What's new

Speakeasy Spirit of the Month: September 08 - Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Excellent gents! We're really looking forward to reading your opinions.

I'll admit that although I wouldn't ever adulterate a scotch with water or ice, in the past I've preferred my bourbons on the rocks. Rare Breed is probably the first bourbon that I prefer neat.

Thank you, Castlecraver, Timmy, and anyone else involved in this brilliant pick! It's been many years since I've had even a taste of bourbon, since I got into Scotch. Tonight, I had my first sip of this stuff, and it's great. Smooth, complex, sophisticated, and strong. Like me. Also like Mrs. Jazzman.:biggrin:

I'm looking forward to a great deal of research into the neat vs. a couple drops of water vs. more water. I've begun to study the implications, and it seems to make a big difference.

I'll add that I think it's an excellent pick myself. I have not dabbled in the bourbon world much, so this is my first real bottle purchase. I'm quite pleased. The nose is wonderful, even so much that my wife commented on it. She usually turns her nose up at anything scotch/tequilla I bring home, but really likes the way the Rare Breed smells. She wouldn't taste it, though. For being as strong as it is, it's surprisingly smooth. I drink it neat, no ice. It's one strong bourbon, but I really like it. Also, and this probably depends on trying more variety, but I think I may be more a bourbon guy than a scotch guy.

For being as strong as it is, it's surprisingly smooth.

That may just be the bottom line for Rare Breed. And I totally agree. I'm curious to know how the gents who've tried other top-shelf, higher/barrel proof bourbons would rate it. Taipei Personality: would you care to compare the flavor with some of the other brands you listed?

Oh, and glad 'ya like it John!

Taipei Personality: would you care to compare the flavor with some of the other brands you listed?

My palate is, alas, quite unrefined. I know what I like, but have difficulty verbalizing why I like it. To me Wild Turkey Rare Breed's best quality is its smoothness, which I define as lack of bite, harshness, or burn.

The flavors are very interesting as well. To me it tends to tones of butterscotch, corn syrup, and caramel, but without the inherent sweetness of those flavors. I am a fairly new bourbon drinker, usually preferring scotch, so please keep in mind that the corn to peat/barley comparison is what jumps out to me. Bourbon tasted sweet to me, in comparison to scotch, when I first started but that has lessened somewhat.

Gentleman Jack approaches the smoothness of WTRB but doesn't quite hit the mark. Knob Creek wasn't bad and Woodford Reserve was the harshest of the four. It's especially interesting to me that both Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve were both recommended to me as far and away better than WTRB, but neither were to me. Woodford Reserve, especially, was particularly biting with an almost antiseptic, tannin taste.

I have almost finished my bottle of Gentleman Jack and, when I do, it will be back to the store for a bottle of WTRB, never to depart. Well, maybe I could try a bottle of . . .

hey Taipei,
Don't shortchange yourself. I pretty much agree with your assessments - especially about Woodford. And even if someone doesn't agree, trusting your senses over marketing hype or other's opinions is never wrong.

I hope you continue to post your impressions. They ring true to me.

Roger

That may just be the bottom line for Rare Breed. And I totally agree. I'm curious to know how the gents who've tried other top-shelf, higher/barrel proof bourbons would rate it. Taipei Personality: would you care to compare the flavor with some of the other brands you listed?

Oh, and glad 'ya like it John!

Pat, you really want to step up, pick up a bottle of George T. Stagg it's about twice as much as the Rare Breed, but it ranges from 130-140 proof and is astoundingly smooth, it's one of the finest whiskeys you can buy.

hey Taipei,
Don't shortchange yourself. I pretty much agree with your assessments - especially about Woodford. And even if someone doesn't agree, trusting your senses over marketing hype or other's opinions is never wrong.

I hope you continue to post your impressions. They ring true to me.

Roger

Thank you, Roger, I will. I live in a state with an ABC system, so my choices are very limited. In fact, the only reason I was even able to get Gentleman Jack is that I'm retired military and found it in a Class VI store. It's pretty frustrating seeing all of the other brands people are trying and not being able to join in. I'm making a list, though. :001_smile

Phil

Well no luck in finding it at my nearby liquor stores. I will make a trip to BevMo around the 14th and pick some up. I look forward to joining you soon.

Pat, you really want to step up, pick up a bottle of George T. Stagg it's about twice as much as the Rare Breed, but it ranges from 130-140 proof and is astoundingly smooth, it's one of the finest whiskeys you can buy.

Any other suggestions in the $30-$40 range?

Any other suggestions in the $30-$40 range?

Try the new kid on the block in California:
Four Roses Single Barrel

More finesse than Stagg, Rare Breed or Grand Dad 114
And the way Four Roses runs things, it may not be very far off of barrel proof.

Roger

Try the new kid on the block in California:
Four Roses Single Barrel

More finesse than Stagg, Rare Breed or Grand Dad 114
And the way Four Roses runs things, it may not be very far off of barrel proof.

Roger

Where would I find it?

Where would I find it?

Well,
I don't go down to Southern California commonly, but here are two well known places to buy Four Roses Single Barrel:

Hi Times in Costa Mesa
Bevmo is all over the frickin' place down there, apparently.

Any really good liquor store in SoCal should be featuring it. It's selected for "mellow moments" and should be friendly to Scotch drinkers.

Roger

Tried it yesterday. Great nose for a bourbon. Very strong but suprisingly smooth and no burn. Much more complicated than my usual bourbon which is Maker's Mark. I would also say this approached some of the scotches I tried in complexion. Not sweet, some tobacco, very smooth. I need a few more tries to characterize it better. I tried it neat and in my Reidel scotch glass.

Dennis

I know K&L Wines is carrying it now up here. Ordering from Binnys is always an option from the internet.

Something totally different, but around $40, I would say Van Winkle Special Reserve is another good one to try.

Black Maple Hill 11 year old
Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B 12 year

Two votes for Van Winkle Special Reserve.

Well,
I don't go down to Southern California commonly, but here are two well known places to buy Four Roses Single Barrel:

Hi Times in Costa Mesa
Bevmo is all over the frickin' place down there, apparently.

Any really good liquor store in SoCal should be featuring it. It's selected for "mellow moments" and should be friendly to Scotch drinkers.

Roger

Yeah, I checked those. BevMo doesn't seem to carry it and it's out of stock at Hi Times.

Top Bottom