs of a slightly better quality. It looks, feels, lathers and performs better than my original Simpson did. That's two Vulfix made Simpsons I own now (the other being a basic pure) and both are incredibly good brushes.

Also, Vulfix customer service has been top notch - no qualms with replacing it, good communication and a swift resolution to the problem brush. I have gone back to Vulfix to ask if there are any clues as to why the original X2L was shedding, so I'll wait to see what they say and report back.

Top Bottom