What's new

The World's Strongest Spirits?

Nice blurb in Men's Journal about the world's strongest spirits. Anybody have anything to add to the list?

"If you've ever wondered about booze bottles bearing those curious cask- or barrel- strength labels, then mystery revealed: It turns out that the liquor industry has quietly gone "extreme" in recent years. Special editions of whiskey, vodka, gin and other potent potables are now available in levels of 51 to 70 ABV (or 102 to 140 proof) – and a few far higher – compared with more typical 40 ABV/80 proof of garden variety distilled spirits. These high-strength brews not only pack an alcohol wallop, but many are extremely flavorful, and thus stand out better when used with mixed drinks than their more diluted siblings (yes, it's true, most spirits are cut with water). Since many are twice or more as strong as your typical tipple, they'll ring your bell though if you don't treat them with the proper respect. Pour poorly at your peril."

George T. Stagg Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

proxy.php

George T. Stagg is part of Buffalo Trace's annually released Antique Collection, a compilation of five very old and very rare American whiskeys. While securing any one of Buffalo's prized five varieties can be tricky as they sell out fast, the most sought-after is Stagg. And for good reason: This limited-release bottle is aged 15-plus years, made of uncut and unfiltered rye bourbon, and packs quite a wallop at 143 proof. The resulting flavors are intense. A simple whiff reveals a beautiful, sweet, and perfectly balanced nose with hints of maple and oak, vanilla, natural wood caramel, rye, and chocolate. In the mouth, it's warm, yet somehow sweet going down. [$100; buffalotrace.com]

DeLeon Extra Añejo 51 Tequila

proxy.php

By Mexican law, tequila is classified by its age, typically: blanco (fresh), reposado (two to 12 months), or añejo (a year or more). Extra Añejo is a relatively recent classification and applies to tequilas aged three years or more in oak barrels. DeLeon 51 is aged 51 months (about 4.25 years) in "Haute Futaie" French oak barrels (which are used to produce some of the best wine barrels in the world) from manufacturer Seguin Moreau. Bottled at a bracing 102 proof, Extra Anejo 51 has a sweet, grassy bouquet of agave combined with hints of vanilla, earth, and wood from the oak. On the palate, there is a bite from the alcohol, but it's not overwhelming, and the taste of wood is evident, but not over-powering. It's a strong drink for sure, but one that goes down easy. Save this one for sipping neat, or in an ultra-premium cocktail. [$250; deleontequila.com]

Laphroaig Quarter Cask Islay Single Malt Scotch Whiskey

proxy.php

Matured in small barrels, this single malt from the legendary Scottish distiller, was created to emulate the style of the Laphroaig whiskies produced in the early 19th century. The idea is that after a standard barrel-aging, the spirit is moved to a much smaller cask, which lets 30 percent more of the spirit to come in contact with the wood of the barrel. The resulting Scotch is darker than the normal 10 Year Laphroaig, and heavier in alcohol, too, at 96 proof.
And it doesn't leave you longing, either. Pull the cork on this bottle and you're going to get a lot of smokiness, like the smell of damp wood when it burns. But to be sure, the smokiness is refined, not rough or sharp and there's a woody sweetness, like boiling maple syrup, that pervades the nose. It's more complicated than Laphroaig's 10 Year, and finishes with an interesting citrusy sweetness. But to be clear, this is not a gentle Scotch. It's bigger and bolder. [$55; laphroaig.com]

110-proof Green Chartreuse

proxy.php

Produced only by Carthusian monks tucked away in the French Alps near Grenoble, chartreuse is special. Legend has it that only two of the brothers ever know the secret recipe for Chartreuse. The story goes that each of the brothers memorizes a part of the recipe, which involves 130 herbs, plants and flowers, and since they take a vow of silence, it has remained a mystery to the outside world for over 400 years.
Chartreuse was originally produced as a digestif, consumed for its medicinal, cure-all properties. It comes in three varieties (yellow, green, and VEP elixir), but we've chosen to focus on the Green because it is the strongest (110 proof) of the syrupy trio and has the most extreme taste. In addition to its striking green color, Green Chartreuse also has a few other similarities to absinthe – there's the intense floral and herbal flavor, with hints of cloves, citrus, thyme, rosemary and cinnamon. And as it also contains a small quantity of thujone, the active chemical in wormwood, Chartreuse is said to have psychoactive qualities. So while describing the intense flavor of Chartreuse as heavenly might be a stretch, there's still a good chance that after a few sips, you might see god. [$50; chartreuse.fr]

Lemon Hart 151 Rum.

proxy.php

For most people, the numeral "151" instantly brings Bacardi rum to mind. But true tiki-cocktail connoisseurs associate the high-proof moniker with Lemon Hart 151. Punnily named for early 19th-century British rum merchant Lehman Hart, Lemon Hart 151 is made from a blend of high-proof Demerara rums that are colored with caramel and aged in Guyana. It has a heavy, complex taste with layers that include hints of burnt sugar and molasses but also tropical fruits, cinnamon, baked apples, and toasted oak. Thanks to such a wide variety of bold flavors, Lemon Hart blends well with most fruit juices and sweet liqueurs, so don't hesitate to experiment with your favorite summer cocktail. [$40; lemonhartrum.com]

Everclear Grain Alcohol.

proxy.php

Quite possibly the most potent form of liquid ever intended for human consumption, Everclear is capable of literally taking your breath away, thanks to its incredible 95 percent alcohol content. To put that into perspective: Your typical beer has an ABV of 5 to 6 percent, so you'd have to down more than two cases of brew to get the same effect as a single bottle of this stuff (which by effect we mean what doctors usually call "death"). As its name suggests, Everclear is completely clear and, despite its strength has only a slight aroma, like the faint smell of rubbing alcohol. As far as the taste goes, it's almost irrelevant as Everclear is really intended for use in punches and mixed drinks, but for the record: extremely dry with a very powerful finish that burns a streak as it goes down the throat. Alcohol at this strength is deadly dangerous if consumed to excess – which for most would be even a single shot – which is why grain alcohol is banned by several states. But used sparingly it's an efficient way to give cocktails or punches some kick without adding to or altering their flavor. [$17; luxco.com

Hapsburg Absinthe Premium Reserve

proxy.php

One of history's most romanticized and notorious spirits, this green beast with purported hallucinogenic powers - caused by thujone, a chemical found in the wormwood that's used in the distillation of absinthe - was hugely popular in Europe and major cities across the U.S and came to symbolize the Bohemian Movement in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Artists from Oscar Wilde to Vincent Van Gogh happily sipped it for creative inspiration. However, the same supposed psychoactive properties that made the liquor so popular were also its undoing, as absinthe was accused of turning children into criminals, encouraging loose morals, and inspiring murders. Thus another great liquor fell victim to the temperance movement that swept the globe at the beginning of the 20th century, and by 1915, was banned in many countries.
Thanks to the trend of artisanal everything, absinthe is seeing a welcome revival of sorts. And Hapsburg Premium Reserve is one of the most potent versions on the market, at 89.9 percent ABV (or 180 proof) – which explains the bottle's "Extra Special Super Strength" label. Sipped neat, it has a bitter taste and so is best consumed after diluting it with water and sugar. (For an added element of danger, try it Czech style: Place a sugar cube on a spoon, dip it into a shot of absinthe, and then light the sugar on fire; after it starts to melt plunge the spoon into the glass and stir fast, blow out the fire and then drink it.)One whiff instantly reveals that it is an herbal spirit, with anise and wormwood (the plant responsible for any psychoactive shenanigans) as well as peppermint, cloves, and cinnamon, among other aromatics. Sip carefully, and keep a chair safely nearby. [$65; hapsburgabsinthe.com

Redbreast 12 Year Old Cask Strength Irish Whiskey

proxy.php

Irish whiskey often unfairly gets short shrift compared to its highland counterpart, but a jigger of Redbreast soundly puts such silliness to rest. Produced by Irish Distillers (who also make heralded brands like Midleton, Paddy Powers and Jameson), Redbreast is unique among Irish whiskies sold here in the States in that it is distilled in more traditional pot stills (instead of column stills used with blends), and without the addition of grain whiskey. While Redbreast Cask Strength is just as smooth and drinkable as its diluted brethren, it is more full-flavored and noticeably darker and richer – and noticeably stronger at 115 proof. It doesn't have much of a bouquet (most Irish whiskies don't), just a slightly floral smell with hints of honey and pear. But on the tongue, it explodes with flavor, heavy on fruit essences – figs, dates, and apples. It's an unusually big and complex liquid. [$65; singlepotstill.com]

http://www.mensjournal.com/expert-advice/the-worlds-strongest-spirits-20130619

There are quite a few scotches which offer a cask strength version in the 100-130 proof range. Lagavulin 12-year, Ardbeg Uigeadail, and Auchentoshan Bordeaux Cask just to name a few sitting nearby. The laphroaig at 96 proof is not even remarkable - it seems rather out of place here.

While I enjoy the occasional cask-strength dram, I can't imagine seeking it out simply because there is a higher number on the bottle. But YMMV.

Edit: I also have a bottle of green chartreuse which I have sipped on many an evening.

I worked at a biker pub for a few years and we sold an 89.9% (180 proof) Balkan vodka. We used to give out shots to people we wanted to get rid of

The laphroaig at 96 proof is not even remarkable - it seems rather out of place here.
Not remarkable in terms of alcohol content, but it sure is in terms of flavor. I made the 'mistake' of buying a bottle based on price and the want to try a new scotch when I was new to the drink. I loved HP, Glenmorange, and a few others, but this new smokey stuff was just not quite right. It is a huge scotch that takes some training to tackle. It took me a while to get to know my first Isla, but I eventually came around. Now all of the other islas just don't seem to be all that smokey, haha. I can say that I am now a big fan of that particular beverage.

Aberlour A'bundh (spelling is butchered, sorry) is a great cask strength scotch. It's not remarkable in terms of EtOH content, but it's a good drink.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I cannot think of a widely acclaimed bourbon that does not now offer a barrel proof aka cask strength. Notably, while they tend to have stronger flavors, they do not seem hotter or less smooth on the palate. They do, however, quickly knock your pins from under you. As I am generally a 1 1/2 drink guy, I like them.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
In the 8 years since the original post there has been a big shift towards cask/barrel proof bottling by all the major and most of the craft distillers. I remember when is was unusual to see bourbons with a higher abv than 100 proof BIB offerings.

alcohol-pur-navimer-96-1l-1041279.jpg

Back before Absinthe was legalized I ordered a kit with all the herbs and bought a case of six bottles of Navimer 96% alcohol with which to distill it. I never did build the still as the next year I could buy it in Germany, where I lived, commercially. The Navimer I kept one bottle and gave the rest to a friend who had a bar.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I’m pretty sure this beats most comers. At 190 proof I use it as a solvent, never as a beverage.

In BC we can't get alcohol stronger than 100 proof/50 per cent by volume. They worry about public drunkenness, but apparently 100 proof is safe enough. [shrug] Well...we can get stronger, but there's a licence involved. What we get then is labeled as "anhydrous ethanol" and is 200 proof/100 per cent by volume.

I'm a bit unsure how they get past azeotrope at 96 per cent -- I think they're separating it with Raschig rings in a column. Distillation cannot be pushed past azeotrope without adjuncts. Benzine used to be pretty common, but then that pretty much takes it out of the the culinary category. Once the bottle's open it starts sucking moisture out of the atmosphere until it hits azeotrope again, so in my opinion you're just paying for bragging rights.

Useful stuff for tinctures and extractions, though!

O.H.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The first dead body I ever saw was due to Everclear. There were some abandoned rock quarries that we used to cliff jump into when I was in HS. About 10 of us were out one hot July afternoon when 2 guys we didn’t know pulled up and said they had some Everclear and would we like some. We declined and they drove on down to another part of the quarries. It got to about 105f that day and about 3 hours later one of the guys comes stumbling up to us and says he’s pretty sure his buddy is dead. We went down to where they had parked and sure enough he was dead. They had downed the entire bottle between the two of them. This was before cell phones so someone went to call 911 while the rest of us did CPR as best we could for 45min until the police showed up. Because of that experience I have never consumed Everclear and have tried to steer my friends away from it as well.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I’m pretty sure this beats most comers. At 190 proof I use it as a solvent, never as a beverage.
View attachment 1353421
I've imbibed the 190 over the years (not nowadays). And only as a very light mixer (I value my stomach lining). At about half what I would use of a normal (80-100 proof) spirit. The raw alcohol levels in the finished cocktail come out about the same, although the Everclear still kicks like a mule.

Like the old hair goo ad, just "a little dab will do ya." The 190 will lift your BAC into the toxic range in a hurry if you are foolish with it.

The 190 also remains my pipe sweetener of choice (when I use such things). They offer a weaker version in the 150 range, but what's the point.

I recall seeing a Polish spirit many years ago that nearly approached 200 (196?), but have never seen it since.

I have drunk Everclear a few times when I was young. I didn't use the Navimer for anything. When I left Germany, a friend took it off my hands. I left suddenly so I didn't keep much.

I work in pharmacy and we used everclear to make special medications. In Washington state you would need a special license for it. Unfortunately now it’s legal for public to buy but I stay far away from that stuff. Too darn strong!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The highest that I use to distil at home was about 90%AV (180 proof). I would water it down before adding flavouring and drinking.

In BC we can't get alcohol stronger than 100 proof/50 per cent by volume. They worry about public drunkenness, but apparently 100 proof is safe enough. [shrug] Well...we can get stronger, but there's a licence involved. What we get then is labeled as "anhydrous ethanol" and is 200 proof/100 per cent by volume.

I'm a bit unsure how they get past azeotrope at 96 per cent -- I think they're separating it with Raschig rings in a column. Distillation cannot be pushed past azeotrope without adjuncts. Benzine used to be pretty common, but then that pretty much takes it out of the the culinary category. Once the bottle's open it starts sucking moisture out of the atmosphere until it hits azeotrope again, so in my opinion you're just paying for bragging rights.

Useful stuff for tinctures and extractions, though!

O.H.

You can get 151 rums (~75%) at BCLS, and I've seen some vodkas in the 70-80% range. That's 50% thing must be an older regulation.

Top Bottom