What's new

ZenHabits - alternate ending

Reading the ZenHabits article, I was struck by how the reasons for wet shaving are a direct parallel to those for another zen habit of mine. Try this on for size;

If I told you a way you could improve your health, save money, help the environment, and feel better about yourself by doing something you already do every day, would you be interested?

As a reader of Zen Habits with values of simplicity and efficiency … I thought so. What’s surprising is this method has been around for over a hundred years. I'm talking about bicycling - biking to work, biking to the store, biking for fun, biking everywhere!

I bike as much as I can, and I can attest to all the benefits listed in the first paragraph of the ZenHabits wetshaving article. If you have any errands that are within a couple miles, and most people do, you can easily make some of those trips by bike. If you're curious and would like more info, post here or feel free to PM me.

Take care,
Jack

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the health and lifestyle benefits of biking. However down here riding a bike on nearly any city street is to be taking your life in your hands. Yes, even if you stick to the bike lanes. Can't tell you how many stories I've seen about bikers having been clipped, gone after and/or killed by errant motorists. I'll stick to the cardio machines at the gym.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the health and lifestyle benefits of biking. However down here riding a bike on nearly any city street is to be taking your life in your hands. Yes, even if you stick to the bike lanes. Can't tell you how many stories I've seen about bikers having been clipped, gone after and/or killed by errant motorists. I'll stick to the cardio machines at the gym.

Same here. I'd love to be able to ride to work at least part of the year, but the reality is that there isn't a safe way to get from home to work and back. Riding around town though is at least doable.

Your plan sounds intriguing to me. Unfortunately, it breaks down a bit when my bike and I hit the Capitol Beltway. :biggrin:

Still, my wife and I bought hybrid (mountain/road, not battery powered!) bikes last year, and have enjoyed them thoroughly. For us, unfortuanately, bike riding must begin with strapping said bikes to the top of the Subaru and driving to where we ride.

I love to mountain bike and love to lift weights, and I'm all for the pro-green stuff.

But I must say, one of my biggest pet peeves is people who decide to ride their bikes on busy streets in rush hour traffic. One guy gets a workout riding his bike for every ten thousand people dodging him on the road in their cars. Even if they stay in the bike lanes or hug the side of the road, it's still a pain for those of us driving. It's simply selfish and inconsiderate; why not ride the bike during less traveled hours? Some would argue, that's their right to ride whenver they want. And it is. But that doesn't make it the right thing to do. Buy a jump rope if the only time you can ride is 5:30 p.m.

The hard-core rush hour bike rider hates guys like me who ride on the sidewalks, because I exploit their lack of regard for other motorists by choosing the street.

Sidewalks are more dangerous for the rider, but it's legal and that's what I do when there is heavy traffic. Just a little caution is needed and it's no big deal. If there is just light traffic, I'm on the road.

Top Bottom