What's new

Lighters vs Matches...What's your pick?

I prefer Matches (strike on box, wood matches) to Lighters, partly because of the scent it gives off, and the limited time it gives you to light coal or tobacco. However if I had a choice between the match leaf or lighter, I'd pick the lighter as I am just not a big fan of those popular 2 dimensional looking match sticks. They are cheap and just horrible to use.

There you have it...so what's your preference, and why?

I prefer Matches (strike on box, wood matches) to Lighters, partly because of the scent it gives off, and the limited time it gives you to light coal or tobacco. However if I had a choice between the match leaf or lighter, I'd pick the lighter as I am just not a big fan of those popular 2 dimensional looking match sticks. They are cheap and just horrible to use.

There you have it...so what's your preference, and why?

I use a torch lighter to light my cigars. 2400 degrees F and no bad taste.

I like the Z-plus insert by Blazer. Fits in the Zippo case of your choice, works like a torch and is really inexpensive.

proxy.php

For my cigars, it's been my tried and true $3.00 Ronson JetLite torch lighter. For my pipe, I've been using a soft flame butane lighter, but coincidentally just today picked up some Diamond strike anywhere wooden matches (a huge brick for $0.89...couldn't resist) for my pipe. Something about the pipe just calls out for a match.

I use a long lighter for lighting my grill and when I smoked a pipe, I used a very nice brass Zippo Pipe lighter like this one:

proxy.php

That's a really cool design. I'm curious to know if the Zippo fuel lent any funky flavors or aromas to the tobacco.

I don't like Zippos for pipes. They destroy the taste of the tobacco and definitely give it a funky taste, IMO. For me, it's matches for pipes and a Zippo or the Ronson you mentioned (love it, and beats the hell out of any Colibri I've ever owned) for cigs.

I used to carry a Zippo everywhere until they were banned by the TSA.

I do like the smell of freshly struck matches (I doubt it's good for your brain cells) but I also like the smell of Zippo Lighter Fluid. The flame is nice and ribbon-like and although this may sound juvenile, there are a dozen cool tricks you can do to open and light the Zippo.

I don't smoke, except for the occasional cigar (where I prefer to use cedar planks), but fire comes in pretty handy.
-\Visdom

Various Xikars for me. You can't beat the warranty. I also have a nice Lotus that is my primary lighter and about half a dozen Ronsons strategically placed in my truck, my wifes car, my wifes purse, my desk, and two in my humi accessory tray.

I will only use torch lighters on my cigars.

DL

Go with a classic:

When I smoked a pipe, it was always wooden matches - really liked the Swans.

Matches are also the best for cigars - but the torch lighters, if used carefully are pretty good.

That's a really cool design. I'm curious to know if the Zippo fuel lent any funky flavors or aromas to the tobacco.

Yup - Zippos suck for pipes and I don't particularly like them for cigars as they impart a bad flavour. However, they're just great for ciggies and for lighting the ciggie of the girl next to you at the bar.

Yup - Zippos suck for pipes and I don't particularly like them for cigars as they impart a bad flavour. However, they're just great for ciggies and for lighting the ciggie of the girl next to you at the bar.

Totally agree. Unless I can't help it, I always use my Zippo to light my cigs. And I actually like the flavour it adds.

I have a sterling silver lighter case with zippo insert from the 40's stamped case of a very detailed and inlaid garuda and indian designs. I like using it because at high speeds i can still light my cig or on the deck of a cruise ship gets mighty windy. its also cheapeer than a bic. I do however when smoking cigar's use matches as i love the scent and to watch the flame go crazy as im lighting it.

Swan vestas for pipe, and lighting the bbq, and really anything. If I am out Hiking I carry a windproof torch lighter in my emergency bag

but coincidentally just today picked up some Diamond strike anywhere wooden matches (a huge brick for $0.89...couldn't resist) for my pipe.

Where on earth did you find strike-anywhere matches?!?! I've been looking for them for the past year, and they seem to have gone extinct in the legal furor about kids making pipe bombs and such. I have to keeps empty miniature matchboxes scattered around the house just to make sure I have someplace to strike a match when I need to!

back in the 80's i used a device called -the plastic match.it was a plastic block about the size of a match box with a flint embedded down the long side of the block.a steel and brass rod with a wick inserted in it.the rod screwed into the plastic block which contained cotton which was saturated with lighter fluid.unscrew the rod and strike the rod along the flint,then light your cigarette.
it got lost years ago and i wish i could find another one to carry hunting as it was pretty much waterproof.

Where on earth did you find strike-anywhere matches?!?! I've been looking for them for the past year, and they seem to have gone extinct in the legal furor about kids making pipe bombs and such. I have to keeps empty miniature matchboxes scattered around the house just to make sure I have someplace to strike a match when I need to!

To be honest, I was just as surprised to have found them. I found them at our local Mom&Pop grocery store here in my tiny little Western Wisconsin college town.

Top Bottom