What's new

Osage Rub

Guys, as malocchio points out, OR used to have sage oil in it. The name, I'm sure comes from that fact, and therefore the "oh-sage" pronunciation is correct. We have Osage Orange trees around here, and never even considered any other pronunciation.

View attachment 588214

And that fact, combined with reading the label on the vintage bottle in the picture, puts the question to rest.

And now, no longer hooked on aftershave phonics, I'll await the delivery of my bottle of Osage Rub...

The original did have sage herb in the formula,but I am very sure the name is from the Osage tribe of native Americans who were well known for their herbal medicines ,amongst whites,blacks and other tribes.They have a fascinating history,and got some bad bumps as time went by.

Attachments

• $osage.jpg
    $osage.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 142
  • $osage3.jpg
    $osage3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 144
  • $osage1.jpg
    $osage1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 144
is there anything cooler or facefreezinger than osage rub? any other recommendations?

Menthol Crystals in anything. I mentholated some lime sec, the first batch was so cold I had to wash it off. I just kept diluting it down with more lime sec until it was tolerable. Cold lime sec is the best. All of my mentholated AS have been spiked to a level well beyond OR.

Picked up some "Rub" at a nearby barber supply store during my lunch break. It was in the truck when I got off of work. Splashed some on while sitting in the hot and humid vehicle. All I can say is, "Wow!"

When I got home I was curious about adding it to a shaving cream. Whipped up some Kiss My Face unscented. Initially, the sprinkled on Rub started to break down the lather. But I whipped it back up and applied it to my face. Left it on for what would be the length of a shave and I could definitely feel the cooling effects. Next I might spike a mentholated cream.

I use it with Proraso green on occasion. Whips up great with a couple good shakes. It makes the menthol splash afterward even more cooling, that's for sure. Use the green pre shave as well for a super freeze.

is there anything cooler or facefreezinger than osage rub? any other recommendations?

Don't know from experience, but maybe Krampert's Finest Frostbite.

Love Osage Rub. It smells better on my skin than it does in the bottle, and isn't overpowering or long lasting. Nice cooling, but its not as strong as I expected - bracing, but bearable.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Don't know from experience, but maybe Krampert's Finest Frostbite.

Love Osage Rub. It smells better on my skin than it does in the bottle, and isn't overpowering or long lasting. Nice cooling, but its not as strong as I expected - bracing, but bearable.

Krampert's and Osage Rub are about even, as is Alcolado Glacial. Foo me, those are the three front and center during these dog days of summer. Osage is by far the most cost effective, at least last I looked, and may even be available locally.

I'm not sure we want to overdose on menthol mixed with high octane alcohol.You get to a point where it can really dry the skin out,and you may end up looking like Boris Karloff in your old age.

Finally bought, received, and tried The Rub thanks to this thread.

I'm glad I bought it. The menthol is strong, as advertised. I was pleasantly surprised that it is not drying on my skin, probably due to the natural oils. It also seems to help knock out post-shave redness, a common feature of many menthol/eucalyptus products I've been trying lately, such as the Proraso Green Splash.

In my never ending search for the ultimate menthol kick I still keep coming back to Osage Rub, nothing better for a hot, humid summer day...

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
That it is - used OR a lot during the recent heat wave. Wish they still sold it in the glass, rather than having to decant it ..

IMG_9338.JPG

Top Bottom